The Charming Attributes Of Pelikan 400 Nn Fountain Pen

ibrahim

If someone has Pelikan M 600 or 800, or even a thousand, why would they still purchase a Pelikan 400 nn fountain pen? Is it any smoother? What does it give me that other pens in the Pelikan flock don’t?

Many thanks to everyone giving details and examples to help me understand.

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• carola

• ibrahim

• TitoThePencilPimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The nib. PF, EN, 14c whatever, no modern Pelikan nib can hold a candle to the vintage ones.

The nib. PF, EN, 14c whatever, no modern Pelikan nib can hold a candle to the vintage ones.

Some of the pens made in the recent years have the PF mark. Just because you do not see a PF mark on a nib does not mean that it is not there. Right?

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

gyasko is absolutely right. Vintage Pelikan (and not only Pelikan) nibs open up a completely different world of writing. They are made for a lighter touch, are softer, more flexible. The tipping is not a round blob like in modern nibs usually. Broader ones are ground chisel like and allow for wonderful line variation and expressive writing. You might have to get used to a lighter hand, though, if you come from modern nail nibs.

Ah, the age old question, why a vintage Pelikan... :P

I would say simply because they were designed, engineered and manufacture to exacting standards in the golden age of fountain pens (c. 1930-1960 or so, varies a bit depending on who you ask) when the pens were made for daily, continuous use and transitioned from the use of naturally degrading and more fragile natural materials (think of casein, bakelite, ebonite and cork etc.) to modern and more durable synthetic ones (lucite, acrylic, modern thermoplastics etc.). Thus, they possess qualities that combine the best from both the old and the new.

When it comes to Pelikans of that era you have to remember that pens were, for the most part, considered as and designed to be tools for "the common man" (well, white collar workers and businessmen for the most part) instead of fashion accessories (higher end models did come with more "bling").

As a result there was just the right amount of gold in the nib alloy, and the alloy was of the right material composition, to afford the required amount of elasticity in as thin a nib as possible that could withstand the rigours of daily use (and then some). They also had manifold and "hard" nibs made of a more thick stock for carbon copying etc.

Thus the nibs which play a central role in those pens are a thing of beauty all of their own. OMASsimo mentioned many good things about them, such as the fact that the broader nibs (B/BB/3B) are indeed cut and shaped to be cursive italics by default with some bordering on italic. They are my favourite nibs of all time, smooth and effortless natural line variation with no need to resort to flex (it is there though but more like a good suspension in a car). And yes, the broader obliques (OB/OBB/O3B) are like that too! :)

Like mentioned, they do have flex if you want that but I have stopped going there personally as it gets on the way of fluid and flowing writing with as light a hand as possible.

Then we can move on to things like ergonomics of the pens themselves. They are light but quite durable, portable when capped but grow to a respectable length when posted, the balance is excellent, they also hold a ton of ink (2.0ml for the 400NN), are reliable as heck, do not dry when capped for weeks and weeks etc. So yeah... those are the main reasons.

They also feel... "not cheap", despite being light in weight. It is a different experience and one that I have embraced entirely. So yeah, the 400NN, like the other post war Pelikans also, is one heck of a pen for daily use, for example, my core EDC pens are all vintage Pelikans. :)

400NN are also still widely available and despite the prices that keep creeping up they are quite affordable for what you get.

... why would they still purchase a Pelikan 400 nn fountain pen?

some will not agree but the answer is simple (at least for me): ...since you will get a better pen for less money (from a users point of view).

and from a collectors point of view: ...since it's collectable! B)

c.

Edited by christof

Mana and christof have summarized the answer. My feelings exactly. :thumbup:

My mother had a 400nn, black, fine nib. She bought it in the sixties and used it until the eighties. I remember her writing a lot with it, with the blue/black ink. Now I have that pen, and it still writes beautifully.

Maybe my opinion is biased by being nostalgic, but among the modern Pelikans that I own, the 400nn is the one that indeed means "writing".

I would say simply because they were designed, engineered and manufacture to exacting standards in the golden age of fountain pens (c. 1930-1960 or so, varies a bit depending on who you ask) when the pens were made for daily, continuous use and transitioned from the use of naturally degrading and more fragile natural materials (think of casein, bakelite, ebonite and cork etc.) to modern and more durable synthetic ones (lucite, acrylic, modern thermoplastics etc.). Thus, they possess qualities that combine the best from both the old and the new.

When it comes to Pelikans of that era you have to remember that pens were, for the most part, considered as and designed to be tools for "the common man" (well, white collar workers and businessmen for the most part) instead of fashion accessories (higher end models did come with more "bling").

As a result there was just the right amount of gold in the nib alloy, and the alloy was of the right material composition, to afford the required amount of elasticity in as thin a nib as possible that could withstand the rigours of daily use (and then some). They also had manifold and "hard" nibs made of a more thick stock for carbon copying etc.

Thus the nibs which play a central role in those pens are a thing of beauty all of their own. OMASsimo mentioned many good things about them, such as the fact that the broader nibs (B/BB/3B) are indeed cut and shaped to be cursive italics by default with some bordering on italic. They are my favourite nibs of all time, smooth and effortless natural line variation with no need to resort to flex (it is there though but more like a good suspension in a car). And yes, the broader obliques (OB/OBB/O3B) are like that too! :)

Like mentioned, they do have flex if you want that but I have stopped going there personally as it gets on the way of fluid and flowing writing with as light a hand as possible.

Then we can move on to things like ergonomics of the pens themselves. They are light but quite durable, portable when capped but grow to a respectable length when posted, the balance is excellent, they also hold a ton of ink (2.0ml for the 400NN), are reliable as heck, do not dry when capped for weeks and weeks etc. So yeah... those are the main reasons.

They also feel... "not cheap", despite being light in weight. It is a different experience and one that I have embraced entirely. So yeah, the 400NN, like the other post war Pelikans also, is one heck of a pen for daily use, for example, my core EDC pens are all vintage Pelikans. :)

I enjoyed reading and learning from your post which is applicable to several vintage pen brands.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's why I have a couple of vintage Pelikans. I bought one modern Pelikan and found the nib very disappointing. I sold it on.

Regards,

Eachan

You could easily write with a 400NN for the rest of your life and not feel shortchanged.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Size.

I grew up using fountain pens in the late 60s through 80s. The 400NN is considered small today, but I love the size, it seems just right to me.

• 2 weeks later...

The 400NN is a wonderful pen. I often wonder why it took so long for me to get one. My introduction to vintage Pelikan was a 140 in 2017, and I said the same thing about it. I bought the 400NN last fall (November), and although it is a EF, a size I have several of but don't use as frequently it has been inked near continuously since it arrived.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to your recommendations, especially what our friend “mana” had to say, I was able to buy my own pen from Rick Propas, from the PENguin and I have been delighted to receive a pen that has outlasted generations of people, it fits perfectly in the hand and writes so well. The pen looks hardly used and it is a joy to write with. Holding it I feel like it fits perfectly in my Egyptian hands and I can write and write and keep going. You can reach Rick at rickpropas@comcast.net and it is nice to buy my pen from a historian, an academic professor who cherishes the value of writing and not just another seller. It’s evident that as a scholar he does take personal, deep pleasure in his collection of pens. I highly recommend him with every fiber of my being.

Thanks to your recommendations, especially what our friend “mana” had to say, I was able to buy my own pen from Rick Propas, from the PENguin and I have been delighted to receive a pen that has outlasted generations of people, it fits perfectly in the hand and writes so well. The pen looks hardly used and it is a joy to write with. Holding it I feel like it fits perfectly in my Egyptian hands and I can write and write and keep going. You can reach Rick at rickpropas@comcast.net and it is nice to buy my pen from a historian, an academic professor who cherishes the value of writing and not just another seller. It’s evident that as a scholar he does take personal, deep pleasure in his collection of pens. I highly recommend him with every fiber of my being.

Happy to hear that! :)

I cringe when I read threads like this one (be happy with your new pen, Ibrahim!), because I imagine the prices of vintage Pelikans going steadily and up...

Mind you, I already have my fair share of these (100/100N/400/400NN) so that I shouldn't really complain! :lol:

PS: I need a 400N, for completion, I suppose -- and a black-striped 400NN would be nice, too...oh, Pelikans, Pelikans...the best of the lot!

I cringe when I read threads like this one (be happy with your new pen, Ibrahim!), because I imagine the prices of vintage Pelikans going steadily and up...

Mind you, I already have my fair share of these (100/100N/400/400NN) so that I shouldn't really complain! :lol:

PS: I need a 400N, for completion, I suppose -- and a black-striped 400NN would be nice, too...oh, Pelikans, Pelikans...the best of the lot!

Yeah, I am guilty of thinking like that too... :D But then again I also try to think about this so that maybe this "marketing" that we are doing will lead other people into the light and bring about a newfound awareness that will lead to many a forgotten vintage Pelikan that might get otherwise passed being found and finding a new caring home... lost birds finding their way back to the flock.

Anyway, that all said there are still bargains to be found and good deals to be made, maybe not the sumgai ones where you could find mint condition pens for less than 50-100€... or even less. I too already have more than my life's full of 100N, 400 & 400NN, anything more than those is really just extra. The ones that I would really like to find unfortunately play in an entirely different class price wise and are out of my means atm. Think of mint condition 101N or the more exotic versions and prototypes of 100N (like the light green striped) etc. But, then again, I am happy with what I already have. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I only can agree with everything said above.

There are some beautiful M800s in my flock, a recent M400 and one from the 1980s (the pen that accompanied me through my teenage years and survived beautifully), some vintage 400s, one 400N and some 400NNs.

One of the best things really is the nib on the vintage pens. But especially with the 400NNs it is also the experiment in shape which singles them out from the 400-600-800-1000 line. They are special. And then there is the history you get with the vintage ones for free. Holding a pen (of whatever brand) in my hand that is 60 years old (or even 91 years like my oldest one) can send shivers down my spine, seeing it was obviously loved and well kept, has survived all odds (Depression, WW2 and a time where people loved to swap old stuff for new, depending on the age of the pen) and still looks like it just came from the factory. I´d like to see a human being doing that...

As much as I adore the beautiful colours and the design of my new birds - my heart ist with the vintage ones.

Edited by carola

I would like to pull out this comment by mana earlier, not only in relation to Pelikan.

I agree entirely. I can point out older pens I have, a few brands, where there is considerable flex available if you want to do that. However, I simply find them to be wonderful pens with which to write quickly, smoothly, and comfortably. The pen is the fine tool which does not demand your attention yet when you notice what you are doing there is pleasure. If there is evidence of variable line widths in the resultant writing then that is coincidence, not to me the main game. I am no calligrapher of course.

I own no 400NN but a few other Pelikans of the era, 100, 100N and 400; wonderful daily writing pens in any environment. I will always (and have repeatedly :rolleyes:) recommend 30s-50s fountain pens.

X