A Slight Departure From The Usual First Fountain Pen Thread

Chouffleur

A friend of ours has a daughter about to graduate from high school. So I want to buy her a fountain pen as a graduation present.

Ordinarily I'd pick either a Lamy Al-Star or Lamy 2000 as a first fountain pen in line with the usual advice I see here on such matters.

This is a special occasion so I'd like to buy her something a bit grander. Unfortunately I'm a vintage person (in more ways than one) so I have little knowledge of actual made-in-the-last-few-years fountain pens.

I'd like to buy her something whose name she'd recognize as a gift to be treasured when she eventually gets around to using it. To me that would mean something like a Pelikan or a Montblanc. While I would think something like a Wahl Doric or a Parker 75 Premier Athenes would be epic I doubt that she would.

My initial thought was something like the Pelikan Star Ruby M205 but I wasn't sure if that would work for her hand size.

Here is what I know about her:

Glove size: Large

Color preference: Pink

Handwriting size: Average->Large

Thick or thin line when writing: On the thicker side

Given those variables and the big-present-status-requirement what do you suggest?

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• basterma

• LuckyKate

• Estycollector

Might I suggest a TWSBI Diamond 580 or a TWSBI Eco with a medium or broad nib? I know that neither pen looks vintage at all or anywhere close to a Mont Blanc or a Pelikan but they do have a bit of shine and sparkle. Also, both models are piston fillers. They hold a ton of ink and the demonstrator barrel allows watching the ink slosh back and forth. It looks modern enough that a young person today can feel confident they won't look dowdy using it and its design is sleek like something out of the Apple Store.

(If you want the Apple store look, might I suggest buying the White/Rose Gold Eco? It really has that streamlined aesthetic that Apple is famous for and the color scheme rocks.)

One of the qualities that have won me over to TWSBI is how very well they function on so little maintenance. Provided you aren't filling the pen with shimmer ink and letting that ink sit undisturbed for years (though I did go a year doing just that, with no ill effects), a TWSBI is pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it sort of pen. It's also durable and can handle being thrown into a purse or laptop bag without worrying about it snapping in two. An Eco or Diamond 580 is rather forgiving of benign neglect or gentle abuse, just the sort of thing a newbie will dish out.

At least, I've found my TWSBIs to be so.

On the writing qualities, all my TWSBIs wrote like a savage right out of the box. Nice and wet without being sloppy or gushy. You know you're writing with ink but it doesn't feel like you can't control it. TWSBIs nibs just write a little wetter, so it doesn't take much effort to get the ink to lay down on the page. For someone more accustomed to ball points, this is a plus because I think it's less intimdating. The steel nibs also flex a little, giving you line variation, but also this means that for someone who initially bears down hard (as you're accustomed to do with ballpoints), you don't have to worry about ruining the nib. The steel nib can take it, in the way I would be afraid if I had, say, the soft fine nib on my Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue.

TWSBI also makes opaque body pens: the TWSBI Classic and the TWSBI Precision. I haven't bought or tried out these two models, yet, so I can't say from experience how they fare as pens, but if the nibs and feeds are interchangeable across all the TWSBI offerings, I feel confident in that case to say that their nibs will write just like those in the Eco or 580 and that their pen bodies will be just as durable, if not more so. The Precision, for example, is a *metal* bodied pen. The Classic is a plastic body.

As far as I know, the Classic and the Precision are pretty conservative in their color offerings: white, black, dark blue, burgundy red (and grey being available on the Precision). The Diamond 580s and Ecos have more color choices in the caps and piston knobs but all are demonstrators. You're going to have a two-tone look with these.

On the other hand, if you'd like a modern pen that looks more like a vintage classic, I can recommend the Platinum 3776 Century. It's got rounded ends like a Pelikan or a Mont Blanc but as it's a pen made by Platinum, you have a wider range of nibs to choose from. Pen bodies are also available in opaque and translucent plastic, ranging from the classic opaque black or white to translucent cobalt blue or burgundy to transparent colorless or pastels. These pens come with Japanese nibs, which write one size smaller than their corresponding Western nibs, so if your young lady prefers to write medium to large, perhaps a Japanese broad nib will be the perfect medium. These pens are cartridge/converter pens, so refilling is simple, even if the amount of ink between refills is nowhere near as long as a piston filler.

On yet another hand--I have more than two hands, apparently!--I can also recommend a Sheaffer No Nonsense fountain pen, but please get one from the 1980s. I DO NOT recommend the "modern" version of the No Nonsense, the one the refurbished Sheaffer company has named "Viewpoint". I bought a set of three, thinking to replace my beloved NN pens from the 80s I'd misplaced and boy! they were a flimsy plastic disappointment. I wouldn't get these for anyone. Not even a toddler who is likely to break the pen right out of the box. They just aren't worth the effort. You can spot these easily by the black squishy "rubber" sections with the dimples as well as the Lamy-style rectangular window cut into the barrel. I really can't say enough how much I dislike these pens--they write well enough and I suppose they're good enough for little kids, but still, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.

Fortunately, No Nonsense pens from the 80s and 90s (and from the 60s and 70s even) are easily found on eBay and prices are affordable. These pens will look simple, possibly even dowdy, against the more modern/recent pens offered today but they are great writers and need even less care than a TWSBI Eco. Their pen bodies are hard to break due to their hearty design and girth. Caps screw on securely, the pens post firmly (and the clip therefore acts as an effective roll-stop), and they are cartridge/converter pens. The cartridges are very simple to use and you can install them from either end. There's no need to remember or worry about which end gets pierced. The Skrip ink inside the cartridges is gentle and unfussy. It's a very easy pen for a beginner to use. The nibs are either italics (somewhat like stub nibs) in fine, medium, or broad; or they come with ball tips in the usual fine, medium, and broad. The writing experience itself is easy and darned near effortless. For some reason, the original NN nibs just wrote fantastically from the start. Cleaning the nib is easy. Just run it under the sink faucet to flush it out and you're set.

I have the TWSBI Eco and Diamond 580, the Platinum 3776 Century, and the Sheaffer No Nonsense pens in my own EDC. I use them daily and they've never let me down. I think the hardest part in my own experience is choosing which pen to use and giving all the pens equal time! I have nearly a dozen Ecos and I worry that some might feel left out and unwanted.

(But that's just me anthropomorphizing again.)

Overall, these are the pens I would buy without hesitation to give to anyone as a gift because I am confident that the recipient will have a pleasant experience with these pens.

Edited by taimdala

That's a tricky one.

Since you're already inclined towards Pelikan, as a name that you (and ideally she) would readily recognise as a brand for premium writing instruments, the pinkest (and large cousin of the M200) is the Souverän 600 White-Pink which was made in the last few years, out of production now, but still possible to acquire. They come fitted with 14K gold nibs (as opposed to the steel nib on the M200 Ruby Pink).

Personally I'd be looking at the pink-coloured options among Japanese 'Big Three' brands of fountain pens for their reliability, but they're not really recognisable outside of hobbyists, in the 'Western world' anyway. The Platinum #3776 Nice Lilas (with a Broad nib) comes to mind; and Sailor makes some pink models such as the Professional Gear 'Classic' as a Ruby Pink demonstrator, but personally I feel demonstrators look inherently cheap, especially to those who aren't in the hobby and recognise their market value.

Perhaps a Lamy Imporium with rose gold trim and a 14K rose gold nib (in Broad or whatever)? Feminine without being too girly, Lamy is German-made and a recognisable name in writing instruments, the pen itself is well-made (I have two, just not in white) and hefty in the hand that gives the user a sense of gravitas, and the metal grip section isn't slippery because it is ribbed.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's a tricky one.

Since you're already inclined towards Pelikan, as a name that you (and ideally she) would readily recognise as a brand for premium writing instruments, the pinkest (and large cousin of the M200) is the Souverän 600 White-Pink which was made in the last few years, out of production now, but still possible to acquire. They come fitted with 14K gold nibs (as opposed to the steel nib on the M200 Ruby Pink).

Personally I'd be looking at the pink-coloured options among Japanese 'Big Three' brands of fountain pens for their reliability, but they're not really recognisable outside of hobbyists, in the 'Western world' anyway. The Platinum #3776 Nice Lilas (with a Broad nib) comes to mind; and Sailor makes some pink models such as the Professional Gear 'Classic' as a Ruby Pink demonstrator, but personally I feel demonstrators look inherently cheap, especially to those who aren't in the hobby and recognise their market value.

Perhaps a Lamy Imporium with rose gold trim and a 14K rose gold nib (in Broad or whatever)? Feminine without being too girly, Lamy is German-made and a recognisable name in writing instruments, the pen itself is well-made (I have two, just not in white) and hefty in the hand that gives the user a sense of gravitas, and the metal grip section isn't slippery because it is ribbed.

Great suggestions for something that will last and be loved and appreciated. My first thought was a medium for giving a nice line and good flow of ink without being overwhelming.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

well I humbly disagree , you should not limit yourself to Pelikan or alike , branding sure is one thing but for a keepsake gift, quality is paramount ; and as a writing tool, its the writing part that really matter. Further , there is a reason why some styling and some colour choice are long standing cause they stand the test of time .. and pink likely is not one of them ... the recipient will get to know the brand when she start using it ( do not underestimate today's kid, and internet )

An entry level Gold Nib pen would pull the gift away from just the nominal another pen gift status and would announce your hearty care to the recipient ; as a young lady , perhaps something like the Sailor Promenade ( model 11-1031 ) it could be had in classic black but also pearlescent encrusted Burgundy or Dark Blue ( but both are much livelier than the normal dark hue ) ; or the Mfr's Shikiori series. Personally I would recommend the Shikiori [名月]model 11-1224-303 which had some girly feminine touch of colour sparkels on white. For some cheeky fun ; try Pilot's Capless

Brand recognition IMHO in a gift ( as far as quality pens goes ) is not usually needed, the pen itself usually present itself ( and especially with its nibs that boldly say 14K or 18K or .. ) sooner or late the lady will goto college or graduate to work, and a keepsake pen with long lasting classic styling trump anything else

Please add to the information you provided so we may better assist you some aspects of her personality.

Suggested indicators of what she might like include her hobbies,

her immediate plans after high school

and her long term plans for her life.

I chose these indicators a they mirror some of the things you may have heard from her parent when they have spoken about her and which are not what would be considered personal identifiers.

Not a student, but a work colleague who was admiring my Esterbrook Transitional yesterday mentioned that he had never used one, but thought it was cool to see one being used. I asked him if he would like to have one. Initially I considered giving him a vintage, but later thought the best thing would be to choose a good medium nib with ink cartridges. I found a grey Lamy Safari with six cartridges. Sure, it might be boring to us, but my goal is to make using a FP easy to ink and practical for everyday use.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I would get her Pelikan and an extra italic nib, or a Lamy Studio and a gold Lamy nib, or a cheaper workhorse like a Cross Townsend and a gift certificate for something more eye catching if she takes to having a fountain pen. If you want a pen from outside the fringe, try this: http://baopals.com/products/585322310183?at=gfjSY0ySNBM

Not all TWSBI nibs/feed units are interchangeable. Goulet offers nib units for the 580 (backwards compatible with 540 and 530), Vac 700R, Vac Mini, and Mini. Units are not interchangeable between the 700 and 700R. I don't know if the ECO and Go even have that sort of interchangeable nib/feed/section unit. I found a useful thread here.

Platinum's cartridge is pretty big, and IMO, well designed. They use a steel ball bearing around 2.5mm or so as the closure, and it can rattle in there. The throat is wide enough that they can be refilled with disposable 3ml bulb pipettes. People complain that Platinum's converters often have a short service life; apparently, this relates to them not being lubricated before leaving the factory. Platinum also offers an adapter so you can fit standard international cartridges into their proprietary c/c pens.

I would give her a Kaweco Lilliput Copper.

That's something pinky, highly distinctive, sure to attract a sight or two, that can be thrown in a purse to bang around carelessly, German quality and style and simple minimalist bauhaus design. A fireblue Lilliput might be more showy (and expensive) but may be not so appreciated and it is more difficult to know how it will look like.

I know, I'm an outlier but, for a young lady, I think that that pen is ideal.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Parker 51 set, with the leather case, if possible. I have bought and saved three sets -- restored, of course -- for my grandsons, including, I see, a P-51 vac double-jewel. They last forever. Not something you can you can buy as easily as a Sailor or Pelikan, although both companies make first-rate pens. The 51 is vintage, but the style is far ahead of modern pens with glitz.

(That she likes pink does not mean she wants a pink fountain pen for graduation. Perhaps a burgundy, or, more eye-catching, English bloody burgundy)

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I have glove size large men's hands and Parker 75s are easy to use, a Ciselé would be the classic choice, same for Pelikan m205 sized pens, beyond their looks they both offer reliability, other choices might have her cursing your name ever time the pen fails to start or skips... I would first make sure she actually likes and would use a fountain pen, she might be in much more need of something more pedestrian like a phone... Then there's also the benefit of a complete experience gift, with ink and paper, so she can at least understand what it's all about... A small Rhodia pad can do the trick.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I also have large sized men's hands and can't deal at all with Pelikan's diminutive 200/205 size, and even struggle with 400s. I can't remember now if a budget was mentioned but I would include as possibilities some already mentioned, including the 3776 which is available in a wide variety of colours or a nice Cross Townsend which is a super writer. I'm just about to receive a Duofold Centennial as a belated birthday present so perhaps an International (as a size compromise) could be considered?

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Might I suggest a TWSBI Diamond 580 or a TWSBI Eco with a medium or broad nib? I know that neither pen looks vintage at all or anywhere close to a Mont Blanc or a Pelikan but they do have a bit of shine and sparkle. Also, both models are piston fillers. They hold a ton of ink and the demonstrator barrel allows watching the ink slosh back and forth. It looks modern enough that a young person today can feel confident they won't look dowdy using it and its design is sleek like something out of the Apple Store.

(If you want the Apple store look, might I suggest buying the White/Rose Gold Eco? It really has that streamlined aesthetic that Apple is famous for and the color scheme rocks.)

+1 I teach at a college and my vintage Watermen on its lanyard draws nary a second glance. The ONLY pen of mine that has regularly drawn gasps of appreciation from my 18 year old students is the Twsbi 580. In fact some of my students have even bought (pre-lockdown of course) their own 580s. The new Prussian Blue is really very pretty. Also I have large/medium-ish women's hands and the 580 is the perfect size/weight for me. If you got it from Dan Smith you could be sure it will write perfectly, which is so important for a positive early fountain pen experience.

I also think the Lamy studio with a 14 k nib is lovely, but people differ about whether or not the section is too slippery.

A restored Parker VS might fit the bill. It has the recognizable name, you can get it with a gold filled cap, there are colors other than black, and she can see the 14K nib. Pen and pencil sets are available, too. (Check with Gary Weimer)

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Hey guys and gals with perceived large hands, the issue is the ink. Not everyone wants to suck from a bottle.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"