Vintage Pilot Custom Collection

Silviu

I've just added 2 vintage Pilot Custom FP to my collection. Now I have nine of them.

Is there any reference to the various Custom patterns models that were produced?

DSC_0802.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• Silviu

• KingsCountyWriter

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a gorgeous collection. I'm looking into adding a few more Sterling Silver and Stainless steel instruments to my collection. I believe those are pens 6 and 8 counting from the left? Do they all have the white gold 18k nibs?

It's unfortunate that there isn't much info on the web about these pens. I enjoy writing with mine.

You are missing a few. From part of what was my collection. Sorry for the quality. Had to go to the wayback machine as it is easier than searching old files. There are a few super rare others too.

post-388-0-27162700-1591580540_thumb.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thank you Stan! I've remembered seeing your photo some 8 or 9 years ago (or maybe more) , but could not find it now by searching the web or the forum.

It seems I have to walk some more along this road in order to add the ones I'm missing. While the Budhist scripts can be found they command very high prices, while the textured ones I don't have, I've never seen for sale ...

Edited by Silviu

That's a gorgeous collection. I'm looking into adding a few more Sterling Silver and Stainless steel instruments to my collection. I believe those are pens 6 and 8 counting from the left? Do they all have the white gold 18k nibs?

It's unfortunate that there isn't much info on the web about these pens. I enjoy writing with mine.

Most of them have 18K WG nibs, but some have the 18K yellow gold one and the black plastic one has a 1975 14K yellow gold nib

Most of them have 18K WG nibs, but some have the 18K yellow gold one and the black plastic one has a 1975 14K yellow gold nib

Here are the 3 nib types I have

DSC_0810.jpg

The original short-lived black plastic Pilot Custom came with a typical inlaid nib and not the big inlaid nib.

Nib types for the Custom came in every type of gold. Some were specific to certain finishes.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Is there a good source for information about this line of vintage Pilot pens? I've started to collect a few, and now that I have more than a couple, I'd be willing to open one up with some guidance. Are there any resources that anyone has come across? I've seen the info gathered on tomattarashinu.com, which is great, but is there anything else? What about in Japanese?

Is there a good source for information about this line of vintage Pilot pens? I've started to collect a few, and now that I have more than a couple, I'd be willing to open one up with some guidance. Are there any resources that anyone has come across? I've seen the info gathered on tomattarashinu.com, which is great, but is there anything else? What about in Japanese?

The referenced site is a sales site that does not contain much background information on makes and models of Japanese pens. To the best of my knowledge there are no sites that catalogue older Pilot 9or, any other manufacturers) pens. The photo above was from my now defunct site, ryojusen-pens.com and was part of my collection of Pilot Customs, Delux, and other pens.

There are other sites like Bruno Taut's and this: https://ameblo.jp/kamisama-samasama/. This site is the best one for vintage pens. You will need to spend time here and search. It is tedious but, worthwhile for the breadth of history, models, and details of various pens. Good luck.

I thought is might be of interest to add the following from my site that describes the pens in the photograph. Also find a table of date codes. It is not complete...obviously...but, is a work in progress to provide an idea of when certain models of Pilot Custom were released.

The above three pens are considered prototypes by some. Pilot confirmed they are not and are regular issue. The three feature gold trim and gold 14K nibs.

• Crosshatch - Sterling Silver - 18K White Gold nib.
  • Pine Tree - Polished steel. Engraved design with black lacquer fill. Clear lacquer over all. 18K W.G. nib.
  • Black Stripe - Stainless Steel. Engraved stripes. Black lacquer fill. 14K White Gold nib. ¥6,000.
  • White Stripe - Stainless Steel. Engraved Stripes. No fill. 18K W.G. nib. Thought by some to be prototype. All known are used.
  • Bible Quotation - Sterling Silver, Polished. Engraved quotation from John 3:16. 14K White Gold nib.
  • Hannya (Heart) Sutra - Sterling Silver, Polished. Engraved Characters. 18K W.G. Gold nib.
  • Hannya Sutra - Sterling Silver, Raised Characters. 18K White Gold nib. ¥17,000
  • Hannya Sutra - Black Hiramakie with Gold Characters. 18K Gold nib.
  • Hannya Sutra - Red Hiramakie with Gold Characters.
  • Limited Edition - Red Hiramakie with Gold Characters. Made for Sokagakkai, a Buddhist organization.
  • Limited Edition - Sterling Silver, Raised Characters. 18K W.G. nib. Made for unknown medical organization.
  • Maple - 18K Gold nib. ¥7,000.
  • Black - Plastic cap and barrel. 18K Gold nib. ¥5,000.
  • Black - Plastic cap and barrel. 14K Gold fingernail type nib. ¥5,000. Seen in Signature, Falcon, and Music types. Found on some earlier models.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

The kamisama-samasama site is a wonderful resource of images. It is unfortunate that more information isn't available for technical assistance. I will be scrolling through karmisama for awhile. Thanks for the link!

I've just added 2 vintage Pilot Custom FP to my collection. Now I have nine of them.

Is there any reference to the various Custom patterns models that were produced?

attachicon.gif DSC_0802.jpg

very nice indeed :thumbup: . i only have 2 from the collection.

-rudy-

The original short-lived black plastic Pilot Custom came with a typical inlaid nib and not the big inlaid nib.

Nib types for the Custom came in every type of gold. Some were specific to certain finishes.

Hello Stan,

Where can one find a picture of the typical inlaid nib of the short lived black plastic model?

Thanks,

Silviu

The nibs are the same as the larger Pilot Elite or E models of the era. Two photos of a Music and Falcon nib seen on Customs were posted on my old website. Here is the way back machine link: http://web.archive.org/web/20120310213936/http://ryojusen-pens.com/17.html

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Hello Stan. I must have spent a few hours since last night around your Ryojusen Pens website. What a great resource! I especially liked the idea of the Yahoo! Auction results and commentary. My knowledge of Japanese is limited, and what I know about pens is much less, but I thoroughly enjoy spending time looking at the various options available on Y!A.

I would love to see someone look at pens on Y!A now. It didn't seem as if Wayback saved many pages of that portion of your site.

Great work though. I hope that it continues to be accessible through Wayback.

• 3 weeks later...

What cartridges do these pens take, please?

They take standard Pilot cartridges.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Are the old Pilot Lady pens also Pilot Customs?

These:

fpn_1593922050__lady.jpg

They bare a different model.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens