Montblanc Platinum - Real Or Not?

Darcy1978

Hello there, I am getting a very good deal on a MB 149 Platinum from what appears to be a reputable seller. But with MB Im always a little concerned that the pen is fake. What do you think?

86-1.jpg
86-2.jpg
86-3.jpg
86-4.jpg
86-5.jpg
86-6.jpg
86.jpg

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darcy1978

• CS388

• A1979

• ljmudit

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks genuine from the pictures you have shared. From what I have heard, there are no known fakes of the 149. Recreating piston mechanism is very expensive and not worth the effort for the forgers.

Thank you very much. I don't trust the seller though - claims he bought it a few weeks ago new - but is now selling it for less than half price. He is selling a bunch of writers editions though, so I am torn at the moment. Perhaps it is better to buy from a seller I do trust completely.

Thank you very much. I don't trust the seller though - claims he bought it a few weeks ago new - but is now selling it for less than half price. He is selling a bunch of writers editions though, so I am torn at the moment. Perhaps it is better to buy from a seller I do trust completely.

One reason maybe that the "depreciation" is high on the newer versions. Apart from this you may check whether the piston mechanism is working or not and/or nib is in perfect order and there is no leakage from the grip section. Anyways these can be taken care by a nibmeister for a nominal fee.

He offers pickup - only 20 km away - I think I might go for it!

Well it appears to have been sold just now. Very odd story. Perhaps I asked too many questions. The warranty certificate wasn't filled in, though he claims it was bought from a very well known shop in the Netherlands. I'd just might ask them if they regularly forget to fill out certificates.

Well it appears to have been sold just now. Very odd story. Perhaps I asked too many questions. The warranty certificate wasn't filled in, though he claims it was bought from a very well known shop in the Netherlands. I'd just might ask them if they regularly forget to fill out certificates.

Ive bought many pens from two well known shops in the NL. And yes, sometimes (not always) the certificates werent filled out.

The pen looked genuine. The warranty book not being filled in is not an issue as long as the seller can produce a copy of the sales receipt you have a valid warranty. Usually 149 service books are stamped, but sealed pens like the writers editions or similar are not.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

In this case I should have said YES I WANT IT within 10 minutes; I do think a bit of hesitation is very healthy. He didn't have a sales receipt, but juding from his other pens, he is a person without financial worry when it comes to pens. Well, we live and learn and one day we (I mean I) will be rewarded with a gorgeous 149 ;)

I think that the pen in the photographs looks genuine.

But the very low price and the lack of warranty would worry me.

I would fear that the pen might be a stolen one, or be a fake that is NOT the one shown in the photographs.

Of course, you also need to bear in mind that I am developing a nasty rash around the edge of my Tinfoil Hat.... ;)

Edit to add: if your instinct is ever that you don’t trust the seller, my advice is to walk away.

I would be far more annoyed if I were to over-ride my instinctive distrust and then find that I have bought a fake than I am when I miss-out on a ‘bargain price’ offer that I don’t trust.

But again, remember my caveat about my paranoia.

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I do think a bit of hesitation is very healthy.

Always, when buying online.

You may have got a bargain, or you may have entered a world of pain.

There'll be another one along soon enough.

A world of pain :) :) But you are right, there was another one! (not certain I am entirely happy with this one either, but will be able to sell it on for roughly the same price I think).

IMG-20200531-211602958.jpg

IMG-20200531-211629638.jpg

Edited by Darcy1978

It performs very well! I said I may not be entirely happy, and that is because of a little chip, or dent, on the piston knob. I mentioned this to the seller (and said I thought he should have mentioned this explicitly) - and he offered me a 30 euro rebate, which I thought was very reasonable. I might get this polished by Montblanc - though perhaps it will be costly. Other than that the pen is in perfect physical condition.

I also found it is an interesting pen on account of its date of manufacture. It has a two-tone 18k nib, which places it in the early 1990s. The clip band still says W-Germany, so Montblanc would still have been using the old clips after the German unification. But the idea that this is a pen referring to West Germany at a time when West Germany no longer existed makes it interesting I think. For two nights running I have been flushing it; there is some very stubborn residue of black ink inside; the water is almost clear, but not quite. So I haven't been able to fill it with ink but only dip it (and write with the old ink), and it writes very smoothly and more elegantly than any of my other pens. It seems to be a fine nib, but when you lay the pen flatter on the page the line thickens. My Visconti Homo Sapiens Palladium M is smoother, but less agile.

So first impressions: very good and going for keeps.

Edited by Darcy1978

It performs very well! I said I may not be entirely happy, and that is because of a little chip, or dent, on the piston knob. I mentioned this to the seller (and said I thought he should have mentioned this explicitly) - and he offered me a 30 euro rebate, which I thought was very reasonable. I might get this polished by Montblanc - though perhaps it will be costly. Other than that the pen is in perfect physical condition.

I also found it is an interesting pen on account of its date of manufacture. It has a two-tone 18k nib, which places it in the early 1990s. The clip band still says W-Germany, so Montblanc would still have been using the old clips after the German unification. But the idea that this is a pen referring to West Germany at a time when West Germany no longer existed makes it interesting I think. For two nights running I have been flushing it; there is some very stubborn residue of black ink inside; the water is almost clear, but not quite. So I haven't been able to fill it with ink but only dip it (and write with the old ink), and it writes very smoothly and more elegantly than any of my other pens. It seems to be a fine nib, but when you lay the pen flatter on the page the line thickens. My Visconti Homo Sapiens Palladium M is smoother, but less agile.

So first impressions: very good and going for keeps.

"but when you lay the pen flatter on the page the line thickens."

This is a characteristic of what is often called an "architect grind." It is a property often reported in Montblancs with EF nibs, so perhaps yours is a factory EF. It is a desirable property to many of us. Another characteristic of this nib shape is that when the pen is held at a normal angle, horizontal lines are wider than verticals. Is yours this way?

Excellent! Sounds like you got a good one - congratulations!

You may be able to polish out the damage on the knob yourself? Plenty of advice in the Repair Q&A forum.

I mention this, as I doubt if MB would do it. They would offer you a service, at their flat rate fee, and may swap out the knob during the service - but I don't think they do specific repairs.

Independent repair people might, if you don't fancy doing it.

Enjoy!

"but when you lay the pen flatter on the page the line thickens."

This is a characteristic of what is often called an "architect grind." It is a property often reported in Montblancs with EF nibs, so perhaps yours is a factory EF. It is a desirable property to many of us. Another characteristic of this nib shape is that when the pen is held at a normal angle, horizontal lines are wider than verticals. Is yours this way?

This is very interesting and I think it is. See below: each of the three lines is done with increasing 'flatness' agains the page; I've done some horizontal and vertical lines. The alphabet again: an increasing wider angle. An EF architect nib does not sound bad at all : )

IMG-20200602-103800822.jpg
IMG-20200602-103745230.jpg