The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Where To Buy Penbbs Inks

penbbs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noddle

noddle

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2020 - 18:43

I have become quite enamoured with Penbbs inks lately, especially some in the older series, two in particular:

270 Strawberry Milkshake

272 Haworthia

Vanness only has samples of 270, but I'd prefer to buy a full bottle as prices are reasonable.

So my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable retailer of Penbbs inks (inc. older stock) that will ship to UK?

2. If anyone has had dealings with YOYCART.com  or  GlobalMall.com, were they reliable? 

3. What shipping restrictions and import issues there may be.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before.

Much appreciated.

Pens:  Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller (2)
Inks:   Diamine Raw Sienna   Diamine Burnt Sienna  -  GvFC India Red  -  KWZ Dark Brown  -  KWZ Ig Red #3

Iroshizuku Yama-Guri  -  Noodler's Saguaro Wine  MB Homage to Hadrian

Sponsored Content

#2 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:41

You may get more bites in the Chinese section. There are some very knowledgeable people there.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:44

ebay and luck. It's technically illegal to sell fountain pen ink out of china, so people are smuggling them into HK and shipping from there. I've had no problems with the seller I used for the two bottles I got, but they aren't selling any more.

So short answer - no, there are no steady retailers for penBBS ink (or any chinese ink for that matter) due to laws. I wouldn't be too worried about buying it on ebay or aliexpress or taobao however. I had no problems having chinese inks shipped to the US - unsure if the UK would care about VAT, but once it's past chinese customs, there should be no problems.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 Methanius

Methanius

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:33

It's not all of their inks, but sakurafountainpengallery.com sells some PenBBS inks.

Edited by Methanius, 16 June 2020 - 11:34.

#5 noddle

noddle

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 22:47

Thanks for all the suggestions, think I'll try and place an order this week.

Pens:  Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller (2)
Inks:   Diamine Raw Sienna   Diamine Burnt Sienna  -  GvFC India Red  -  KWZ Dark Brown  -  KWZ Ig Red #3

Iroshizuku Yama-Guri  -  Noodler's Saguaro Wine  MB Homage to Hadrian

#6 DrRoger

DrRoger

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:53

Rather late to this but, as the OP might have seen, Vanness are doing a 10% discount on PenBBS inks - the usual disclaimers re affiliation apply. V. much a satisfied customer though. Good range of inks & reasonable delivery £. 

#7 bugsydog55

bugsydog55

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2020 - 19:04

There are some sellers on TaoBao and I have used TBFocus as an agent.  There is a monster market of Chinese inks we never see here in the US.  Currently have a box stuck in Chicago containing some of this unobtanium.  It didn't take all that long to get from China to Chicago but it is stalled there for the last two weeks.  There are some sellers of Pen BBS inks on the Taobao platform but the availability could be sketchy.  Seems that Pen BBS either rotates their production or closes it out for older series of inks.  I tried for several but kept getting out of stock notices.  If you have time, it makes for great shopping because the prices are just plain ridiculously low but it does come with a downside.  Shipping could break your piggy bank so beware.

#8 Antenociticus

Antenociticus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 20:55

I've bought PenBBS inks via both eBay and AliExpress, but not for more than a year.

It was clear that stocks were running low at the sellers I was using – fewer and fewer colours available – and then two of the last bottles I ordered never arrived. The seller gave me a ridiculous runaround and I had to initiate a complaint at eBay in order to get a refund after months of waiting. At the time of the dispute, the seller stopped selling PenBBS inks. He (I assume it was a he) was the only eBay seller.

There no longer seems to be anyone selling them on AliExpress, either.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

#9 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2020 - 15:25

270 Strawberry Milkshake
272 Haworthia
Vanness only has samples of 270, but I'd prefer to buy a full bottle as prices are reasonable.

There no longer seems to be anyone selling them on AliExpress, either.

I saw some large bottles available on AliExpress just now, including #270 Strawberry Milkshake and #272 Haworthia cooperi Baker:
https://www.aliexpre...2880752298.html

"Free shipping", but the bottle price is far higher than I'm prepared to pay for a bottle of Chinese ink, especially when my experience with ink being shipped from China has not been great.

The seller also has some other listings of PenBBS inks, not all being the large (60ml) bottles, and not all are priced to include "free" international shipping. In some cases, the shipping fee by the cheapest delivery method just about doubles the price for a single bottle.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 19 September 2020 - 17:45.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs

Sponsored Content

|