The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How To Darken Writing When Using A Cartridge?

cartridge converter waterman ink cartridge fountain pen converter fountain pen ink

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mysterious Mose

Mysterious Mose

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 20:59

Inspired by a Goulet blog and instructional video, I've discovered a new way to clean Waterman fountain pens which use converters or cartridges.  I've always flushed the pen by filling and rinsing, filling and rinsing, etc., with a converter.  The new way is to remove the converter or cartridge, then use running water to flush out the nib and feed, and fill and rinse the converter by itself.  I've got a bulb syringe on order.

However, I've immediately run into a problem.  After doing this flushing, if I insert an ink cartridge and start writing, the writing is very faint.  It takes a lot of writing before the writing darkens to a usable level.  Dipping the pen in ink makes very little difference. Any suggestions on how to speed up the process of getting my writing to be dark enough?

Relevant details: Waterman Expert GT and Waterman Phileas pens, Waterman Intense Black and Serenity Blue 75mm cartridges.  The Phileas is about 10 years old, the Expert ir 6 months old.  I use a variety of inks. 

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris

Sponsored Content

#2 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 21:06

I usually leave the pen in a cup with a bit of kitchen roll in the bottom. 

The kitchen roll abosrbs the water - and by morning you are ready to go.

I find dipping the nib helps, or puttig the cartridge in and leaving the pen nib down for a while. 

If you are using the same colour, it's much easier to not flush - just pop in a new cartridge and go. 

#3 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 21:24

Or, if feeling confident, shake the water out, as one would shake an older thermometer. Then wrap the nib/feed with a tissue and hold firmly for a minute. If you have more time, in addition, let it air dry for an hour.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#4 taimdala

taimdala

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 21:32

For what it's worth, I generally put my freshly rinsed/cleaned/towel-dried nibs/feed into a clean and dry plastic container with a silica gel packet and put on the lid. I do this just before going to bed at night and generally in the morning things are ready to go.

The only problem I've had so far with this method is sometimes I get sucked into cleaning "just one more pen" til 3 am! Other than that, having my pens dry while I sleep is a pretty painless way to wait before inking them again.

#5 Mysterious Mose

Mysterious Mose

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 23:55

Sandy101, what is a kitchen roll?

Thanks for these suggestions.

So far, I've left the pen lying down horizontally and uncapped and that seems to help.

Karmachanic - I remember those thermometers.  I think I still have two of them.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris

#6 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:52

Sandy101, what is a kitchen roll?

A roll of kitchen paper towels, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kitchen+roll

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#7 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:49

All of the above, but I also blow through the pen to dry the internals of the pen before using a Kleenex or similar to dry the the nib and feed. I know that some people just dip the feed and nib into the new ink instead.

Straight roads do not make skilled drivers

#8 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 18:03

fpn_1591725803__img_5897.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 21:06

You don't need to rinse a pen unless you're changing inks, accidentally let it dry out, or much more than once or twice a year.

But when you do, you can place it nib down with the point touching a paper towel. This will wick out the water through the nib and feed for the most part (enough to re-ink) in 10-30 minutes.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#10 Kenlowe

Kenlowe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:34

Must admit that I am very boring with my pen use, I fill a pen, use the ink up, wash and dry the pen, put it away and repeat with a new choice of pen.

I follow the practice of cleaning and drying, inside and out.

#11 fc2462

fc2462

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2020 - 14:28

I have enough pens that usually when I flush one out, it's because I'm taking it out of my daily rotation and/or it's getting a new ink color.  In this case, I usually just let it air dry on a paper towel overnight.

If I'm in a rush to change inks, I have used a can of compressed air (electronic duster) to blow out any excess water in combination with wicking out the water with paper towel.  This usually results in a dry pen within 30 to 60 minutes and ready to be re-inked.

I rarely, if ever, flush a pen just to refill with the same ink.

#12 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 15:31

Careful with that canned air. The propellants may have nasties that are deleterious (from vague memory) to the long term happiness of your pens.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#13 fc2462

fc2462

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:14

Careful with that canned air. The propellants may have nasties that are deleterious (from vague memory) to the long term happiness of your pens.

Yes, it does talk about that on the can.  You have to make sure to hold the can upright otherwise the nasty stuff comes out with the air.  So far, I've not had a problem.  But, again, I don't use this technique unless I'm trying to rush something so it's very infrequent.  Good point to remember though and it can be risky.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cartridge, converter, waterman, ink cartridge, fountain pen converter, fountain pen ink

Sponsored Content

|