Remembering Anthony (Aka Parkerduofold)

BernieC

Anthony's posts were friendly, knowledgeable and always courteous and set the standard for what FPN could and should be.

I still miss his contribution and hope that some day there will be another ParkerDuofold to fill the gap in our community.

RIP.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Bo Bo Olson

• Carrau

• Beechwood

Jesus, it's already been a year?

Seems like it was only a couple months ago.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Jesus, it's already been a year?

Almost.

And if he is gone (I can't vouch for anything on the internet), then I hope that he is resting comfortably in the arms of his God and his family,

Me too. He once wrote, in reply to one of my posts, "I like the warm, glowing hearth of an echochamber." I hope that is his eternity, if there is such a thing at all. I still remember telling — in a positive manner — my then-fiancée (now wife) of his comments, and just hours later that very day I read the shocking news and had to share it with her.

He was one of very few I've encountered on any online forum who seemed to truly understand that respect and agreement are not synonymous with each other, or that one is a requirement of the other; and that people's feelings and sentiments are not ultimately boundaries in the social compact that one must avoid breaching at all. If we were in the same taekwondo club, I'd imagine we could spar in session, give each other a few bruises mercilessly as equals or even serve up a big dish of defeat (in that particular instance), and still have a beer afterwards with only camaraderie and no ill-will.

Rest in peace.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

To return to the subject of Anthony, what is excellent is that he had a good and positive effect on the forum and resolved situations where one party was often seen as argumentative or prone to flaring posts, I always thought that he would have made an excellent Moderator in the old fashionned sense of the word, someone who resolves disputes.

A great skill from a man that is sadly missed.

I missed this yesterday.

As everybody else has already said, I liked Anthony a lot and always enjoyed reading his posts.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure wherever he is he's keeping a close eye on things here.

He may even be looking in on this topic and smiling.....

He certainly was two weeks ago. Somebody logged into his account.

Last Active Jun 22 2020 23:17

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Perhaps it was the coworker who informed of his death on this forum.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Perhaps it was the coworker who informed of his death on this forum.

Could be the same woman......Anything is possible......

Fred

Blink.

Why am I now thinking of the old movie The Big Clock, where Ray Milland's character worked for. a magazine tracking down missing criminals and such by little things those people slipped up on, or had quirks in their personalities they couldn't let go of -- the embezzler who collected stamps found at an auction of rare First Day covers, etc. If you've never seen the movie, it's worth seeing for Elsa Lanchester alone (even if you hate thrillers) playing a somewhat dingbatty Greenwich Village artist; I read her autobiography years ago and it sounded as if that was the type of atmosphere she was brought up in, and she's clearly having fun with the role, pretty much stealing every scene she's in. :D Without giving any of the plot away, the scene where she's doing an "artist's sketch" for the police is HILARIOUS.

There's a part of me thinking that Anthony is still alive for some reason (in witness protection or something). And I keep wondering if there would be a plot twist like in the movie. It wouldn't be anything really obvious like putting flowers on his wife's grave, but some little "tell" that the cops might not necessarily know. So if you ever see a guy around 50 years old, hanging out at a muscle car show with a NJ accent and writing with a fountain pen.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Anthony was a Catholic, as I am. His faith and his devotion to the church, however, was much greater and genuine than mine. I respected him for that and admired that he had the courage to put at the bottom of his page - on every single post - "please recite the rosary each day" (may not be the exact wording). I had not recited the rosary for over thirty years, but on the day that I learned that he had died I recited the rosary in his honor. I know that he and I did not share the same political views, but nevertheless he was one of a kind and his humor and consideration for others is missed, especially in these times of discord.

I took a long break from the forum and came back not knowing Anthony was gone. I had been looking out for him posting, remembering his kindness. I just found this thread. :(

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Yeah, it was a shock when his executive secretary posted on here about his passing last year (she knew that the forum was "important" to him).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

He was one of the first people to interact with my silly newbie posts a year or two back. Even in a few typed words one was immediately struck by Anthony's enthusiasm, gentleness and kindness.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

From Anthony I learned that one doesn't have to be physically present to make a difference in the world, that you can get to know someone you've never met--may never meet--and that person can change your life. I think, as many have said before me, that Anthony will always be with us in some way, reminding us of what a deep and generous heart can give to this world.

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

This was probably done by one of his older brothers or his mother, who most likely came across (or were informed of) this thread. They probably wanted to chime in; not realizing that "Fondly Remembered" member accounts are usually locked against posting.

I'm disappointed at a few of the posts in here that border on besmirching,... but then again, I'm not surprised... that's the penalty of leadership... and the one thing Anthony was without equal, was a leader. May he rest in peace.

I remember this being one of his favorites and in his case; quite fitting, he truly was:

https://youtu.be/JGAV8wvYdVI

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

[...]

I'm disappointed at a few of the posts in here that border on besmirching,... but then again, I'm not surprised... that's the penalty of leadership... and the one thing Anthony was without equal, was a leader. May he rest in peace.

[...]

- Sean :)

Originally I didn't want to write something into this thread, because Anthony and I had some differences on certain topics and we argued about our opinions... strongly. Though our other conversations usually were civilized and friendly.

Reading your post I think you do some people wrong. I see no besmirching here. There were never ill wishes between the lines. Just the truth. He was no saint. Nor a devil. Human. Just as perfect or flawed as we all are.

All I do is wish his family all the best and the strength to master these difficult times.

Edited by Astron

Originally I didn't want to write something into this thread, because Anthony and I had some differences on certain topics and we argued about our opinions... strongly. Though our other conversations usually were civilized and friendly.

Reading your post I think you do some people wrong. I see no besmirching here. There were never ill wishes between the lines. Just the truth. He was no saint. Nor a devil. Human. Just as perfect or flawed as we all are.

All I do is wish his family all the best and the strength to master these difficult times.

Perhaps you're right; perhaps you're wrong... I interpreted a few of the posts as "slanted" and in poor taste, given the circumstances.

That said, only God KNOWS what's really in our hearts... the rest of us guess... and none of us are strangers to being wrong.

S. :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.