The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Funny Coincidence... Vintage Pelikans And Vintage Music :)

pelikan brahms

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mana

mana

The guy with the inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 16:04

So, this is a bit geeky but I was (well, still am) listening to a recording of Brahms Symphonies conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler... what can I say, it is a really awesome performance and has superb sound quality for a recording made in... 1952. :D

Then I got to thinking that wait a moment, the pens that are currently on my desk are all from that same era, some maybe even same year! :D

...and then you give a moment to think how well they still perform especially compared to modern pens and it really kind of blows you away. Pretty amazing actually.

fpn_1591027349__pelikans_and_brahms.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 16:28

Indeed, we're fortunate to have both vintage pens and recordings.

#3 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 962 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 20:41

Nice idea. And like with fountain pens, some of the most amazing classics recordings were made in the 1950s. If you are interested, look up Mercury Living Presence. Philips bought them and remastered the tapes as CDs. RCA and EMI made similar audiophile recordings during that era but in my opinion less stunning. By the way, there is a Mercury recording of all four Brahms symphonies with Antal Dorati (1957-1963).

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 22:30

You've been Furtwangled.
His Ring recording is also remarkably clear.

#5 artart

artart

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:50

1952, the year of the night of the murdered poets

#6 mana

mana

• Member - Gold

• 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:24

Thank you for reminding, I will light a candle for them on the next anniversary. Victims of totalitarian regimes should not be forgotten.

#7 mana

mana

• Member - Gold

• 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:27

Thanks you OMASsimo and Uncial for your suggestions and tips. :) Enjoying and learning of classical music through best recorded performances (and the hunt for them) is another interesting and gratifying rabbit hole to delve into.

#8 shostakovich

shostakovich

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:24

Dylan Thomas?

#9 mana

mana

• Member - Gold

• 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:40

Dylan Thomas?

Nope, for a summary, see https://en.wikipedia..._Murdered_Poets

#10 shostakovich

shostakovich

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:56

Nope, for a summary, see https://en.wikipedia..._Murdered_Poets

Thanks, not sure I knew about that. But some say that Dylan Thomas (who I think died in 1952) - died due to medical negligence. But whatever, we lost one of our greatest poets only in his fifties if I remember correctly.

Correction - he was only 39 and it was 1953. How bad can my memory be!

#11 mana

mana

• Member - Gold

• 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:16

Thanks, not sure I knew about that. But some say that Dylan Thomas (who I think died in 1952) - died due to medical negligence. But whatever, we lost one of our greatest poets only in his fifties if I remember correctly.

Correction - he was only 39 and it was 1953. How bad can my memory be!

Yup... his loss was tragic.

#12 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:59

<...some say that Dylan Thomas (who I think died in 1952) - died due to medical negligence...>  Oh, and <I> thought he drank himself to death!

Although I might almost agree with you regarding his poetic greatness, he was not himself a champion of his own Welsh kinsmen, now, was he?  What was the name of the village setting in "Under Milkwood"?  Llareggub?  Hmmm...

:rolleyes: 

Anyway: excuse the minor hi-jack, Jack (there must be <a> Jack, reading this, somewhere?)

PS: Jeremias: you <geek>, you!  Actually -- good point (this thread) and yes, there were some wonderful recordings made back in them-thar days.  I myself treasure my recordings of the Vaughan WIlliams symphonies by Boult and the Beethoven sonatas by Wilhelm Kempff...

Edited by Christopher Godfrey, 22 September 2020 - 15:06.

#13 shostakovich

shostakovich

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:49

<...some say that Dylan Thomas (who I think died in 1952) - died due to medical negligence...>  Oh, and <I> thought he drank himself to death!

Although I might almost agree with you regarding his poetic greatness, he was not himself a champion of his own Welsh kinsmen, now, was he?  What was the name of the village setting in "Under Milkwood"?  Llareggub?  Hmmm...

:rolleyes: 

Anyway: excuse the minor hi-jack, Jack (there must be <a> Jack, reading this, somewhere?)

PS: Jeremias: you <geek>, you!  Actually -- good point (this thread) and yes, there were some wonderful recordings made back in them-thar days.  I myself treasure my recordings of the Vaughan WIlliams symphonies by Boult and the Beethoven sonatas by Wilhelm Kempff...

Under Milk Wood - a masterpiece!

I'm not a great fan of Vaughan Williams - but a great fan of Boult who I worked with a lot.

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:39

This is kinda like the thread someone started a few years ago, looking for pens that were introduced the year people were born (I think that OP was looking for ideas for Christmas presents).

@ mana -- those pens are drop dead gorgeous!  

@ artart -- I had not ever heard the story about the "Night of the murdered poets" before.  So thanks for making me learn something (even something as horrible and tragic as that).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, brahms

Sponsored Content

|