The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Left My Work Pen At The Office

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 21:27

Like many others, we were sent home in mid-March. Figured it was going to be a couple of weeks (hindsight is 20/20), so I didn't grab a lot of things.

We had a couple of rounds of organized equipment pickups, I skipped the first one. How much longer can this last, right? (See note above about hindsight)

Today was the second round so I went in for my fancy bought-with-my-own-money chair and my pens.

My main pen at work is a Lamy 2000 filled with Sailor Kiwa-Guro. When, after 2.5 months I first opened the pen to write with, this is what happened:

Attached Images

• IMG_20200529_161816.jpg

Edited by katerchen, 30 May 2020 - 17:10.

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 21:52

I can really relate to your experience as a similar thing happened to me. In my case I returned to the office to pick up some stuff but only after one month. The Lamy 2000 I had left at the office was filled with Monteverde Charoite and it started up immediately. 

PS. Try using the "Upload" button at the top of the page, not the "Attach This File" button. 

Edited by carlos.q, 29 May 2020 - 21:54.

#3 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 22:06

Like many others, we were sent home in mid-March. Figured it was going to be a couple of weeks (hindsight is 20/20), so I didn't grab a lot of things.

We had a couple of rounds of organized equipment pickups, I skipped the first one. How much longer can this last, right? (See note above about hindsight)

Today was the second round so I went in for my fancy bought-with-my-own-money chair and my pens.

My main pen at work is a Lamy 2000 filled with Sailor Kiwa-Guro. When, after 2.5 months I first opened the pen to write with, this is what happened:

https://photos.app.g...eyp33bf2FmcnYn8

(Sorry about the click-bait link :/ file's too big, I tried to attach it first)

The justly famous L2K. A really good modern pen. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#4 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• 864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 22:26

My L2K was loaded with Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten. It was only on my desk for a month, but my experience was exactly the same as yours.

This also gives the lie to all the FUD about iron gall and pigment inks.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 23:41

Yay for the Lamy 2000! Glad you were able to get it and it was ready to write!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#6 Marcwithac

Marcwithac

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:47

This is good news indeed.  I’m still waiting to be allowed back into my office.  My Lamy was not inked, but I had some 10-12 other pens inked in my office when I left in mid-March.  I expect to get back in mid-June and can only hope that most of my other pens are as well behaved (although I’m pretty sure my Visconti Homo Sapiens will have a hard time starting).

#7 taimdala

taimdala

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:20

Yikes! Y'all're very brave even leaving your pens in the office for one night, let alone 75.

I could never bear to leave them outside my house. Or outside my room! I have two zippered cases (LiHit Lab Teffa book style) with my EDCs and two zipper folio cases with my beloved pens. The folios stay in my room and don't go anywhere. The Teffa cases follow me downstairs to my studio ... but at the end of the day, they come upstairs with me and go on the bedside table with my current everyday notebook.

I learned my lesson. I lost/misplaced my beloved No Nonsense pens from high school--which had survived 5 moves across 7 years only to go missing in 2016.  I should have kept better watch over them and the (now-vintage) hoard of Skrip ink cartridges I'd collected for them.

I should be thankful, though: losing my NNs brought me back to the pen world and wow, there is an amazing array of pens and inks now than there were in my high school years.

But I digress ...

I'll say it again--y'all're brave for leaving your pens overnight anywhere outside your house and I am very very happy y'all got your pens back. :D

#8 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:38

Yikes! Y'all're very brave even leaving your pens in the office for one night, let alone 75.

You can say that again. (And you did)

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#9 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 14:45

I admit that, like Taimdala, I was expecting a different kind of story.  I have only ever left pens at work by accident.

Incidentally, I never host my pictures on FPN.  I use imgur, and there's an Image button at the top of the post entry form that lets you insert an image from the web by providing the URL, provided the host server permits it.  (This is one reason that I use imgur instead of photobucket.)

Like this, for example:

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif

Used without permission, just because it was so handy.  And because I loved that thread.  Katerchen, you have a few hours to edit your post to put the image inline before the 24 hour window elapses.

#10 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• 960 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 17:17

I fixed the image, thanks all.

I'm not worried about leaving pens at the office ... we're fortunate that stuff disappearing was never an issue. And while I definitely wouldn't be thrilled if the pen *did* go missing, it's still a commodity item.

With that said: anything vintage, expensive or with sentimental value never leaves my home.

-k

#11 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 23:12

I’m glad for you to have your pen back. But starting right away after 2+ months isn’t a particularly unique property of the L2K.  That’s what I expect from a good pen and the L2K is an excellent one. At least 90% of my pens are like that, mostly vintage, and none is a L2K. I usually have too many pens inked and frequently one is forgotten for a couple of months. So, I often experience this kind of thing even without lockdown. What puzzles me a bit is that, apparently, some modern manufacturers can’t achieve what was standard 70+ years ago.

#12 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• 864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 23:42

What puzzles me a bit is that, apparently, some modern manufacturers can’t achieve what was standard 70+ years ago.

Well, to be fair, old time users didn't field strip their pens down every night and flush them in a solution of baby tears and virgin Norwegian fjord water. Modern pens are built for modern tolerances... :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#13 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 23:57

Well, to be fair, old time users didn't field strip their pens down every night and flush them in a solution of baby tears and virgin Norwegian fjord water. Modern pens are built for modern tolerances... :)

I still don’t as a present user. Am I supposed to fuss around with my pens like that?  :)  I always thought that fountain pens were for writing and not for taking care of like a tamagotchi.

Edited by OMASsimo, 30 May 2020 - 23:57.

#14 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:14

I am one who takes as many as 10 pens with me to work. But they never, ever stay there. They go home with me on a daily basis. It isn't like I have an office with a door that locks. I'm out in a cubicle even though I have a key to the desk. And that is when I was in the office daily. Since March 27 I have only been in the office a handful of times.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#15 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:34

My Lamy 2000 Bauhaus edition, filled with Lamy Benitoite ink, hard-started for (the equivalent of) a couple of lines of writing after being unused for maybe three months, but still writes (now) and didn't completely dry-out.

Not bad, although in my experience Platinum, Pilot, Sailor and even Aurora do a bit better in that regard with >$80 pens. I'm astounded by how good the snap-cap on the Aurora Ipsilon has proven to be.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#16 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:41

Hope that mine will also perform well when I will be able to get it in my hands again.

#17 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:17

Since I have restored a couple dozen old lever fill pens, I realize that old pens stopped working and were thrown into a drawer only to resurface in an estate sale.

There is no reason an Esterbrook from the '40's should ever have stopped working unless the owner didn't know how to maintain and/or harsh inks were used. Now days, consumers like us, understand how poorly maintained pens will stop working and we do some preventive actions. Yes, some are fearful and obsessed, but at least they are engaged. 

Also, non fountain pen owners use disposable pens and even discard rather than buying a refill for their rollerball. Therefor when they come to a FP the tendencies might continue. 

I think using a pen long term is something we have to learn is needed and even possible. After all, tools of any stripe must be cared for if we want to live one and done. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#18 Marcwithac

Marcwithac

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:22

This is good news indeed.  I’m still waiting to be allowed back into my office.  My Lamy was not inked, but I had some 10-12 other pens inked in my office when I left in mid-March.  I expect to get back in mid-June and can only hope that most of my other pens are as well behaved (although I’m pretty sure my Visconti Homo Sapiens will have a hard time starting).

Well, I finally got back into my office earlier this week, a full 4 months after fleeing NYC and abandoning a dozen inked pens on my office desk.  The results were predictably mixed.

Hands down winners were my Nakaya Long Writer and my Montblanc 149 Calligraphy, both filled with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, and my Pelikan tortoise M101N, filled with Edelstein Topaz.  All three pens started writing immediately, making smooth, full and even lines.

Honorable mention to my Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillion, filled with Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, and my Pelikan 400, filled with Edelstein Topaz.  These needed just a little help (I wet the nibs with a soaked tissue) but then wrote as though they were just filled yesterday.

Other pens did not fare so well, including a Montblanc 138, a Waterman 7, a Conid Bulkfiller and, as expected, my Visconti Homo Sapiens.  In fairness, a couple of these were not tightly closed (who knew it would be 4 months between uses).  My biggest disappointment was my Franklin-Christoph 31 with Mike Masuyama nib, which was filled with Diamine Bilberry; it didn’t write smoothly even after wetting the nib.  I suspect in that case it was more the ink than the pen.

To be clear, I will thoroughly flush, and if necessary, disassemble and clean, all of these pens.  But among the lessons learned are (1) keep fewer pens inked (there have been a number of threads on FPN on this topic) and (2) make sure pens are tightly closed when not in use.

#19 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,343 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 13:06

An impressive list of office pens!

#20 maclink

maclink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2020 - 00:22

Well, I had two pens stored in my Winter coat pocket and have been there from before COVID-19 seemed like a major issue, so it was before the lockdown.

One is a TWSBI Eco with a fine nib - containing Iroshizuku Yama Guri ink.  The other is my Lamy 2000 that I had actually overlooked being there all this time.  I've been busy with other pens.  My Conid Regular had completely taken over as my EDC and has now been usurped for the time being by my Opus 88 Omar. 

Anyway, the TWSBI amazingly wrote straight off the bat.  This thing has been inked for at least 6 months as a back up so I hardly write with it and each time I test it's just writing.  I think TWSBI has a way of keeping their ECO's wet that's just as good as Platinum with their 3776's.

The Lamy 2K, unfortunately, will not write.  I'll have to flush it out etc.

.... Update..  The Lamy 2k was in my coat pocket, stored upside down.  After posting this message, I went back to the Lamy which I had left on its side on my desk.  In the time I took to write this message, it's now writing again.

Edited by maclink, 21 June 2020 - 00:25.

__

:happyberet:

Sponsored Content

|