The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Long Profit Kiyoteru With Choshitsu Maki-E

sailor urushi choshitsu maki-e

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 22:03

This is an old pen from the 1990's that is new to me. Condition is outstanding. The workmanship is really beyond. This is a Sailor Long Profit model, likely from the Koshyu Shitsugei series. It is called the 清照 - "Kiyoteru" or "Seiteru". The totally amazing maki-e work was evidently done by Otomaru Koda, the inventor of the choshitsu engraved lacquer technique used on the pen, and a National Treasure. The urushi is composed of many thick layers that is carved down to reveal concentric multi-colored layers. The carving is deep, it can be seen and felt. It is beautiful to say the least. The pen next to the Sailor is a Wancher Dream Pen in midori urushi. 

49931500648_494c137426_k.jpgIMG_5022 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49932011161_0b5988868c_k.jpgIMG_5023 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49932322142_d7c82f4885_h.jpgIMG_5026 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Also pictured is my Danitrio with kamakura-bori carving. Compared to the Sailor the carving on the Danitrio is simple.

49932011071_2243a3b038_k.jpgIMG_5025 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49931500458_3b66cad96a_h.jpgIMG_5024 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The nib was made by Nagahara Sr. It is his invention, the naginata-togi with emperor overfeed. The nib is perfect, sublime. Perfect writing with typical feedback. 

49939730921_d7ee86ec23_h.jpgIMG_5036 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Packaging is a Paulowina wood box typical of Japanese craft items. 

49937684093_2f23950f09_k.jpgIMG_5031 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Edited by jandrese, 26 May 2020 - 22:37.

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 23:41

Lovely pen. This extended 1911 used for all the Nagahara pens is a real favorite of mine. It was available in numerous styles and finishes. So much more comfortable for me to use than the 1911L. Enjoy it!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:43

Lovely pen. This extended 1911 used for all the Nagahara pens is a real favorite of mine. It was available in numerous styles and finishes. So much more comfortable for me to use than the 1911L. Enjoy it!

Thanks, yeah, I too really like the shape of this pen. Deceptively large and the cap posts safely, safe for the urushi that is. This pen is actually a better writer posted. I'd wager a big bet the nib was tuned with the cap posted.  

#4 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:58

As an admirer of Sailor pens, this resonates with me. Wonderful pen, congrats! What is that little chrome-coloured protrusion (or hole) in the middle of the four ovoids...?

#5 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 13:05

As an admirer of Sailor pens, this resonates with me. Wonderful pen, congrats! What is that little chrome-coloured protrusion (or hole) in the middle of the four ovoids...?

Good eye. Those seem to be little metal spheres or the tips of a pin imbedded in the pen. I believe they are intended to be roll stoppers but I'm not 100% sure.

#6 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 13:11

For those interested in the different carving techniques kamakura-bori sculpts out lacquer and base material (ebonite in the Danitrio above) whereas choshitsu carves only urushi. There are more layers of urushi in the choshitsu technique. Clever planning and patience is required to reveal the desired patterns in choshitsu and the designs can become quite involved. 

#7 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:17

Amazing. Im really upset I didnt buy one of these when they were sitting, unloved, in the cabinets of my local bricks-and-mortar - many with Nagahara nibs!

Oh well... hindsight is 20-20.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#8 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 17:00

Really like the design; and of course love the older Sailor nibs too. Another pen to add to my wishlist

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, urushi, choshitsu, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|