The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Appreciation Thread

fpupulin

I have been convinced by max dog's posts to try the Montblanc Blue Permanent, in spite of the warnings about being a clogging ink.

I still have to see what it will happens with my pen after a few refills, but I have to say that at first glance I love this ink. I really like the simple, unpretending shadow of blue, the controlled wetness that helps maintaining control of the fine strokes with the Calligraphy 149, the beautiful nuances that this ink is capable of with a flexible nib, and that it dries out so quickly.

Thank you, my friend, for the good suggestion!

fpn_1600617884__montblanc_149_calligrphy

To be safe, rinse the pen between refills. Once Permanent Blue dries in the feed and between the nib and feed it will take a lot of time and effort to clean out. Took me forever to get my 146 to the point where it would write, but only if I primed the feed every paragraph or so. Finally got it writing correctly after running two fills of Pelikan Royal Blue though it and then a final cleaning with JB Flush (the amount of old ink that came out was shocking). Read somewhere on FPN that running a "safe ink" though would help to clean out old ink. Worked for me.

Edited by Tasmith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• invisuu

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1601148773__whatsapp_image_2020-09-2

A writing sample exhibiting the "normal" un-flexed characteristics of this nib for those who have stilled not pulled the trigger even after admiring the beautiful calligraphy work of fpupulin and wisdom of maxdog in this thread. Inked with Pilot Blue Black. Paper is Lamy.

Written with regular pressure with no attempt at flexing. A true extra fine nib. Significant feedback compared to a broad nib. Ink flow on the dryer side (still in Week 1). But expecting it to improve with time as most users have noticed.

In these two handwritten pages on a simple lined Moleskine notebook (of the sewed type, sold in sets of 3), I wanted to compare the flexible nib of the Montblanc 149 Calligaphy with the calligraphic nib of another of my fountain pens. To make the test more challenging, I did not choose any calligraphic nib, but my best example: an extra-fine 14K Omas Extra nib (much rarer than the fine size tip) with heart vent (the best), mounted on a Gentlemen pen that I bought new a few years ago. The whole was produced in 19657.

Beside, or below, each of the writings I have noted with which nib it was performed (even the name of the pen is written with its same nib).
The last notes, on three lines, are written quickly, to evaluate the effect of the nib when used in a "non-calligraphic" way.
fpn_1601498719__due_pagine_a_confronto.j
To truly expert eyes, it will appear that the OMAS Extra nib still has a slight margin, because the tip is very sharp, very pointed. But, in the practical test, I would say that the Calligraphy nib holds up against my best vintage calligraphy nib, to the point of being almost indistinguishable.
My work here is done...

fpupulin: This is a fantastic comparison and demonstration. I was curious about how the MB Calligraphy pen stacks up against vintage nibs. Here you have a vintage Omas Extra, no less! On one hand, if MB Calligraphy can compete with Omas vintage nib, it would be worthy of a serious consideration. On the other hand, meanwhile I still don't have the MB Calligraphy, I can take comfort in that nib performance wise, it's great to know that vintage pens and nibs are such great value for their costs. Thank you for taking the time to do this, much appreciated!

To truly expert eyes, it will appear that the OMAS Extra nib still has a slight margin, because the tip is very sharp, very pointed. But, in the practical test, I would say that the Calligraphy nib holds up against my best vintage calligraphy nib, to the point of being almost indistinguishable.
My work here is done...

In these two handwritten pages on a simple lined Moleskine notebook (of the sewed type, sold in sets of 3), I wanted to compare the flexible nib of the Montblanc 149 Calligaphy with the calligraphic nib of another of my fountain pens. To make the test more challenging, I did not choose any calligraphic nib, but my best example: an extra-fine 14K Omas Extra nib (much rarer than the fine size tip) with heart vent (the best), mounted on a Gentlemen pen that I bought new a few years ago. The whole was produced in 19657.

Beside, or below, each of the writings I have noted with which nib it was performed (even the name of the pen is written with its same nib).

The last notes, on three lines, are written quickly, to evaluate the effect of the nib when used in a "non-calligraphic" way.

fpn_1601498719__due_pagine_a_confronto.j

My work here is done...

FPUPULIN. Awesome comparison there, thanks for doing this. After writing pages and pages of fast script with my Calligraphy like my very best daily work horse writer, I can't believe I have a flex nib on tap that can hold it's own against my vintage flex Waterman 52V any time of the day and thrice on sundays. Edited by max dog

Franco...

So if I get the paper, the pen, and the MB Permanent Black Ink...

My "all caps print" will automatically turn into your cursive...am I correct? : )

Beautiful handwriting and photography. I wish I had time to practice and learn Spencerian.

Regards,

David

Franco...

So if I get the paper, the pen, and the MB Permanent Black Ink...

My "all caps print" will automatically turn into your cursive...am I correct? : )

Beautiful handwriting and photography. I wish I had time to practice and learn Spencerian.

Regards,

David

David: I am sure that pen, ink and paper are not enough, alone, to improve calligraphic skills. Nonetheless, my control of the Spencerian-type script has greatly improved thanks to the combination of the three elements that I use the most: 149 Calligraphy, Permanent Black, and Fabriano Ingres paper.

Among the many possible recipes of "perfect trios", this one works particularly well for me, and I recently find that the Permanent Blue has the same qualities (if not better) as an ink for this job. Just, for my tastes, black is more apt for calligraphic divertissements.

I understand that the price of 149 Calligraphy may be a serious deterrent for a try, but if you like pointed pen calligraphy, and at the same you want to have a very good extra-fine nib for daily use, the nib of this pen is worth any penny...

fpn_1602084111__alvin_6.jpg

Is the149C only going to be sold for a limited time or is it part of their product line going forward?

I told myself no more purchases until I receive the some 149's that I order last year.

I might tell them that I would like to change one of the pens to a 149C and pay the difference.

Is the149C only going to be sold for a limited time or is it part of their product line going forward?

I told myself no more purchases until I receive the some 149's that I order last year.

I might tell them that I would like to change one of the pens to a 149C and pay the difference.

David, this is an issue that has been debated on several occasions on this forum, but it does not seem to me that there has been a general consensus on respect.

Initially, Montblanc presented the Calligraphy as a Special Edition nib, part if I remember correctly of a "trio" of Expression Nibs, which should have been on sale for a specified period - from August 2019 to September 2020 - to be replaced by the second Special Edition, the 149 Curved Nib.

I seem to understand that Covid has partly changed its plans, and now we are already in early October and the 149 Curved Nib has not yet been officially presented, if not in some special VIP presentations.
Of course I noticed that finding a 149 Calligraphy on eBay and in the pages of electronic stores is much less frequent today than it was a few months ago, but I have no idea if this means that Montblanc has already stopped producing and distributing this model.

David: I am sure that pen, ink and paper are not enough, alone, to improve calligraphic skills. Nonetheless, my control of the Spencerian-type script has greatly improved thanks to the combination of the three elements that I use the most: 149 Calligraphy, Permanent Black, and Fabriano Ingres paper.

Among the many possible recipes of "perfect trios", this one works particularly well for me, and I recently find that the Permanent Blue has the same qualities (if not better) as an ink for this job. Just, for my tastes, black is more apt for calligraphic divertissements.

I understand that the price of 149 Calligraphy may be a serious deterrent for a try, but if you like pointed pen calligraphy, and at the same you want to have a very good extra-fine nib for daily use, the nib of this pen is worth any penny...

fpn_1602084111__alvin_6.jpg

Thank you for posting "behind the scenes" of your set up, guidelines, etc. I have one of these Alvin lettering guides that I need to learn how to use.

I find the Ames Lettering Guide a very useful instrument, which makes much easier and quick preparing the pencil guides for calligraphy. In my experience, the two rows with equidistant holes are the more useful, and those that I use the most.

It happens that the Ames Lettering Guide (this was its original name, from the town of Ames, in Iowa, where Oscar Anton Olson originally produced it) is a very cheap instrument, worth a few dollars...

Here is another divertissement made with my Calligraphy, with the guides traced with the help of the Lettering Guide:

fpn_1602337978__writing_with_my_montblan

The trio Calligraphy/Black Permanent Ink/Fabriano Ingres at work...

Couple of days ago, a pen pal in Italy asked to a MB Boutique employee, and textually wrote: "In the 2020/2021 catalog, the Calligraphy is still there (without particular images, the fireworks are for the benefit of the new "Fude de Mannen") and in the store they told me that it can be ordered but not having ordered it, I can't tell you if this whether possible or not."

So, apparently, the Calligraphy will continue to be in production for some time...

Since I bought my Calligraphy last March, the ink I have always used in this pen was black. I tried a few black inks, inlcuding Edelstein Onyx, Herbin Perle Noire, Aurora Black, and Montblanc Mystery Black, but after trying the MB Black Permanent I have never looked back.

A few days ago, after flushing my pen, I decided to give a try to the Blue Permanent, which I have tested before just dipping the nib. How glad I am that I did!

fpn_1602975751__montblanc_meisterstck_14

The ink is as good as the Black Permanent if not better, as it drys so much faster, and like the Black there is not show-throw with any kind of paper.

Here is on Fabriano Ingres laid paper, 90 gr.

Beautiful calligraphy, as always. Thank you for posting. Nice Aqua Terra too! I have a couple of Omegas myself.

I tried Permanent Blue once, in a no-longer-owned Geometric Doué. It stained the ink window and the nib, and caused the pen to write horribly dry, with skipping and hard starts and the like.

I must be missing something with Montblanc's Permanent inks: so many here on the forum seem to be enjoying them extensively. Maybe I should give Permanent Blue a try once more, a new bottle with the new formula (I believe).

Edited by lemonde

Dear lemonde, I have no experience on the behavior of the ink with the pen on the medium and long term (if it would eventually stain the window or not), but with the paper it interacts beautifully.

So, please do not take this as a suggestion to fill your best pen with the Blue Permanent, which several users catalogue as a "risky" ink. Nevertheless, for a short writing session, and before flushing thoroughly your pen, it surely deserve a new try!

By the way, and out of curiosity, which models of Omega do you have?

Edited by fpupulin

Dear lemonde, I have no experience on the behavior of the ink with the pen on the medium and long term (if it would eventually stain the window or not), but with the paper it interacts beautifully.

So, please do not take this as a suggestion to fill your best pen with the Blue Permanent, which several users catalogue as a "risky" ink. Nevertheless, for a short writing session, and before flushing thoroughly your pen, it surely deserve a new try!

By the way, and out of curiosity, which models of Omega do you have?

Good advice, I just got my pens to where I want them ink flow- and smoothness-wise, so maybe I'll skip the Permanent Blue experiment for now. Thank you!

As far as Omegas go, here is my Planet Ocean next to an Ultra Black Legrand:

http://www.arcmailbox.com/img/pens/planet-ocean.jpg

and my Globemaster Annual Calendar next to the Geometry:

http://www.arcmailbox.com/img/pens/globemaster.jpg

I wonder: can a broad nib pen, or BB, work well for beginner calligraphy, or does or need to be a calligraphy-specific pen?

Edited by lemonde