The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inks For Esterbrook Dip Nibs?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:47

You're cheating by posting a 51 Demi or else a Parker 21, aren't you?  :P

Seriously, though, the three Esties I have used were all tiny ones.  :D

Ha ha, well no, that's a full size 1942 Parker 51. I have to admit until you said something I had never compared them. 

I am enjoying reading your enthusiasm. You've reminded me I need to write a letter or three soon. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Sponsored Content

#22 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 13:57

I'd like to try an oblique pen holder. I am assuming the Esterbrook nibs will work, Andrew??

Depends on the nib. Big, Falcon nibs won't work. You need something more like a small/regular straight nib. For obliques, the trick is getting the nib placed so that the tip is lined up approximately with the center line of the main holder. You don't want the tip extending too much beyond, so the long, big nibs don't work so well with obliques. But something like the 556, or even better, the A1 or 128 work a treat. 

And just to do a little promotion, the next issue of the Pennant (the interesting journal you get when you join the Pen Collectors of America) will contain a small sidebar article by your's truly about the use of the term "Oblique" from quills to fountain pens.  I also have a little bit on the origins of Oblique Pens and Penholders on my site

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#23 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 14:28

Depends on the nib. Big, Falcon nibs won't work. You need something more like a small/regular straight nib. For obliques, the trick is getting the nib placed so that the tip is lined up approximately with the center line of the main holder. You don't want the tip extending too much beyond, so the long, big nibs don't work so well with obliques. But something like the 556, or even better, the A1 or 128 work a treat. 

And just to do a little promotion, the next issue of the Pennant (the interesting journal you get when you join the Pen Collectors of America) will contain a small sidebar article by your's truly about the use of the term "Oblique" from quills to fountain pens.  I also have a little bit on the origins of Oblique Pens and Penholders on my site

Thank you. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#24 CoCoPenny

CoCoPenny

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 21:48

Perhaps a good document ink like De Atramentis

Edited by CoCoPenny, 31 May 2020 - 21:51.

#25 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 19:36

Used Noodlers Bay State Blue with great success  - and it looks good too. It was a while ago so I can't post a picture at the moment.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Sponsored Content

|