Dating A Vintage Pelikan?

Pingu

I was tidying an old box and came across a vintage Pelikan pen that was given to me years ago. It was a bit grubby so I gave it a clean and it looks quite nice now.

The cap is brown, although Im not sure if it might have been originally black which has faded or altered to brown due to age, as the pen is definitely black. It says PeliKan PATENT (repeated) circumferentially around the top of the cap. There are 2 pinholes, one either side of the cap. The finial logo is etched in faded green. The clip is not the modern pelican bird-face - just a plain clip, but curvy. I gave the nib a quick polish and it has come up nice and shiny, it reads Pelikan 14 KARAT, with a star-like symbol underneath.

I am guessing its quite old, because of the Patent inscription? Thanks in advance to any vintage experts here 🙂

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pingu

• mana

• carlos.q

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for signposting, Ill take a look 🙂

Edit: great resource, full of interesting tidbits. Looks like it is the 100 Black. Cheers!

Edited by Pingu

After washing the cap clean, it feels like rubber(?) not plastic. I think that might explain why it has changed to a brownish hue, compared to the rest of the pen which is definitely black.

It is made of ebonite/black hard rubber that ages to a drab olive green/brown colour (this happens also a lot faster if ebonite parts are immersed in water).

The number of ebonite parts in a Pelikan 100 varied a bit during its history but cap tops and cap cylinders/barrels and the filling mechanism were often made of it.

But yeah, what a nice find... Btw. the piston seal in those is made of cork so if it has been sitting unused for a longer while (years) or if it was an unrestored pen to begin it most likely needs to be replaced.

Also, if you can, do post a pics of the nib and the pen too. I love the imprints in those nibs. :)

Also, if you want to restore the colour back to black then Mark Hoover of lbepen.com has a solution for that.

Thanks for your expert knowledge Mana! 🙂

I quite like the brownish discoloration... or call it patina ☺ Ill post pictures later in the morning.

The nib feed has vertical fins not horizontal, which is quite interesting to me at least. Looking at Dominics site, it looks like an early one as the 14 Karat doesnt have spots or dashes and there is no 585.

I never used to be interested in vintage pens, hence why I just put this pen away years ago when I was given it, I thought it was just a grubby old pen. Obviously I was just an ignoramus. I now have a new appreciation. 😎

That is cool! :) Yeah, the patina > I like that color too and I love vintage Pelikans, they great pens and daily writers with awesome nibs. I should get a 100 at some point, have had a few fly my way but unfortunately they were beyond repair.

the vertical fins feed tells you it's an ebonite feed, and therefore confirms it's a vintage nib, pictures would help though

Hey thanks for all your comments 🙂

Anyways here you go... Ive taken the best non-macro pics I can with the phone camera.

As you can see the cap has turned a nice brown hue, it has certain depth to it. There a breathing hole on either side. The nib has a star (or sun?) symbol underneath 14 Karat, whatever that means.

6A49C7EE-77FB-4A7B-8560-41FDA574DEFD.jpeg

99F7F6C9-8961-42E2-82FA-0C999FCC9F30.jpeg

9E0CEFEF-C370-4CA6-96AB-0718A472455B.jpeg

I don’t know what grade of nib it is, it doesn’t say on the nib anywhere, and I checked the fins too. I guess that’s an excuse to try it out!

Wow. You were *given* a vintage Pelikan 100? I'm totally jealous.

I went to a talk at a pen show a while back on collecting vintage Pelikans that Rick Propas and Janet Wright gave. BIG mistake on my part. :wallbash: Because now I want one (especially the blue) and 100s are NOT in the budget any time remotely soon....

Congratulations on finding it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow. You were *given* a vintage Pelikan 100? I'm totally jealous.

I went to a talk at a pen show a while back on collecting vintage Pelikans that Rick Propas and Janet Wright gave. BIG mistake on my part. :wallbash: Because now I want one (especially the blue) and 100s are NOT in the budget any time remotely soon....

Congratulations on finding it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks Ruth - yes I was given it along with another pen. I must admit I wasn’t particularly impressed and hid it out of sight for years because I thought it was an old grubby pen with a faded cap, and forgot about it. I was (am) an ignoramus, despite being on this forum for 15 years. Strangely I am starting to appreciate vintage pens more, rather than the latest modern blingy pen. Is it a sign of getting old(er)?

I don’t know what grade of nib it is, it doesn’t say on the nib anywhere, and I checked the fins too. I guess that’s an excuse to try it out!

It looks seated quite deep, probably the grade is marked below the star (see mana's picture).

Don't tinker with it unless you know what you're doing, the collar in these vintage Pelikan nibs are sometimes fragile.

Just by looking at your photos I's say it's probably an F or M, certainly not wider, as B and wider nibs on vintage Pelikans were rather stubbish and had a rather flat tip looking at it from the bottom.

Thanks sansenri 🙂 You are absolutely right - on dip testing the nib it definitely writes Fine.

Im scared to fill it up though as advised re caution in case its corked.

Edited to add:

I was wrong! You are absolutely right! On peering under the collar, I can see M beneath the star, exactly the same as the one in manas picture. Im confused because it writes like a Fine to me. Or like a Japanese Medium. Do vintage nibs tend to be finer? Or maybe a previous owner had it grind?

Edited by Pingu

Inspired by this pen, I have the M101N on order - it wouldnt have interested me if it were not for this pen. (yes I still love modern blingy pens!) ☺

I cant wait to compare and contrast.