The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 221 Nib Holder Crack Repair

montblanc repair crack

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:54

I would like to help a friend repair her Montblanc 221, black. It has a hairline crack on the plastic nib holder of the hooded nib. I dont have photo yet but the problem described to me seems a common problem of this model. My question is: must I use MEK, or is Loctite 480 sufficient? I havent been able to buy MEK where I am, but I found Loctite 480 online in Switzerland. I plan to leave the pen for 2 weeks after the glue gets into the crack. Not too optimistic about repairing cracks, but I must try at least. Otherwise her pen is a leaky unusable pen. The leak might not just come from the crack, but that would be the first suspicion. I much appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Content

#2 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 16:54

I have the same problem with a 32 and have been advised repeatedly to buy the part and replace it. The part for the 221 should be about 20 Swiss Francs.

Edited by Parker51, 23 May 2020 - 16:56.

#3 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 17:33

Thank you. Unfortunately I haven‘t found the part for the price that you mentioned on ebay yet. That would be ideal to just replace it.

I have the same problem with a 32 and have been advised repeatedly to buy the part and replace it. The part for the 221 should be about 20 Swiss Francs.

#4 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 21:17

I think replacement is the way forward - assuming you can find a part, of course.

The crack in this area is subject to high stress, during use and I'm not sure how well a repair will hold?

I had a similar problem (crack by the nib)  on a 34 and I never managed a successful repair.

However, I should add that I'm not a professional repair person - maybe one will chime in with a more promising answer.

Good luck.

#5 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:47

CS388: Thank you very much for your suggestion and for sharing your experience. I suspect the same. I have not been able to find the same part in black, though there are some in green and burgundy. Also it seems that model 321 hood can fit in model 221, though aesthetically the front part looks slightly different. I think my first effort is to try and find a replacement hood. Hopefully 321 will fit without issue.

#6 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 13:04

I sent my 221 to Montblanc for repair and was told that they didn't have parts to repair it. It is a great pen, and the nib is fantastic. I may just commission someone to make a pen around the nib just to enjoy it again.

#7 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 14:57

You can buy a used 221 for less than $200, a lot cheaper than commissioning to have a pen made. It’s true MB doesn’t repair this model any more. My friend sent the pen through her retailer and pen was returned from MB with a note with the same reason you mentioned.

I sent my 221 to Montblanc for repair and was told that they didn't have parts to repair it. It is a great pen, and the nib is fantastic. I may just commission someone to make a pen around the nib just to enjoy it again.

#8 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:58

I might just do that. Thanks!

#9 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:51

I fixed the pen after sourcing a replacement hood. All worked well again.

#10 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,207 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 14:32

Nice!

#11 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 22:15

Thank you, CS388. I accomplished something and made my friend happy, and I even got a thank-you present because of course I wasn't going to charge my friend anything for the work. Happy happy!  :D

Nice!

#12 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,207 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 22:26

Thank you, CS388. I accomplished something and made my friend happy, and I even got a thank-you present because of course I wasn't going to charge my friend anything for the work. Happy happy!  :D

Great stuff!

I've been in that position, myself - brought a friend's pen back to life.

The joy they get from seeing their old pen working, again is a reward in itself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, repair, crack

Sponsored Content

|