Where To Get 14K No.6 Schmidt Nib?

gerigo

I can usually find things fairly proficiently on the interwebs. However this one has really eluded me. I have a pen that uses no.6 Schmidt nis, like the ones on older Retro 51 fountain pens. I'd love to upgrade the pen and I know there are 14k versions of this nib out there. But my Googling skills is not up to par. Any leads?

No the housing is sized in a very strange way. JOWO and Bock nibs don't fit if I were to pull the old nib out and try to fit these very accessible nibs in.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• gerigo

• Parker51

• rosa_m

Top Posters In This Topic

finding spare shmidt nibs in general is a nightmare. I'd probably just buy a kaco master 14k and use its nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You didn't say what pen you are trying to replace the nib unit for. Are you absolutely certain it is a #6 Schmidt nib? Anderson Pens has a 14kt. gold nib for the #5 Schmidt nib. It is sold for the Edison pens which use the #5 Schmidt nibs. It appears to not have any brand idenifiers on it. Perhaps you could contact them and ask and let them know what pen you have.

It may be a slight stretch of an analogy, but I chose a wiper blade based on the length of the old one. When I went to pay for it the clerk asked me what vehicle it was for. I told her and she looked it up. It turned out I had picked up the correct length, but wrong model as the manufacturer had two different blades each the same length, but otherwise different based on what the blade attatched to, which varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Edited by Parker51

Yes I do know there are quite a few more no. 5 Schmidt nibs out there than the no. 6 which is used much less frequently. I am quite sure it's a no.6 nib as it is the same size as the older Retro 51 nibs.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

You didn't say what pen you are trying to replace the nib unit for. Are you absolutely certain it is a #6 Schmidt nib? Anderson Pens has a 14kt. gold nib for the #5 Schmidt nib. It is sold for the Edison pens which use the #5 Schmidt nibs. It appears to not have any brand idenifiers on it. Perhaps you could contact them and ask and let them know what pen you have.

It may be a slight stretch of an analogy, but I chose a wiper blade based on the length of the old one. When I went to pay for it the clerk asked me what vehicle it was for. I told her and she looked it up. It turned out I had picked up the correct length, but wrong model as the manufacturer had two different blades each the same length, but otherwise different based on what the blade attatched to, which varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Fh452 is the Model no of the no 6 Schmidt nibs. Modern Onoto used the gold version of this nib. I am not sure what nib unit the current onoto uses. You can always request a pic. The Schmidt nib unit is peculiar with a brass collar.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Did Conway-Stewart do so as well? I may have a lead on a Nelson model that has a damaged barrel (end broken off, missing blind cap) that has a very nice nib. I bought it as used but undamaged and returned it to the seller given the inability to get a replacement barrel and blind cap. They likely would be happy to find someone to buy the pen. The nib is marked as Conway-Stewart and writes very well. I was sorry to return the pen, but the cap also had a small piece of plastic missing, so the only salvageable parts werethe nib unit and attatched convertor.

I ask as when I had it I compared the pen and its nib to the pens I have and it appeared to be a Schmidt nib as the back of the housing seemed to have the same markings and design as the pens I have with with Shmidt nibs, specifically a Think Pen.

Edited by Parker51

• 2 months later...

Nope. These are VERY hard to come by at a decent price without crazy markups.

Edited by gerigo

Gold prices are currently at or near an all time high .

You can try ystudio in Taiwan .

They recently quoted me the best prices on #5 Schmidt steel nibs .

I asked in general about #6 gold and they replied they're expensive .

service@ystudiostyle.com