Architects: What Pen As A Gift To An Architecture Student To Be?

kaissa

Hello,

One of my students will start her architecture bachelor's degree next year. She likes pens a lot, especially clear bodies and I have never seen her with a fountain pen.

I would like to give her a pen. I was thinking a Lamy Vista Clear before but there may be a pen that may be valuable for architects. Be it of historical value or functional value. Is there a pen that is somehow architecture related? Something that makes your job more enjoyable? My budget will be 70 USD at most.

An architect told me that a sketch pencil would be a better option. He mentioned those with 3,15-5,6 mm leads. He told me that drafting pencils are useless as almost everything is done on computer these days. Should I go for that one instead? If so is there anything I should be aware about with such a pencil?

Sincerely,

Edited by kaissa

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vicpen123

• AL01

• Astronymus

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

As an un-architect there are only two pens, to me, that say 'architect' Bauhaus influenced Lamy 2000 at twice your budget and a Montblanc with an EF (architect grind) nib at considerably more.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I don't know much about sketching pencils, but I do believe that those will be better than fountain pens. With fountain pens you can't use them with rulers or you need some specialized straight edge yada yada, it's more trouble than it's worth.

I know your architect friend said they are useless, but as an engineering student who still hand sketches extensively for rough ideas, the Pentel Graph Gear 1000 is fantastic. I have multiples of them, all 0.5mm, with different lead grade refills ready to go at all times. They are very affordable, so not exactly prestigious, but they punch well above what their price would suggest. If you want a fancy brand name maybe go with Rotring, but I would take 3 Graph Gears (with 2H, HB, and 2B lead) due to their practicality. But maybe architects have different pen priorities compared to engineers.

You can still give her a fountain pen of course, like most graduation gift pens, in which case honestly anything goes. Architect grind seems gimmicky to me because I doubt she will associate it with architects, and it is not exactly newbie friendly. Just don't expect her to use any non-erasable pens for sketching.

A pen gift for an architectural student AND an engineering student? The kids must love you, handing out quality writing instruments to graduates like that!

A Rotring 800+ is a top notch mechanical pencil with a stylus built in. The 7mm lead size is easy to find refills for and supports a steady hand. Since most of the work in the industry is digital, the stylus will come in handy when drawing on a tablet. I have a Rotring 600 and I think it's a great mechanical pencil.

I also swear by a few lead clutches that I have. The one I cherish the most is made by David Hayward. It's a 5.6mm clutch made from solid brass with a nickel finish. It's weighty and solid and will last a lifetime. It's called the Scribbler. I have others made by Kaweco, but the finish isn't as durable as the one by Hayward. It is hexagonal, so it won't roll off a desk. Mine feels like it will last a lifetime.

From my experience as an architect for over 45 years, there is no special fountain pen that is a useful tool other than to write notes. A smooth, fine nib with a semi-wet flow can be used for sketches and rough designs but since the digitals have taken over the world, the classic Rotring drafting pens are no longer needed. I have a lot that are now redundant.

Any good mechanical pencil that accommodates a 0.5 or 0.7 mm 2B lead or a clutch pencil that accommodates a 2 mm lead (with a good sharpener to maintain a point) will also be useful for sketches.

So might the 5.6 mm lead clutch holders but they require a certain skill to maintain an even line. I have used a Koh-I-noor Hardtmuth clutch holder that looks like it might last a long time.

Naw, just give them a gift certificate from one of the major suppliers like Goulet. This really is not a decision you should make for them especially since you don’t appear to be willing to pay much for the pen. Writing instruments are very personal.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

A muji aluminum pen fits the rotring feel of architecture tools.

Parker 180 does too

To me, slim and metal are just the name of the game.

Though a lamy 2000 does really fit the bill as well, IMO.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

As a technical draftsman in engineering I would consider a Lamy multipen including a 0,5 or 0,7 lead and one or two ballpoint colors a nice gift. It's not a fountain pen but it is usefull for sketches and comments or corrections in drafts and documents.

Edited by Astron

I think a Lamy Vista would be fine; I'm on my way to becoming an architecture student, and if your student doesn't use fountain pens, I think it would make for a very nice introductory fountain pen.

If not, you have your Rotring 600s and whatnot, but my favorite pencil is the Pentel Sharp Kerry. Those things have been made since the '70s or '80s, and the particular one I own is from '81, and it works like new. The nice things about these pencils are that the plastic on them is tough, the design has been virtually unchanged, (like the Lamy 2000), and the mechanism is metal, so it doesn't really wear out.

I hope that helps, (somewhat)...

Staedtler do a concrete ("brutalist") ballpoint.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

As a technical draftsman in engineering I would consider a Lamy multipen including a 0,5 or 0,7 lead and one or two ballpoint colors a nice gift. It's not a fountain pen but it is usefull for sketches and comments or corrections in drafts and documents.

Agree. There is also a Rotring Quattro that has provision for three ballpoint colours plus a pencil function. Good for making different coloured notes on documents but the pencil is no good for drafting. If wanted one of the ballpoints can be replaced with a pointer for touch screens.