I May Have Just Made The Most Astounding Discovery...in The History Of Discoveries Ever

Sui-Generis

...and like most discoveries? This was completely by accident.

As anyone who has seen my review over in the Ink Reviews section knows, I have been trying to do my own ink catalogue for the last week or two. If you didn't know that? Well...obviously now you do!

Regardless, the criteria I had set was to do do each ink on two papers, those being Pukka for 'average' and Oxford Optik for 'the good stuff'. The system was working well.

A few days ago I said to myself..."well, you are covering 80 and 90GSM papers...why not 60 and 70?", leading me to order yet MOAR refill pads...I swear, it's becoming a problem.

The pads I chose? Were "Cambridge Everyday" from Amazon UK to cover the 70GSM and "Nu" for the 60. The Cambridge pads turned up today.

I did 3 quick "Testing" tests using a Pentel Energel, a 1.1mm stub in a Jinhao x250 inked with Parker Penman Sapphire and a Dollar 717i inked with DeAtramentis Document black, fully expecting a horrible experience with everything. I mean, it's cheap 70GSM paper.

...this can't be right...no feather? no bleed? Uhm...and is that the sheen on the Penman Sapphire that I haven't managed to make appear even on the Oxford Optik? It is!

As a final test I used my glass dip pen into DeAtramentis Document Grey, an ink that has been nothing but ornery even in my Rhodia Goalbook...STILL no bleed or feather on the Cambridge paper!? From a freshly dipped dip pen!? In a very bleedy, spready ink!? What in the hawthorn!?

I know people love Tomoe River for it's ability to be thin and still bring out the best properties in an ink so I figured I just HAD to share this...even if this post is a hugely long, meandering ramble, but it's just because I'm extremely excited! Four "Testing"s is hardly a concise test, I know, but preliminary results are incredibly promising!

XOzSswY.jpg

BuGahGM.jpg

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paganini

• FLZapped

• DrDebG

• loganrah

this is really cool!

If you do more in-depth testing, please update this thread!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

I wonder, is there some way to tell if this is sugarcane paper? I just got some reams of TreeZero (unlined 30# printer paper) and it seems to behave remarkably similarly. It's thin enough you can see guides through it, but even my featheriest inks behave well on it.

- N

I had to go check and yeah, that stuff is standard loose-leaf notebook paper. Here it would be in the 15-16lb range, which is in the same range as 60-70GSM. And yes, that really cheap stuff outperforms much more expensive paper. It's absolutely maddening.

Luckily, my penpals aren't going to crucify me for using it. :D On the bright side, I can ramble on for many, many pages before reaching the postal first class weight limit.

-Bruce

...and like most discoveries? This was completely by accident.

As anyone who has seen my review over in the Ink Reviews section knows, I have been trying to do my own ink catalogue for the last week or two. If you didn't know that? Well...obviously now you do!

Regardless, the criteria I had set was to do do each ink on two papers, those being Pukka for 'average' and Oxford Optik for 'the good stuff'. The system was working well.

A few days ago I said to myself..."well, you are covering 80 and 90GSM papers...why not 60 and 70?", leading me to order yet MOAR refill pads...I swear, it's becoming a problem.

The pads I chose? Were "Cambridge Everyday" from Amazon UK to cover the 70GSM and "Nu" for the 60. The Cambridge pads turned up today.

I did 3 quick "Testing" tests using a Pentel Energel, a 1.1mm stub in a Jinhao x250 inked with Parker Penman Sapphire and a Dollar 717i inked with DeAtramentis Document black, fully expecting a horrible experience with everything. I mean, it's cheap 70GSM paper.

...this can't be right...no feather? no bleed? Uhm...and is that the sheen on the Penman Sapphire that I haven't managed to make appear even on the Oxford Optik? It is!

As a final test I used my glass dip pen into DeAtramentis Document Grey, an ink that has been nothing but ornery even in my Rhodia Goalbook...STILL no bleed or feather on the Cambridge paper!? From a freshly dipped dip pen!? In a very bleedy, spready ink!? What in the hawthorn!?

I know people love Tomoe River for it's ability to be thin and still bring out the best properties in an ink so I figured I just HAD to share this...even if this post is a hugely long, meandering ramble, but it's just because I'm extremely excited! Four "Testing"s is hardly a concise test, I know, but preliminary results are incredibly promising!

XOzSswY.jpg

BuGahGM.jpg

I have Cambridge Executive spiral notebooks that perform much the same way. With some really wet inks (i.e. Pilot Iroshizuku or J. Herbin Eclat d Saphir) there is a little bit of bleeding. But with a thicker, saturated ink the paper does very well. Now this paper is heavier than what you describe. But it is smooth and very nice to use.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I wonder, is there some way to tell if this is sugarcane paper? I just got some reams of TreeZero (unlined 30# printer paper) and it seems to behave remarkably similarly. It's thin enough you can see guides through it, but even my featheriest inks behave well on it.

- N

That is, 20# paper. Doh! (They're right next to each other!)

- N :)

• 4 weeks later...

The problem, in my limited experience, is not finding good quality paper, but consistently good quality paper. The basic printer paper at my work is sometimes great, mostly horrible. I hope this one holds up for you.

Methinks is a functional issue.

Most 80-90g paper in loose leaf is destined for use in printers and works horribly for hand writing. This other paper is designed with handwriting in mind and possibly for that reason works better.

At least when I have tried European brands, that is consistent, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Oxford, Cambridge, Miquelrius, Unipapel, Liderpapel, and so many other brands. Paper for notebooks, spiral bound, grappled, sewn, or even loose leafs, is usually great, white reams of printer paper used to be great until a year or two ago but now tends mostly to low quality

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.