Montblanc 221 Nib Holder Crack Repair

como

I would like to help a friend repair her Montblanc 221, black. It has a hairline crack on the plastic nib holder of the hooded nib. I dont have photo yet but the problem described to me seems a common problem of this model. My question is: must I use MEK, or is Loctite 480 sufficient? I havent been able to buy MEK where I am, but I found Loctite 480 online in Switzerland. I plan to leave the pen for 2 weeks after the glue gets into the crack. Not too optimistic about repairing cracks, but I must try at least. Otherwise her pen is a leaky unusable pen. The leak might not just come from the crack, but that would be the first suspicion. I much appreciate any suggestions.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• CS388

• basterma

• Parker51

I have the same problem with a 32 and have been advised repeatedly to buy the part and replace it. The part for the 221 should be about 20 Swiss Francs.

Edited by Parker51

Thank you. Unfortunately I haven‘t found the part for the price that you mentioned on ebay yet. That would be ideal to just replace it.

I have the same problem with a 32 and have been advised repeatedly to buy the part and replace it. The part for the 221 should be about 20 Swiss Francs.

I think replacement is the way forward - assuming you can find a part, of course.

The crack in this area is subject to high stress, during use and I'm not sure how well a repair will hold?

I had a similar problem (crack by the nib) on a 34 and I never managed a successful repair.

However, I should add that I'm not a professional repair person - maybe one will chime in with a more promising answer.

Good luck.

CS388: Thank you very much for your suggestion and for sharing your experience. I suspect the same. I have not been able to find the same part in black, though there are some in green and burgundy. Also it seems that model 321 hood can fit in model 221, though aesthetically the front part looks slightly different. I think my first effort is to try and find a replacement hood. Hopefully 321 will fit without issue.

I sent my 221 to Montblanc for repair and was told that they didn't have parts to repair it. It is a great pen, and the nib is fantastic. I may just commission someone to make a pen around the nib just to enjoy it again.

You can buy a used 221 for less than $200, a lot cheaper than commissioning to have a pen made. It’s true MB doesn’t repair this model any more. My friend sent the pen through her retailer and pen was returned from MB with a note with the same reason you mentioned.

I sent my 221 to Montblanc for repair and was told that they didn't have parts to repair it. It is a great pen, and the nib is fantastic. I may just commission someone to make a pen around the nib just to enjoy it again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you, CS388. I accomplished something and made my friend happy, and I even got a thank-you present because of course I wasn't going to charge my friend anything for the work. Happy happy! :D

Nice!

Thank you, CS388. I accomplished something and made my friend happy, and I even got a thank-you present because of course I wasn't going to charge my friend anything for the work. Happy happy! :D

Great stuff!

I've been in that position, myself - brought a friend's pen back to life.

The joy they get from seeing their old pen working, again is a reward in itself.