Fiber Tip Refills?

Hi,

My wife likes fiber tip pens. Even though I bought a fountain pen, a ballpoint and a mechanical pencil of nice quality in the past, she kept going back to her throw away type fiber pens.

This time I bought a rollerball and replaced the refill with Caran d'Ache 8122.160 refill. She says she likes it but time will tell :lol:

During my search for a fiber tip refill I found out that there are really very few choices. Caran d'Ache seems to be the only major brand that manufactures Euro type fiber refills. I am not sure if a Montblanc RB accepts Euro type rollerball refills.

Schmidt has a nice series called FL 6040 in several colors but I managed to find only in blue and black. I also had bought Senator fiber tip refills some years ago.

Do we really have very few choices regarding fiber tip refills?

Thank you for your time,

Edited by kaissa

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaissa

• challer61

• corniche

• PaperDarts

You'll need to go back to 1969 and the "Executive Flair" :unsure: (Do not confuse that with the modern Flair "Inky Executive").

Edited by BaronWulfraed

Yes, sadly, few fiber tip refills. In the 1970's I used Sanford Expresso fiber-tip pens. I have found that they can be refilled by dunking them in a bottle of ink for 30 minutes or so. Now...

- Cross fine-point fiber tip refills are OK.

- Levengers fiber-tips are very good, better than Cross. I suspect they use Schmidt refills, just because Levengers sells ballpoint refills that seem to have been made by Schmidt.

- Parker 5th Generation is a fiber tip. The pen/holder is a bit expensive, but apparently Parker is aiming for the professional / managerial and gift-pen market.

Does anyone know of others?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Cross and Montblanc seems to be OK lengthwise at this page but I do not know if the neck of the refills will cause a fit problem. Montblanc has interesting colors for fiber refill but I do not want to waste my money on it if it will not fit a pen that takes standard Euro type refills. I assume Montblanc fiber and roller refills have the same physical dimensions :) .

Edited by kaissa

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

• 1 month later...

Levenger makes a good fiber tip refill, but I do not recall off hand what other brands they are compatible with. If I recall correctly, Schmidt and Monteverde make one too.

If you want a new fibertip that offers some color options, take a look at the Yooker line. I know Fountain Pen Hospital was carrying them, and I think Fahrney's. You can refill them from fountain pen ink.

I have a couple, and have not used them a lot yet, so I cannot speak to the longevity of the tips yet.

Edited by TradArch

• 2 weeks later...

What about Platinum Preppy Sign Markers? There is a converter available, or you can use it as a dropper fill by adding an o-ring and silicone grease. Then she can use just about any bottled ink.

I really liked those nice refillable Flair fibre tip pens from the early 1970s. I'll be checking out the other possibilities mentioned in this thread, thanks to all for the ideas.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I can relate; I wish I could find felt tip refills for my Parker Big Reds and No Nonsense Sheaffers.

Felt tips came out in the 1960's; hit their zenith in the 1970's and all but disappeared in the 1980/90's, but have been making a slight resurgence lately. I wish they'd go back to their 70's stature; I've always liked them. (And Sharpies bleed like stuck pigs). :(

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

The schmidt are great and can be found in many places, with a search. Amazon has a many of the colors it turns out.

The Mont Blanc can be used but are expensive and must be modified.

My wife loves the Preppy Platinums. Not fancy pens but refillable, colorful felt tips.

Other have figured out how to employe a felt tip in a fountain pen, similar to how the Platinum Preppy system works. I've never got around to trying it as I'm happy with the Schmidt.