New Metal Wing Sung 601

MilanKov

So I was browsing through Bobbys e-bay and I have noticed something new. Wing Sing 601 with a metal body Price is slightly higher than classic and curiosity got better of me and I bought one. I already have 2 normal 601 and I am really curious about the metal version of this pen. has anyone any experiences with this new model?

I couldn't find any pictures so is the e.-bay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wing-Sung-601-Vacumatic-Fountain-Pen-Steel-Ink-Pen-Piston-Type-Silver-Clip-F-Nib/233590766661

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paganini

• Estycollector

• drathbun

• MilanKov

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not yet, its on my to buy list :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Well from what i see it's available from different sellers with prices from 20 to 25 $ .

In this steel vacumatic version are available the Wing Sung 601 and Wing Sung 601A in chrome and golden trimmings !

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Shanghai JL release the all steel 601 in all 3 variant ( Hooded, Triumph, & Open nib ) and all 3 in both gold and steel nib version wit either chrome or gold trim. its likely needing some time to made it to all the online retailers

I also have one on the way (or...on the way to on the way). I know at one point Wing Sung developed a version that had a steel section as well, but I'm glad they went with a plastic section for production. I hope the added heft from the metal feels good in the hand.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have just received the pen. First impressions are very good, the pen is heavier than the standard WS 601, but not overly so. It is also slightly longer. The nib performs relatively well and it is relatively smooth if you hit the sweet spot. What I really miss is the ink window as it is harder to say if the pen filled fully. I am bit worried that the barrel will be magnet for scratches.

That are my first impressions.

With regards Milan

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

I've been using my metal "Flighter" 601A for a couple of weeks now as my EDC. It looks really sharp and so far hasn't scratched at all. It actually seems pretty rugged. It writes like my other three 601As, like a nail, but smooth enough. So far this pen hasn't leaked from the nib like my other 601As have done. I too miss the ink window, but its good looks more than make up for that one problem.

• 5 months later...

I just got one with gold appointments and love it. I did drop it on the carpet and went through a couple of days of ink in the cap, but have a thorough flushing it hasn't leaked again. 

It is not as smooth, but very similar to my Lamy Vista. It can be both wet and dry, not sure why. 

I carry the Flighter 601 with a vintage Flighter Parker 45 BP. 

BTW, a metal section is available to replace the stock and Parker era similar black plastic part. The cost for the metal version is $16 that I am not sure I will consider. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I ordered one of the metal sections (I've had some problems with the plastic ones). It should be here in a few days; I will post pictures when it arrives! 

6 minutes ago, Paganini said:

I ordered one of the metal sections (I've had some problems with the plastic ones). It should be here in a few days; I will post pictures when it arrives! 

I would be interested in your experiences with the metal section. What problems did you have with the plastic ones? Did Parker ever produce a full metal flighter model? 

22 hours ago, Paganini said:

Interesting , I had been using the 601 since its initial batch with that diaphragm , and so far I had no issue with any of the hoods , would like to know about your story , just what kind of problem did you encounter, it might be knowledge that might help others in the long run 

My first 601 was the 601A with the "Triomphe" style fingernail nib. I really hated it; I even got a bunch of spare nibs from Bobby, and they were all terrible. (Not Bobby's fault; they weren't custom grinds or anything. The weirdness of those nibs has been well documented here and in other places.)

Anyway, that pen sat in my "failure" drawer going to waste for quite a while, until I hit on the idea of converting it into a regular hooded "Parker 51" style 601. I was reading your (@Mech-for-i's) thread about the interchangeability of parts, and I saw that Bobby had a lot of spare parts for these pens; but one thing he didn't have was spare feeds and collectors. I ended up buying the cheapest 601 I could find (a 2018 all black one with no ink-window) for about $13 to use as spare parts. 

I wanted to make sure I understood how everything worked before trying to transplant any parts, so I disassembled that pen for cleaning and tuning. I ran into some trouble when I was realigning the section. It seemed like the section needs to be screwed on VERY TIGHTLY or it will move around during normal operation. But there doesn't seem to be any kind of a hard stop past where you can no longer tighten it; I overtightened the section, slipped the threads, and it cracked. I should point out I wasn't using any kind of tool - no crazy pliers or anything - just my own fingers. Not even a rubber thumb! 

Anyway, I tried to glue the crack, but I needed a jig to spread it slightly so I could work the glue in; I wrapped some masking tape around the end of a pencil and pushed the section down over it, and a huge chunk blew out of the other end of the section, not even the cracked part. It must have had some structural weakness from the factory. 

As a quick fix I ordered a 6-pack of Hero 616s from Amazon (I think it cost $11). Their hoods seem sturdier, which is not what I expected. (Aren't the 601 hoods supposed to be made of ABS plastic, like Lego?) They also have a more gradual taper, which I like. 

Meanwhile I ordered the all metal section from Bobby - seems like a good bet it won't crack! - and the all metal 601 while I was at it. I figure I can either pair them and have an all-metal flighter style pen, or I can mix 'n' match the metal section with the plastic barrel Lamy 2000 style! :D

On a side note, over the hiatus I disassembled some of the caps for these pens - Wing Sung 601, Hero 616, and Jinhao 51A. I learned that the Jinhao caps are *by far* a better design, from an engineering perspective. They have a metal screw that mates with metal threads in the cap finial. The Wing Sung / Hero caps have a finial screw that mates with plastic threads in the cap liner. Really easy to strip them, and to ream out the little block that's supposed to keep the cap liner from turning during assembly/disassembly. I also learned that the caps for the 601 and the 601A are slightly different. The exterior parts are the same, but they have different cap liners, which makes sense in retrospect. 

@Estycollector, I believe Parker did produce some all-steel models (with integrated nibs!), but I don't know of any P51s like that. I think this is a Wing Sung innovation. Then again, I'm no P51 expert! 

Using one for two months, very happy with design, build quality, and performance. The body is NOT a magnet for scratches/fingerprints, and the nib is just as good as that in my 1st generation 601. A keeper!

IMG_0926.JPG

Practice, patience, perseverance

That's really nice looking, @eliweisz! I didn't realize the finish was so textured, sort of brushed metal. I like it! One of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting this pen is that the cap finial looks so much better than the standard ones. I hate the cheesy plastic "jewel." One of mine has one that glows in the dark!!

I swapped the nib on my WS601 Flighter for a Bobby "bent" nib and it is now an EDC for me. In fact, I'm so impressed by it, it will make my Top 10 of 2020 video this year.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

My package from Bobby arrived today, so here are some pictures of the all metal Wing Sung 601! Trying to get the hang of the new "GALLERY" feature here; hopefully this will work:

3 hours ago, Paganini said:

My package from Bobby arrived today, so here are some pictures of the all metal Wing Sung 601! Trying to get the hang of the new "GALLERY" feature here; hopefully this will work:

Thank you for posting the photos. The metal portion gives the 601 Flighter a nice, clean, look. :)

Yes, but how slippery is that section now?

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

9 hours ago, drathbun said:

Yes, but how slippery is that section now?

Not particularly slippery. I haven't written with it for a long period, so I don't know how it would do with sweaty / oily hands, but for note taking, signing christmas cards, writing in my planner, etc., it's not much different to hold than the plastic hood. 

2 hours ago, Paganini said:

Not particularly slippery. I haven't written with it for a long period, so I don't know how it would do with sweaty / oily hands, but for note taking, signing christmas cards, writing in my planner, etc., it's not much different to hold than the plastic hood. 

Thank you! That's very helpful. I like the look but am wary of slippery, metal, tapering sections. I might have to give my WS 601 Flighter an upgrade.

- William Thackeray