Black Pen Society

silverlifter

Is this still a thing? Is it exclusively a north american membership?

I sent an email to David Isaacson at the start of the year enquiring about membership, but heard nothing back.

I'm not on Facebook, nor do I have any desire to join that platform, so that in itself may be disqualifying... :P

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Hanoi

• silverlifter

• inkstainedruth

Is this still a thing? Is it exclusively a north american membership?

I sent an email to David Isaacson at the start of the year enquiring about membership, but heard nothing back.

I'm not on Facebook, nor do I have any desire to join that platform, so that in itself may be disqualifying... :P

Try emailing Paul Erano (plerano(at)aol.com). I trust you know what to do with the (at). Paul is the Grand Poobah of the group. They usually have a meeting at the D.C. pen show every year.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I second emailing Paul Erano. He answered my email about joining (last year) while at a pen show in Miami.

You basically buy the membership pin, and you’re in.

Posted Image

It's just a bunch of people hanging out, some of them smoking big cigars, and chatting about whatever, while they have a black pen in some pocket. :)

do they speak Italian and eat Chinese food?

gf6.jpg

bad english and whisky. at least the one time I was able to join in. :)

Good English and bad whisky would have been much worse. What do you think? :)

Alfredo

Paul got back to me promptly and, it seems, the wheels are in motion. :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Black Pen Society. Out of 275 pens, I only own 18 black pens :wacko: This post forced

me to stop and do a count. I wonder why I do not own more black fountain pens? Well,

no room at the table for me. ;)

I have more black pens, proportionally, than any other color. But I refuse to join the Black Pen Society on general principle: the only reason I have so many Is because the bulk of my pens are black is because they're vintage, and that's what I found in the wild most of the time. I don't buy black pens by choice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So, I went in a completely different thought direction. This is about black pens....LOL!!

I have a black Esterbrook pen and pencil set and a Eberhard Faber. I find I visually prefer a contrasting metal and plastic combination.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Black pens are great - I enjoy their simplicity and minimalism which accentuates the shape and I enjoy writing with a bright ink which wonderfully contrasts the black. There's something about a black pen with silver fittings (not gold) that really ticks my box, and the Conid Kingsize in ebonite does it for me.

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

I too prefer my black pens with silver fittings, But often gold is how they come. Still nice with gold, but Silver/rhodium would be my preference given the choice

very nice pens BTW.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Black actually has numerous tones and textures. I think you can own a collection of like 20 black pens and all of them will not be identical in the barrel section.

True. On Wednesday evening, Steel City Nibs had a Zoom get together, and one guy had recently bought 3 black pens -- two of which were the same brand and model (I want to say Omas, but don't remember for sure). One was a matte finish and the other had a textured finish.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have more black pens, proportionally, than any other color. But I refuse to join the Black Pen Society on general principle: the only reason I have so many Is because the bulk of my pens are black is because they're vintage, and that's what I found in the wild most of the time. I don't buy black pens by choice.

Most of my pens are black by choice and have been since childhood. The BPS should join me. :)

The Black Pen Society is not against buying colorful pens according to a post I saw on Facebook (not a member, but they don’t stop non-members from looking).

My collection has a rainbow of colors, including under 20 black pens.

I joined last year via email. I suppose I’m now a lapsed member. Cute member pins though.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

They recently did an exclusive run with Karas Kustoms, so I am sure they are alive and kicking! :-)