The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Phileas "replacement"

waterman phileas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyDog10

LuckyDog10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 21:39

Hello, all!

My lovely blue Phileas caught the eye of a new coworker (hallelujah, I am no longer the only "weird pen person" on staff) during a meeting. I had to break the news to him that the pen was discontinued, but I decided to help him out with a Google search for a decent replacement. 

Nothing can replace this lovely little gem, IMO. But the Hémisphère kept popping up in my searches. I know nothing of it; would it be considered a reasonably comparable writing experience? 

The writer is a relative newbie, and his current workhorse is a Kaweco Sport (black, with a gold clip). 

I welcome all opinions, highly biased and otherwise!

Thanks,

Jenny

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

Sponsored Content

#2 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:02

The Kultur is still made and sold in France, it is exactly the same as the Phileas, just some details are different.

The Embleme is a brand new model, which looks like the love-child of the Kultur/Phileas and Hemisphere.

The Allure/Graduate is a great pen.

I like the Hemisphere as well, just be aware that it has the slimmest grip section of the models I mentioned, which might be too thin for some people. If that isn't a problem, it's a great pen.

#3 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:30

It looks like the Phileas is readily available on ebay.

#4 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:36

Yes,the Hemisphere is a great little pen, but  bit more expensive than the Phileas.  Might be a step up.

Erick

Edited by langere, 27 May 2020 - 01:36.

Waterman Hemisphere "M" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Moonman M8 "F" nib running Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Sailor Professional Gear Manyo "H-MF" nib running Waterman Green

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:00

I have a Hemisphere ballpoint.  It is lacquered over metal.  A heavier pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:58

You'll find plenty of Phileas on eBay, although the prices some want for them are pretty astronomical for what was once really an entry level Waterman.  Good pens though, my first purchase when I came back to the fold a fair few years ago now....

Edited by Aysedasi, 27 May 2020 - 12:59.

#7 LuckyDog10

LuckyDog10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 14:29

I like the Hemisphere as well, just be aware that it has the slimmest grip section of the models I mentioned, which might be too thin for some people. If that isn't a problem, it's a great pen.

That is definitely a consideration. I have "man hands" (to use a Seinfeld term!) and prefer a larger pen. I'll bring that up to my coworker, too. He may want to balance comfort and portability. 

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

#8 LuckyDog10

LuckyDog10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 14:30

It looks like the Phileas is readily available on ebay.

That was the first place I sent him! In fact, I had my eyes on one of the green ones (mine is blue) when I searched for him! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, phileas

Sponsored Content

|