The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Best Fp For Travel

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Solitaire100

Solitaire100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 19:01

I'm looking for a good quality FP that will be convenient for travel (mostly by air).  Any thoughts?

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 19:25

Pilot 823. A wonderful pen for writers and the ink shut-of valve assures no problems with air travel.  The Wing Sung 699 is a budget copy of the 823 minus the gold nib and some build quality.

“The proper definition of a man is an animal that writes letters.”

Lewis Carroll

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:01

Changes in air cabin pressure is why Parker 51s were designed with hooded nibs.

That being said, I've taken a variety of pens with me on flights to the West Coast, and didn't have problems with any of them on modern planes with pressurized cabins (trying to remember what all I had on the first trip flying into Sea-Tac, but I had the Plum Demi 51 Aero and one of the Noodler's Konrads for sure. 

The big thing is to either fill them completely beforehand or carry them empty, and with nibs up so there's less of a problem with ink burping into the cap.  

I didn't have any problem with sample vials (as long as they were in a plastic bag to make the TSA happy (I had more problems flying back from Spokane with my facial cleanser and such in a carry-on bag because they were larger than the 4 oz. limit -- that stuff got confiscated but nobody bat an eye over the sample vials...).  

And the other problem I had was that I almost lost my Safari -- it had been clipped to my neckline because I'd been using it, and had to take it off to go through the Xray machine.  And then someone put a bin on top of the bin they made me put the pen in....  :o 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,764 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:14

I like traveling with a Lamy 2k including flying.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#5 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:21

I like traveling with a Lamy 2k including flying.

Second this. Requires no special treatment, just works!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#6 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:44

Kaweco Allsport.

#7 brokenclay

brokenclay

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 23:46

I've never had trouble flying with any of my pens (Pilot Metro, Kaweco Sport, Waterman Phileas, Pelikan 400NN), and I've never taken any particular care (filled all the way, half way, practically empty, cartridges, lying sideways). That probably just means that my time hasn't come yet, and at some point I'll look in my bag and it will be full of ink.

#8 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

there is no spoon.

• Member - Gold

• 3,053 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 00:00

Any pen you like. Full and nib up.

http://www.fountainp...ng#entry4248110

http://www.fountainp...ng#entry4248917

https://www.penchale...untain_pen.html

https://blog.gouletp...-fountain-pens/

https://www.nibs.com...veling-airplane

https://ukfountainpe...ling-with-pens/

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#9 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• 857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 00:11

Any pen you like. Full and nib up.

I wouldn't say "any". The only time I have had issues with a pen on a plane was a Pilot Metrolitan, with a converter. Full, nib up in the seat pocket. Took the lid off mid-flight to fill out my arrival card and had a cap full of ink hit the tray table. Not fun.

There is no way I'd ever trust one of those squeeze converters again; the pressure change is obviously enough to transfer the ink out of the converter. 

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#10 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,119 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:52

Lamy Safari or Lamy 2000.

#11 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:06

If there’s no expanding air to push out your ink, you’re good. That means any pen, either full or empty (but not in between), nib-up, no sacs (including squeeze converters). Physics aside, there are zillions of cases of ‘anecdotal evidence’, i.e. for every example of a succesful flight with pen X, there’ll be an example of a disaster with pen X. So to be extra extra extra safe, you might consider a pen with a shut-off valve (Opus 88 is a good, fun and affordable example, the Pilot C823 is a more expensive example).

#12 mana

mana

The guy with the inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 1,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:23

Pens with sacs or squeeze converters are not a problem if they allow the air pressure inside the barrel to equalize with the in-flight cabin pressure by other ways than through the filling system. Thus, a Parker "51" Aerometric that has that hole at the back of the barrel is safe to use during flight.

Barrels that do not have a means of equalizing the pressure outside of the filling system retain the atmospheric pressure that they had at ground level. As the cabin air pressure in flight is lower the air inside the barrel expands and that leads to ink being forced out as the sac is compressed.

Partially filled piston fillers are fine if you keep them nib up (gravity keeps the ink at the bottom so there is no expanding air to force ink out). Pens with piston converters are handy in this aspect as you can push excess air out beforehand manually.

#13 LyaT

LyaT

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:13

I always take my Pelikan M205 for air travel. It is light and holds enough ink for a two day trip. If I am away for a week, Id take the M805 along.

#14 tim77

tim77

Extra medium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:49

I'm looking for a good quality FP that will be convenient for travel (mostly by air).  Any thoughts?

The TWSBI Vac Mini is ideal for travel, and there's a matching Vac20 inkwell which screws tight to the pen making ink spills all but impossible.  If TWSBI ever overcome their problems with cracking plastic, they'll take over the world.  Note that the Vac20 inkwell doesn't fit to other TWSBI pens, which I think is a missed opportunity.

A steel Kaweco Lilliput is my favourite spare pen when travelling.  It's extremely compact and robust, and resists scratching very well.  The cap threads are less fiddly than other metal pens.  Requires cartridges which can leak during air travel, but a 30ml Nalgene bottle is leak-tight and will comfortably hold a dozen cartridges.  If I was buying now I'd get a steel Kaweco Supra instead, which looks more comfortable to use.

On my next trip I plan to test a WingSung 601.  Unlike the two mentioned above it's a full-size pen and has a push-on cap, making it better for note-taking.  After using a 601 at work for a few months, I'm optimistic that it will survive travel well.

TW46303~TWSBI-VAC-20A-Ink-Bottle_DTL1_P3

#15 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

there is no spoon.

• Member - Gold

• 3,053 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:57

I always take my Pelikan M205 for air travel. It is light and holds enough ink for a two day trip. If I am away for a week, Id take the M805 along.

M200 capacity 1.2ml

M800 capacity 1.35ml

Jusy sayin'

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#16 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 16:18

M200 capacity 1.2ml
M800 capacity 1.35ml
Jusy sayin'

Basically if the m200 has a finer nib it will last longer than the m800.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#17 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 17:41

My LAMY Al Star with a conveyer I suspect

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#18 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 18:15

fpn_1591726507__img_5898.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#19 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,504 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 18:46

Conid Bulkfiller. Hands down.

Epic ink capacity, exquisitely machined, with a shut-off valve and a curved rod to avoid most vacuum-fillers' wandering air bubbles. That there is a side-industry of housings for nibs from Sailor to vintage is just icing on the cake. I have 6.

Shame you can't get hold of them at the minute, but if you travel a lot, I'd definitely have one on your to-buy list.

Too many pens; too little writing.

#20 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 18:51

I have successfully used the following pens for air travel:

Pelikan M205

Lamy 2000

Pilot CH91

Only once did I use a Parker 51 but the pen burped some ink into the cap...  :huh:

Sponsored Content

|