The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Flash-Dry Ink

diamine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AidenMark

AidenMark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:18

An observation on the phenomenon of flash dry ink.

I filled a normally unproblematic fine nib pen with one of my favourite colours Diamine Bilberry. Bilberry dries quickly on the page but its not what I would normally think of as a dry ink.

After pausing a moment for reflection while writing, the pen refused to restart. It required water dipping the nib to reactivate the flow. This happened several times, even after as little as a 30 second pause, that I had to declare the nib and ink incompatible.

Have you found any other inks that are flash dryers?

Less is More   - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Sponsored Content

#2 soum

soum

Anecdotic traveller

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:16

I think it is more to do with a saturated ink than with the ink being dry. This has happened to me with some Private Reserve inks. However, there are other factors such as ambient humidity that contribute to this problem.

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:04

I call these inks with ignition problems.  The problem is worse here in Las Vegas where we have no humidity.    I've found that the same ink may work great in another pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#4 ScarletWoodland

ScarletWoodland

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:01

I've had the same trouble with Bilberry, it dries quickly in the nib when exposed to air (rather like the various sheen monsters). It's very efficient at finding pens with less than perfect cap seals 😄.

#5 txomsy

txomsy

Ignoramus maximus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:19

I ain't so sure about saturation. I often use OS Nitrogen, Diamine Skull&Roses or Troublemaker inks in a Garant Alkor and I can stop to think with no issues as much as I want. But I also have a vintage 342G MB that I've filled with various inks that once started will write as long as I do not stop, but as soon as I do, it hard starts. I also have a second 342G that never fails to start no matter which ink it is inked with.

So, I suspect, both pens being about the same age, that it is something different. In the example, I think that it is likely that the first MB had already crust occluding the feed when I bought it and needs  a deeper cleaning, not just the ink saturation.

Not to say the ink is not to blame either, I've had some greatly flowing inks that would have that behaviour on almost any pen, but I do not think it is only due to saturation, but also may be due to other ink components, or better explained, it is a combination of pen, nib, ink saturation, ink additives and maybe other factors. That is, a multifactorial problem where each factor contributes separately.

Edited by txomsy, 02 June 2020 - 10:20.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine

Sponsored Content

|