Pilot 743 Feed Color

pensmarht

My initial thought was to buy the 743 or the 823 with the fa nib from Japan, but due to the pandemic, the shipping costs skyrocketed and I was forced to cancel my order. I found a seller on Amazon and wanted to get the forum's thoughts on whether the pen looks valid or not.

The box arrived a little banged up, though the contents are intact. I have a cartridge, user guide, and warranty cards. However, in looking over the pen, I noticed that the feed is grey in color. Is this particular to the FA nib? I've looked online and feeds in the 743 appear to be black in color but I can't tell if the feed is different by nib (WA, PO, F, M, etc.).

I can't tell if this nib is discolored (indicating prior use), fake, or true to form. Any help on establishing the validity (I've enclosed pics of the nib, pen, and accessories) of the purchase would be much appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pensmarht

• Christopher Godfrey

• Daosus

• Honeybadgers

pensmarht, I cannot remember whether mine (743) was black (I think so) or grey, like yours; but I wouldn't bother about it, if I were you: your very best plan, in any case, is to go to the Flexible Nib Factory website and order yourself an ebonite feed from Joey Grasty. They are inexpensive and you might even like a feed, should your heart so desire! (They cost a few dollars more than black) The replacement will arrive fast, I can assure you (having bought a couple of items from him) and the job of installation will take you all of about a minute and a half! (It is not necessary to replace the tiny collar that comes with your original feed -- I did not put mine back in and JG assured me that he designed it that way. Mine has never leaked without it)

This replacement feed will allow your new pen to perform properly -- the original feed cannot keep up with flex demands, whereas this replacement one is wonderful! The two-groove version is perfectly adequate, you will find -- unless you are someone who draws a lot with your pen? Only in that case might the three-groove version be more beneficial...

I hope this is some interest and help to you? Good luck! Let us know how you do...

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

Thanks for answering, Chris. I've got the FNF feed ready to go. I bought it after reading it about on here (I don't remember from who). I'm just trying to figure out if the pen is legitimate/original or a knock-off before putting it in. I have a 823 on order but it's tough to wait for a few months while the 743 (with the same nib) is already here. Can you give me your opinion on the pen (based on the pics)? If it looks good, I'll just take it as it is and add the FNF feed. thanks

That looks exactly like mine did when new. I have an FA nib as well so can't say if it's unique to that, but I have never heard that the FA came with its own special feed.

pensmarht, I really cannot remember what my original looked like (the feed, for 743 FA -- and, oddly, I cannot lay my fingers on it right now!); but as Daosus and XYZZY both wrote, I think there is no reason to be suspicious of your pen. Once you have installed the new ebonite feed, you will likely as not this pen. I love mine -- and before I put the new feed in, I was ready to give up on it and sell the blasted thing...that tell you anything? (This from someone who loves vintage Pelikan flexy nibs!)

The pen is legit. Pilot feeds tend to be blue-grayish.

I have honestly never heard of a pilot being counterfeited. the 78g sorta has a weird licensing issue with the chinese factory, but that's a steel nib thing. the FA nib would be a dead giveaway if it was a cheap knockoff of steel. A flex nib that won't flex properly would be obviously fake.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've decided to keep the pen. I installed the FNF feed and it kept up well with the writing. I wrote about 4 pages on Rhodia Premium. On a side note, it was my first time trying out the Rhodia Premium paper and it's actually less smooth than my regular Rhodia. The 743 is a smooth writer, but the flex wasn't as great as the one from fpnibs or my Mottishaw grind so I've decided to send it off to have a bit more flex added from gena at custom nib studio. Once I get it back, I'll post the changes. Thanks to all who replied. It was your input that convinced me to add this pen to my growing arsenal.