The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Quality Control Of Moonman Nibs

9 replies to this topic

#1 MadAsAHatter

MadAsAHatter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2020 - 17:10

I don't know what's going on but it seems like the Moonman nibs are having some quality control issues recently.  The last few Moonman pens I got had dry, scratchy nibs with the tines crushed together to the point where there was almost no ink flow.  It wasn't a big deal to fix, mainly had to open the slit and then do a light smoothing.  I've seen a few posts where others have recently had the same or similar issues.  The pens and nib units I've gotten in the past never had this problem and would write pretty well out the box.

Has anyone else had this issue with Moonman nibs recently and/or know what's going on with them? 

Sponsored Content

#2 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:37

#5 or #6 nibs, and which model?

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#3 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:59

I have adopted a 'three strikes you're out' rule. I couldn't honestly apply this to expensive pens! Anyway, three Moonman dry and scratchy nibs later I'm afraid I'm not touching them again.

It is possible I've had the worst of luck with Moonman (and others) but I suspect there is a return to the bad old days of simply rotten pens coming out of China. I've gone through a number of cheap brands in the last year and every last one has gone straight in the bin. For a short while things looked like they were greatly improving, but the rapid slide back into the days of pens that simply don't write, really bad design faults and bits that break have left me feeling I won't be buying any Chinese pens again. I was prepared to roll the dice on them when they were a few euro, but when they produce garbage and charge ten to twenty euro I'm just not going to bite again in a hurry.

#4 Thymen

Thymen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 15:26

I have five Moonman M600S pens, and all are smooth, consistent writers. They did take some work, but in my opinion that is to be expected from cheaper pens.

All nibs required some serious flossing, as the tines were too tight. A little smoothing, and now they are great.

#5 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 19:01

I have several Moonmans, but I swapped out their nibs pretty much as soon as I got them.....

#6 MadAsAHatter

MadAsAHatter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 19:35

#5 or #6 nibs, and which model?

An M8 with #6 and an S1 with #5.  Both were the same, the tines were so tight there was almost no ink flow.  The fix for both was pulling on the shoulders a little to open up the slit.  After that the ink flow was good and thew wrote fairly smoothly.  They could probably use a little bit more smoothing but they are good enough for me now.  

I have five Moonman M600S pens, and all are smooth, consistent writers. They did take some work, but in my opinion that is to be expected from cheaper pens.

All nibs required some serious flossing, as the tines were too tight. A little smoothing, and now they are great.

I bought a couple of the M600S pens and didn't have any issues, but that was a while back before I got the M8 & S1.  They wrote really well, no tuning necessary.

It just seem like in the past everyone said how good Moonman nibs were then all of a sudden I'm seeing reviews that their nibs are now not so great.  This has been my personal experience also.  Just wondering what changed.

Edited by MadAsAHatter, 23 June 2020 - 19:36.

#7 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 21:43

My experience with Moonman is not great either.

When I got an M100 I got this

fpn_1592947395__img_1875-3.jpg

fpn_1592947551__img_1876-2.jpg

I had to work quite a bit on the nib before I could get it to write properly. It was not misaligned, it had some sort of worse defect, I ended up sort of grinding it at length on micromesh. I had already decided to change the nib but them managed to get it to write somehow...

I then ordered a M600s. The pen I received was defected (a problem with the cap). The seller sent me a replacement pen but did not ask to send the defected pen back. Luckily because the replacement pen had a faulty nib (scratchy). So out of two defected pens I got one that's working...

I risked a second M600s and this one was ok nib and all.

Not a high score though...1 out of 3. I stopped at that one.

#8 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 22:06

I have several Moonmans, but I swapped out their nibs pretty much as soon as I got them.....

Are they interchangeable with Jowo or Bock nibs? 

#9 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2020 - 23:19

I have found their #6 nibs reliable but utterly boring. Not precise, blobby and dry.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#10 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:10

The generic #5 (not the schmidt ones in the 100) are solid and reliable.

The #6's can be hit or miss, about as good as penbbs.

Generally though, they're easy to tune and the money you're spending is not on the tuning of the nib (which you can do yourself) but the quality of everything else.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|