How Much Nib Is Too Much? P 51

jcrowemag

Technically speaking.....how much nib should be exposed on a 51? I have these two examples. Both write great. They seat differently though. One sears a little deeper.

78BA713D-C3BD-4334-9726-AB05A17F9560.jpeg

Edited by jcrowemag

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• Parker51

• jcrowemag

• Estycollector

Strange. The blue one was done by me( first timer) and the grey was done by a professional. Hahahahaha.

Reminds me of a saying, " a man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two is never quite sure".

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to seat fully, but yeah, definitely the blue one is correct.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

If you read the repair manual for the Parker 51 you will understand the difficulty. Specifically, the nib is dependent on the hood for its position. This means that one has to carefully measure or know from experiance and memory where to position the nib and feed based on an estimate of how the hood will move them into their final position rather than simply placing the nib last as is typical of most pens.

If you read the repair manual for the Parker 51 you will understand the difficulty. Specifically, the nib is dependent on the hood for its position. This means that one has to carefully measure or know from experiance and memory where to position the nib and feed based on an estimate of how the hood will move them into their final position rather than simply placing the nib last as is typical of most pens.

Interesting!

I've always just pushed the nib in as far as it will go, then screwed the hood on.

Occasionally, it would stick out too far. I always took that as an indication that I hadn't fully seated the nib, so I would remove the hood and push the nib in further until it sat where i wanted/expected it!

Thank you. I consider this my "thing i learned today" :)

Strange. The blue one was done by me( first timer) and the grey was done by a professional. Hahahahaha.

If the grey one writes well, just ignore the nib peeking out. There could have been other reasons the pro decided that extra nib length was the best option.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Please explain.

I thought that there is a step inside the collector and that you insert the nib/feed until it contacts that step/shelf/stop.

Aligning the nib with the Hood is a matter of rotation, and you had to set the nib/feed/collector in the correct angular location before you screw the Hood on or the nib/feed will be out of alignment with the hole in the Hood.

Yeah its not a meter of rotation. Its a matter of exposed nib from the hood. It is strange because before sending to the repair person the nib kind of snapped into place when it hit the step in the collector. It a hard snap but when seated you could defiantly here a little click. After receiving the pen back you can no longer hear a positive seated sound. Anyone know what that could be?

I tried to post the pages from the 1947 Parker Repair Manual that I have stored in Dropbox, but I was unsuccessful in doing so. It goes into great detail and even has illustrations. I don't know if the source for this information is still available, but if I can locate it I will post it.

https://archive.org/stream/ParkerPenServiceManuals/Parker%20Service%20Manual%20c1960#page/n49/mode/2up

1960 Parker manual

Page 51

recommends actually pushing the nib in by pressing it point down into a "hard surface" which i personally find terrifying... and i've never had to do that. But it DOES say to "seat(ing) it firmly against the shoulder of the inner collector". a couple pages prior it shows a nib that is properly seated vs not. In ref to the OPs photos, the Grey is NOT.

Please explain.

I thought that there is a step inside the collector and that you insert the nib/feed until it contacts that step/shelf/stop.

Aligning the nib with the Hood is a matter of rotation, and you had to set the nib/feed/collector in the correct angular location before you screw the Hood on or the nib/feed will be out of alignment with the hole in the Hood.

This.

Per the illustration of the repair manual, the old idea was to use as a heat source an open flame from an alchol lamp. Not something I would be comfortable doing.

And, I will add a caution, it appears that some shells and likely other parts of early Parker 51s have lost some of their thermoplastic properties. I have a Parker 51 from the early 1940s that had a shell which when heated did not go back to its origonal,shape and had to be replaced. Thus, the idea presented in the repair catalog regarding this may no longer be appropriate, irrespective of the heat source used.

https://archive.org/stream/ParkerPenServiceManuals/Parker%20Service%20Manual%20c1960#page/n49/mode/2up

1960 Parker manual

Page 51

recommends actually pushing the nib in by pressing it point down into a "hard surface" which i personally find terrifying... and i've never had to do that. But it DOES say to "seat(ing) it firmly against the shoulder of the inner collector". a couple pages prior it shows a nib that is properly seated vs not. In ref to the OPs photos, the Grey is NOT.

Thank you for posting this link. It will save me some time finding it, or a simialer one.

The file came from the PCA. It is due for a new scan but for now https://pencollectorsofamerica.org/reference-library/parker/

The documents are in approximate chronological order. Go about half way down.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.