You Have Three Minutes To Get Out

inkypete

OK - you have three minutes to get out of your house. What are the three things you would grab from your desk?

RULES - nothing living, nothing electronic.

I would grab my A5 Gfeller leather cover, my Lamy Al Star fine FP (fave everyday writer) and my Waterfield waxed canvas satchel.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• inkstainedruth

• Estycollector

• ScarletWoodland

My Lamy 2k, Pelikan m215 and Endless Recorder notebook. Alas none of my inks live there.

My Lamy 2k, Pelikan m215 and Endless Recorder notebook. Alas none of my inks live there.

I'm banking on being able to buy ink on the outside still.

1. The 2019 tax returns which are still waiting to be signed.

2. A pen cabinet that has 2/3 of the collection.

3. A mask because I can not be out in public without one!

1. The 2019 tax returns which are still waiting to be signed.

2. A pen cabinet that has 2/3 of the collection.

3. A mask because I can not be out in public without one!

Hahah LOL! Was sooo not expecting your #1 response! Thank you for that laugh! We could use some of that in this day of crazy! Edited by Kasyll

The three sets of smallish drawers that now hold my entire collection. I think I could stagger outside with them in three minutes, barely.

Well, having had this experience, it is not what you think.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Well, having had this experience, it is not what you think.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you understand my thread was not meant to upset anyone but just a look at your favourite things. I'm sure in reality my desk would not get a look in.

Hmm. I'd say, checkbook, purse, passport, and whatever pen cases I could grab in that amount of time. Oh, and my autographed copy of The Last Unicorn from when Peter Beagle was Filk GoH at a local science fiction convention a few years ago. I'd be really unhappy to lose that since I've had the book since I was 9, but it was only autographed a few years ago. I'd be unhappy to lose some of the Oz books, especially the first one my mom wrote, because I think she signed my copy at one point as well.

And my ;ink wool felt fedora, as I was running out the door, even though it's suddenly become "not wool felt fedora weather.

I'd be bummed about some of the SCA award scrolls, but I doubt I'd have time to grab those. Ditto for my spinning wheel.

Gosh. This is tough. There's a whole bunch of record albums I'd hate to lose, too, even though some of them are now on CD.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My folks were in a forest fire evacuation area and were given a similar order. Fortunately, with forest fires you normally get some heads up before the order is given, so they loaded their cars before the three minute warning was issued. Even more fortunately, the fire changed direction and their home was spared.

What I would grab would depend on the cause for leaving. If there is a world altering apocalypse I would probably grab food and 72 hour kits (we have five young kids, each with emergency kits). If the world is okay and my home is the only thing at risk I would grab more sentimental or valuable items. My pen chest normally lives at my office, but it came home for the quarantine, and while it is here I would probably grab that. And this sounds vain, but I would probably grab shoes and clothes since these are hard (and expense) to find in my size.

Come on guys - stick to the rules. This is not about reality - its about your three favourite FPN things. Ruth, counting is not your strength. :lol: Three things from your desk!

Sorry to hear that. I hope you understand my thread was not meant to upset anyone but just a look at your favourite things. I'm sure in reality my desk would not get a look in.

Oh, that was a long time ago, 2001. I just meant that the things on the desk wouldn't be of consideration. However, to play along, all my pens are in an antique coffee cup which would be easy to take. Plus, that would only count as one item....LOL!!.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

My keys, my glasses and my wallet, as the only reason I would only have three minutes to get out of my house is if I was running late and needed to get somewhere, or there was a true emergency and I was on my way to Hospital.

I am an extremely careful person, choosing not to take many risks, especially the kind which would require relocation.

I understand he idea of chosing to live in a setting where one might need to evacuate. I don't understand the idea of owning anything of significant value that could not be easily and quickly taken with oneself, other than possibly a good stove, refrigerator and television, if I did chose to live in a place subject to flood, fire, earthquake, etc. that has a high frequency of occurance and is very destructive.

But perhaps someday when I am truely old I will sell or give away most of those items of value I have and live in one of those places and if so, then my three things would be my last three Fountain Pens I would keep: a Waterman 100 year pen that my wife gave me on my birthday when she was expecting our daughter, a Parker Vacumatic which was my grandfather's and Pelkan Niagara Falls limited edition that my wife gave me as a surprise present one holiday, when I truely wasn't expecting it.

Come on guys - stick to the rules. This is not about reality - its about your three favourite FPN things. Ruth, counting is not your strength. :lol: Three things from your desk!

:blush: Skim read the original post. Missed the 3 item limit part....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Only my journal is irreplaceable, so that first. Then my VDS pen case with Sailor 1911 in it (would I have to jettison the other pens???).

My PilotCapless Yellow fine clipped into my homemade traveler pocket size notebook with pocket size Pebble Stationary Tomoe River paper notebook insert. That is one. Next my Pacsafe Vibe 200. Last, my Coldsteel Recon 1 spearpoint folding knife, with S35VN steel. On the way out I grab my Sailor bottle with mix 50/50 of Sailor Jentle blue and Sailor Jentle black.

Sorry, but you've already excluded both of my desks from consideration. One has a (slowly failing) Win7 laptop, two Kenwood HF/6m transceivers each with a power supply, and a smaller power supply feeding the auto-tuner and SWR meter. The other desk is my computer, monitor, land-line phone, and scattered development systems (Raspberry-Pi, Beaglebone Black, Arduino Uno, Adafruit Metro M4).

Given an emergency evac... I'm more likely to grab the three pistols (and holsters) from the nightstand, holster belt from closet, and maybe then load up the 6 pen storage cases from the adjacent bookshelf. Three minutes is not enough time to grab any of the rifles and ammo boxes.

I've got a couple of filofaxes and a desk tidy stuffed full of notebooks on there, so those.

(ETA)

Though if it wasn't for the no electronics condition, I might have gone for the EHDD and pouch stuffed full of usb sticks instead...

Edited by dogpoet