The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Recommendation For Lay Flat Grid Paper Notebook With Minimal Ghosting

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Arts11

Arts11

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 19:04

It's been awhile since I've done much journaling or used my fountain pens. Unfortunately work is mostly all digital and the few times I have to use pen/paper don't really allow for fountain pen ink. As a result I've kind of switched to "premium" ballpoint pens like Acroball.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back to a more tactile writing experience, but don't know what's out there anymore. I've used Moleskine and Leuchtturm in the past, but I remember they both had a lot of bleedthrough and they didn't lay flat very well. I'm looking for a notebook with grid paper where the pages will lay flat and will have minimal ghosting. I'm also probably looking for something close to A5-B5 size with over 100 pages. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arts11, 06 June 2020 - 21:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 Paganini

Paganini

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 20:03

I like Apica notebooks. The non-premium ones work just fine. They're about $5 each at JetPens, and you can get a nifty faux-leather cover that holds two of them for $20 - $30 ish.

- N 

#3 Arts11

Arts11

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 22:01

I like Apica notebooks. The non-premium ones work just fine. They're about $5 each at JetPens, and you can get a nifty faux-leather cover that holds two of them for $20 - $30 ish.

- N 

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking more for something more consolidated (i.e., more pages in one binding) so I don't have a bunch of individual volumes to keep track of.

#4 Paganini

Paganini

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:01

Just to point out, the Apica notebooks have 192 pages (96 sheets, compared to 120 sheets for a Moleskine). 

Anything much thicker than that is not going to lay flat very well, unless you go wire-bound; although, even the nicer wire-bound notebooks like Fabriano and Rollbahn are usually 70 or 96 sheets. 

Rhodia makes a Moleskine competitor, if you don't mind the dot grid; it weighs in at 80 sheets. (They're also Too Expensive For Me! :) 

But, one thing does spring to mind that fits your criteria; that is the Nanami 7 Seas Crossfield journal. It's made of Tomoe River paper. They seem to be a quasi-seasonal product, so you can't always get them, but they have looots of pages and lay nice and flat.  

- N

#5 Arts11

Arts11

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:34

Just to point out, the Apica notebooks have 192 pages (96 sheets, compared to 120 sheets for a Moleskine). 

Anything much thicker than that is not going to lay flat very well, unless you go wire-bound; although, even the nicer wire-bound notebooks like Fabriano and Rollbahn are usually 70 or 96 sheets. 

Rhodia makes a Moleskine competitor, if you don't mind the dot grid; it weighs in at 80 sheets. (They're also Too Expensive For Me! :) 

But, one thing does spring to mind that fits your criteria; that is the Nanami 7 Seas Crossfield journal. It's made of Tomoe River paper. They seem to be a quasi-seasonal product, so you can't always get them, but they have looots of pages and lay nice and flat.  

- N

Weird. I must not have clicked the right one then. The ones I was seeing only had like 50-60 pages. Thanks for the other suggestions. Ill look into them too.

#6 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:52

I'm looking for a notebook with grid paper where the pages will lay flat and will have minimal ghosting. I'm also probably looking for something close to A5-B5 size with over 100 pages.

Maruman spiral wire-bound notebooks do come in 80-sheet (i.e. 160-page) versions in A5, B5 and A4 sizes with 5mm line grids, and it's paper is generally regarded as fountain pen friendly, in spite of being only 68g/m² in weight. The amount of ghosting (as opposed to feathering and bleed-through) observable will depend on how broad the line and how wet the nib is, of course.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#7 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 17:04

Ghosting is certainly very dependent on paper/pen/ink combinations, but one thing I have learned on FPN is that the it's even more dependent on the person judging what is acceptable ghosting. :-)

I love 68gsm Tomoe River paper.  I consider it's ghosting to be minor enough that I don't care.  On the other hand, 52gsm Tomoe River has ghosting that bothers me.  And yet...I'm happy with the Nanami Writer notebook that I'm currently using because it does enough other things well that I tolerate the ghosting.  And if I'm being pedantic with the words, the fact that I'm still using the notebook seems proof that I consider it "acceptable".

You might also consider Midori MD notebooks.  I think there are gridded versions in both A5 and A4, and the paper well respected.

But personally I consider 68gsm Tomoe River to be the best paper for me (all other things being equal, which they never are).

#8 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 17:20

Goulet used to sell a notebook sample pack for a bit under $20.00, but I can't find it any more.  That was a great value because I was able to experience several different papers quickly and at a reasonable price.  I'm not sure if anybody still does something like that.  

Depending on where you are in The South :-) you might find a Kinokuniya or other B&M shop with a variety that you could examine in person.

#9 brokenclay

brokenclay

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 00:05

Fountain Pen Love sells a couple of different paper samplers: https://fountainpenl...er-sample-pack/

#10 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 15:51

Fountain Pen Love sells a couple of different paper samplers: https://fountainpenl...er-sample-pack/

Wow that looks like an awesome paper sample. Certainly more variety than the one that I had, and I think a lower price, too.

#11 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 18:16

I almost always suggest Tomoe River paper of some sort.  

But, recently I acquired an A5 notebook that has surprised me (and that is saying a lot!).  I purchased the Itoya Profolio Oasis Notebook from Goldspot Pens (no, this isn't an advertisement; it is just where I bought the notebook).  https://goldspot.com...-inches-avocado

The notebook is a grid pattern, but the vertical lines are light "dots" than the heavier horizontal line.  In between the horizontal lines are 2 lines of horizontal dots that are also light but visible.  The inside cover illustrates the features of the notebook.  

I was surprised by the fact that the notebook lays flat, the paper is nicely smooth but with no coating, and even my darkest inks do not "ghost" through the next page.  Also, most of my inks do fairly well with minimal feathering and no bleedthrough, even with using wide stub nibs.  

I will be reviewing this notebook and a few others as part of my usual notebook comparison thread soon.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#12 Arts11

Arts11

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:58

I almost always suggest Tomoe River paper of some sort.  

But, recently I acquired an A5 notebook that has surprised me (and that is saying a lot!).  I purchased the Itoya Profolio Oasis Notebook from Goldspot Pens (no, this isn't an advertisement; it is just where I bought the notebook).  https://goldspot.com...-inches-avocado

The notebook is a grid pattern, but the vertical lines are light "dots" than the heavier horizontal line.  In between the horizontal lines are 2 lines of horizontal dots that are also light but visible.  The inside cover illustrates the features of the notebook.  

I was surprised by the fact that the notebook lays flat, the paper is nicely smooth but with no coating, and even my darkest inks do not "ghost" through the next page.  Also, most of my inks do fairly well with minimal feathering and no bleedthrough, even with using wide stub nibs.  

I will be reviewing this notebook and a few others as part of my usual notebook comparison thread soon.  

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. That may be what I need. How’s the quality of the construction? Does it feel like it’s bound pretty well. Is the cover thick? I’ll probably be traveling with the notebook to the coffee shop or library so there’ll be a lot of pulling it in and out of my bag so I want to make sure it can weather the daily grind.

#13 Arts11

Arts11

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:03

Ghosting is certainly very dependent on paper/pen/ink combinations, but one thing I have learned on FPN is that the it's even more dependent on the person judging what is acceptable ghosting. :-)

I love 68gsm Tomoe River paper.  I consider it's ghosting to be minor enough that I don't care.  On the other hand, 52gsm Tomoe River has ghosting that bothers me.  And yet...I'm happy with the Nanami Writer notebook that I'm currently using because it does enough other things well that I tolerate the ghosting.  And if I'm being pedantic with the words, the fact that I'm still using the notebook seems proof that I consider it "acceptable".

You might also consider Midori MD notebooks.  I think there are gridded versions in both A5 and A4, and the paper well respected.

But personally I consider 68gsm Tomoe River to be the best paper for me (all other things being equal, which they never are).

the Tomoe River notebooks I’m seeing in my search are probably a little too rich for my taste, at least to start off (I’m seeing prices in the $40-50). 

not sure I’m seeing the right Midori MD notebooks when I do my search. It looks like they’re the type that goes into one of those separate leather covers? How durable is the Midori booklet without a cover?

#14 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:22

not sure I’m seeing the right Midori MD notebooks when I do my search.

https://www.midori-japan.co.jp/md/en/

It looks like they’re the type that goes into one of those separate leather covers?

Think of the Midori MD notebooks as refills of sorts; it's all about the paper, and not the complete package. You can stick them in any style of cover you want (or already have, or are prepared to spend money to acquire to suit your operational requirements). Sure, you can use them without a cover to write; just as you'd actually have a bona fide fountain pen (complete with ink reservoir) if you plug a Pilot CON-20/40/50 converter into a Pilot Capless nib but write with it without inserting the assembly into a Pilot Capless pen (barrel).

How durable is the Midori booklet without a cover?

I don't know, and I'm not inclined to try. I put mine in a Oberon Design leather cover, but Midori MD sells — or at least used to sell — a relatively cheap clear plastic cover for its notebooks. (I just had a look at its web site, and it seems the company has now moved on to only 'new' leather covers and have quite possibly discontinued the clear plastic ones.) I bought have a couple of those but never used them.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#15 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:23

not sure I’m seeing the right Midori MD notebooks when I do my search. It looks like they’re the type that goes into one of those separate leather covers? How durable is the Midori booklet without a cover?

Like this one:  https://www.penaddic...ridded-a-review.

The Midori cover is unusual.  If you're thinking about the "refill thingies" that are usually 70-ish pages assembled into a single signature, then not Midori is different.  Sorry for not using the proper term, but I'm not a fan of the refill thingies.

A Midori notebook has a squared spine and stitched signatures as you'd normally expect.  But the spine & stitching are protected just by cloth.  The covers are just card stock (not "board" stock), but heavier than I have experienced on the refill thingies.  When I bought one I also picked up their cheap clear plastic cover (based on price and availability).  That cover did the job well enough, but frankly the next time I pick up a Midori I will probably keep it naked:  the cardstock is durable enough and a little wabi sabi would have been fine.  And the clear plastic cover, although quite durable, isn't really the aesthetic that I would want.  If I ran across one of their heavy paper covers I would probably try it out just for the experience, but as I said, I don't think it's necessary.

ETA:  https://www.midori-j...roducts/mdnote/ has nice pictures that might give you an idea of the binding, too.

Edited by XYZZY, 09 June 2020 - 03:41.

#16 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:39

I can't believe I forgot this:  the Taroko Enigma is an excellent notebook with 68gsm Tomoe River paper.  Except that it's a dot-grid instead of grid as you specified, but if you're open to dot grid I would go with that.  I ordered two, loved them.  I'm using other things because (a) I wanted to broaden my horizons, and (B) I decided I wanted more than 5mm spacing.  Otherwise it's got the very best paper with many pages in A5.

Their Etsy shop is at https://www.etsy.com/shop/TarokoShop but they seem to be down right now.  The Etsy shop says they're only shipping to a handful of countries and to use the new shopify website if that's ok, but the new shopify website looks like it's still under construction.  So it sounds like they're in transition.

#17 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:06

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. That may be what I need. How’s the quality of the construction? Does it feel like it’s bound pretty well. Is the cover thick? I’ll probably be traveling with the notebook to the coffee shop or library so there’ll be a lot of pulling it in and out of my bag so I want to make sure it can weather the daily grind.

the Itoya Profolio Oasis notebook is thread bound and taped on the spine.  It is a soft bound notebook and the cover is just a heavy weight paper.  I carry it in my zippered cover that I got several years ago from Franklin Christoph.  While this notebook will not replace the Seven Seas notebooks that I use, it is a nice alternative.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#18 Paganini

Paganini

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 13:44

One thing you should probably know, if you're considering the Midori notebooks, is that their grid isn't a true graph grid. It has base-lines with evenly spaced tics, but the tics don't "close" the squares. If you used an MS PAINT fill tool on a Midori page, the whole page would change color. :) My understanding is that this is a type of grid designed for practicing Chinese / Japanese characters, rather than plotting / graphing.

- N

#19 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 16:06

One thing you should probably know, if you're considering the Midori notebooks, is that their grid isn't a true graph grid. It has base-lines with evenly spaced tics, but the tics don't "close" the squares.

Yes, quite clearly described in words as well as shown photographically here:

ETA:  https://www.midori-j...roducts/mdnote/ has nice pictures that might give you an idea of the binding, too.

Sponsored Content

|