Efnir: Pilot Blue/black

LizEF

I have never understood why anybody would be offended by being "weird". Everybody is abnormal in one way or another. To fit all the norms in everything...shudder. It's weird, but it's a feature and not a bug.

As for math vs imagination: there are many different types of smarts. It's amazing how we can all be smart at one thing and bozos at others, but that usually keeps life interesting and fun.

:) I'm not offended by being thought of as "weird". What's more, most adults I know seem to appreciate my eccentricities, so I was mostly joking. Unfortunately, I grew up in an age when introversion was considered an attitude problem and the behaviors it induced were considered "bad" or "antisocial" or "unfriendly", etc. and that has had a significant negative impact on my existence as it took me a long time to figure out there was nothing wrong with me.

And yes, I whole-heartedly agree with your appreciation of the diversity of our smarts and interests and talents and skills and whatevers - life would be awful if we were all the same! (PS: Math and imagination also go well together - I was excellent in math, but it just seemed like a game / puzzle to me - it never occurred to me it might have a professional use, so my last math class was in high school. :lol: )

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• XYZZY

• inkstainedruth

• Olya

:) I'm not offended by being thought of as "weird". What's more, most adults I know seem to appreciate my eccentricities, so I was mostly joking. Unfortunately, I grew up in an age when introversion was considered an attitude problem and the behaviors it induced were considered "bad" or "antisocial" or "unfriendly", etc. and that has had a significant negative impact on my existence as it took me a long time to figure out there was nothing wrong with me.

I resemble that remark. :)

The ink of the cartridge should be the same as in the bottles (30ml, 70ml and 350ml).

To me, the ink shown in the review looks just like the one I have in a 70ml bottle.

edit: @mhguda: Maybe you have a vintage bottle? This ink was an iron gall ink until around 1994, and was considerably darker.

Crónicas Estilográficas has a blog post about historical Pilot Blue-Black. It has a long history as an iron-gall ink. He has a picture with writing samples of the ink from 1955, '65, '75, and '85.

https://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2016/05/vintage-inks.html

[This took way more time for me to hunt down than I would like to admit: I read that blog post within the past week, and found it via a link in a recent FPN point that I can't locate. Of course, searching FPN for "pilot blue-black" has more noise than signal. It didn't help that I was searching history in Chrome only to realize that I first read it in iPad/Safari. Sigh]

Edited by XYZZY

How many responses do you typically get to your "Take the 'next ink' poll"? I try to do it most weeks, and I'm guessing that there is very little consistency in my weekly responses. If I'm the only one replying then you are probably thoroughly confused. :P

I resemble that remark. :)

:) I think a lot of us do. Fortunately, the tide is turning there and we have a much greater understanding of introversion and extroversion now.

How many responses do you typically get to your "Take the 'next ink' poll"? I try to do it most weeks, and I'm guessing that there is very little consistency in my weekly responses. If I'm the only one replying then you are probably thoroughly confused. :P

I'm not sure there's a need to take it weekly, though I've wondered if folks are re-voting, to keep their favorites up there. Given that this is a "what next" poll that will last at least a year and a half until all the inks are done, it's more like sorting the list than picking things from the list. Anywho, since there's no sort of login required, I can't track who votes how often or whether their votes change each time. I just go look when I need to pick my next ink. Right now, there are 87 votes. At the start of this week, there were 83, but the top of the list hasn't changed in that time - sometimes it does, and I've wondered if someone votes several times in a row to push their ink to the top. Maybe I'll look through the individual responses to see if that's happened - later. I have to go outside and do some yard work now before it gets too hot! :)

Crónicas Estilográficas has a blog post about historical Pilot Blue-Black. It has a long history as an iron-gall ink. Hi has a picture with writing samples of the ink from 1955, '65, '75, and '85.

[This took way more time for me to hunt down than I would like to admit: I read that blog post within the past week, and found it via a link in a recent FPN point that I can't locate. Of course, searching FPN for "pilot blue-black" has more noise than signal. It didn't help that I was searching history in Chrome only to realize that I first read it in iPad/Safari. Sigh]

Thank you for this link, I posted this last week in another thread here on FPN. Maybe you read it there :)

... Maybe I'll look through the individual responses to see if that's happened - later. I have to go outside and do some yard work now before it gets too hot! :)

Is it just me, or is playing with ink lots more fun than yard work?

Meanwhile, I discovered I can download a CSV (rather poorly designed, but whatever). It reveals that no two votes have been identical, so I guess no one is intentionally doing that to stack the deck, and anyone who has voted more than once has tweaked their vote(s) in between.

And while I was doing yard work, someone was voting - essentially for blue/blacks or greyish colors - I would assume they're fans like me, but then I have so many that it's probably hard to find other colors to vote for! :lticaptd:

Crónicas Estilográficas has a blog post about historical Pilot Blue-Black. It has a long history as an iron-gall ink. He has a picture with writing samples of the ink from 1955, '65, '75, and '85.

Wow! The modern formula is drastically different from the old - so lacking in black (based on those photos). Thanks for the link!

And yes, I whole-heartedly agree with your appreciation of the diversity of our smarts and interests and talents and skills and whatevers - life would be awful if we were all the same! (PS: Math and imagination also go well together - I was excellent in math, but it just seemed like a game / puzzle to me - it never occurred to me it might have a professional use, so my last math class was in high school. :lol: )

My husband has a degree in applied mathematics, but he also took a lot of psychology classes (not sure if he actually had enough credits for a minor, but I know he considered it). He told me a story about one psych class he was in where there was a quiz involving considering what was a Rubik's cube or Soma cube, but where only the center spots on each block were a different color. You weren't allowed to ask questions in class, only raise your hand to have the professor take you in the hallway so nobody else could hear the conversation. He was absolutely convinced he had done something wrong because he finished it so quickly, and saw all the psych majors struggling and earnestly working. He did what I would have done -- imagined the cube, and counted the spots while mentally turning it over. The only other person who got the quiz right was a music major, who did the same thing as him. They told the psych majors "Well, we just turned it over in our hands...." Which completely freaked out everyone else in the class: "There isn't a cube! How could you have turned it around when it doesn't exist?"

I also went to a class at something a number of years ago where the guy talked about the different types of learning and how you have to factor in, if you're teaching something, whether a particular student learns better with hands-on, or seeing a demo, or reading the book. He talked some about Briggs-Meyers tests, and also about the seven "types" of intelligence (linguistic, logic/math, spatial, musical. bodily/kinesthetic, interpersonal, and Interpersonal). The class was geared towards people who were not specifically teachers in the traditional sense, but more towards people teaching stuff for the various activities for the organization we all belonged to. For instance, I've taught some needlework and fiber arts classes over the years, and try to have the classes small enough that I can go around and show each person individually how to do something like make the knots for mesh (it's the same technique as for making hammocks and fishing nets, but on a small scale to do embroidery over). When I first learned how to do it I didn't get it at ALL. (A friend had found some Victorian netting shuttles in an antiques mall, and had a workshop at someone's house teaching other people). Another person picked it up immediately, but I was lost. Following month? I still didn't get it. Third month meeting, I was still completely lost. Went home and found directions in a book I had, which had illustrations showing what the steps were and what you did with your hands at each point in the process and MADE myself learn it the next morning. And yes, now I can teach it to other people, and have -- and I TELL people the struggles I had getting the process set in my head and hands. Now I just need to figure out how to do it circularly, instead of working flat mesh out from a corner. I took a class that someone taught a couple of years ago, and bought her video, but it's a matter of setting up a frame and doing it enough to get the muscle memory set in my head.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Interestingly enough, my husband is really good at explaining technical/computer stuff, especially to me. He had a job a few years ago at a start up, which was trying to calculate more effective radiation treatments for cancer; he had to go to a bunch of conferences, and his main job at them was to be the "booth babe": explaining what they were working on to doctors and other scientists. A lot of times on car rides he will start talking about what he's doing at work, or videos/blogs he's seen, and can explain stuff to me without making it sound "dumbed down" to the non-tech person in the car...

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

...I also went to a class at something a number of years ago where the guy talked about the different types of learning ..

:thumbup: I was lucky to be exposed to this concept in high school - because I had a friend who couldn't learn from our trig (I think) teacher, so when the teacher was done explaining things, I'd turn around and re-explain it to my friend in a way she understood. Fortunately, the teacher didn't mind.

I love how much we have learned and are continuing to learn about how the brain works. We still have a long way to go to figure out how to support such diversity rather than doggedly sticking to one rigid method for all, but things are a lot better now than even 30 years ago.

Meanwhile, I discovered I can download a CSV (rather poorly designed, but whatever). It reveals that no two votes have been identical, so I guess no one is intentionally doing that to stack the deck, and anyone who has voted more than once has tweaked their vote(s) in between.

No apologies for not voting the same way twice. My desire for a particular ink is like a pop-tart: ephemeral.

No apologies for not voting the same way twice. My desire for a particular ink is like a pop-tart: ephemeral.

:lticaptd: Great! Now I want a PopTart! :mellow:

The video is fantastic. I really get a decent appreciation of the ink in your speeded-up video. You have set the bar very high.

Live life, not long life

The video is fantastic. I really get a decent appreciation of the ink in your speeded-up video. You have set the bar very high.

:D Thank you, scunepo! That's very kind of you.

:thumbup: a good blue/black standard. nice blue tone, not too saturated. my go-to blue/black ink from the few choices i have in my collection.

-rudy-

• 1 year later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm.

large.PilotBlueBlackLW.jpg.8d5cb8b2858167322e932fa935de7de3.jpg