The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Efnir: Kyo-No-Oto Aonibi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:01

@ yazeh -- I picked up a bottle of Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham a few years ago on a trip to Toronto for a conference (fighting Friday night rush hour all the way from Hamilton, after getting stuck in construction on the US side of the Peace Bridge  :wacko:) and then fighting my way BACK through OUTBOUND Friday night rush hour traffic to get to the airport (the conference was at a hotel at the airport, since people were coming in from all over).  Interesting color, but the ink is fairly dry.

OTOH, I would definitely do it again just for another chance to go to Wonder Pens (once I actually FOUND it, that is) and of course when I was coming back across the border on Sunday and got to US Customs I was able to declare "I bought a bottle of ink...."  B) 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I should dig that bottle of BUTPoA out again at some point.... 

Thanks Ruth. 

I love wonder pens. Ive never been three but buy from the often. 

It's funny you say, it's dry and I heard from other sources that it's wet or very wet, and paradoxically some say it has the constancy of tar (It reminds me of Kung Te-Cheng)

My experience with Noodler's is that inks that shade/ partially bullet proof, take a long time to dry on good paper (Black Swan/ Golden Brown /Kiowa Pecan). 

And I don't like that....

Sponsored Content

#22 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:21

I did another comparison of Aonibi with 54th on Tomoe River....

Interestingly 54 did a little sheen number, which is not obvious in the scan, obviously :)

Attached Images

• Aonibi -54th.jpeg

Edited by yazeh, 25 May 2020 - 10:21.

#23 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 16:11

I did another comparison of Aonibi with 54th on Tomoe River....

Interestingly 54 did a little sheen number, which is not obvious in the scan, obviously :)

Nice!  This one makes the inks look a lot more similar.  But I'm strong!  I will resist.  Resist, I say! ;)

#24 GreenMountain

GreenMountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 16:27

Thanks much for the review.  Still being on the trail of blue-black, I am interested.  It looks to me like Kyo No Oto Aonibi DOES have  hint of green, which I would like to avoid.

For example to my eye Shin-Kai has green in it.  So, does anyone have either Shin-Kai or Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to compare this to?  4001 is just about perfect (except it doesn't have the Sailor smoothness).

#25 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 16:42

Thanks much for the review.  Still being on the trail of blue-black, I am interested.  It looks to me like Kyo No Oto Aonibi DOES have  hint of green, which I would like to avoid.

For example to my eye Shin-Kai has green in it.  So, does anyone have either Shin-Kai or Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to compare this to?  4001 is just about perfect (except it doesn't have the Sailor smoothness).

You're welcome!  To me, this doesn't seem to have green in it (and I usually see green where others don't - which isn't to say your eyes don't see even more green than mine).  I don't want to ink up either of these again, but here's the swab from the stickers I put on top of my sample vials:

ShinKaiAonibi.jpg

Shin Kai is on the left, Aonibi on the right.  And comparatively, Shin Kai is more toward purple and Aonibi is more toward green.

#26 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 18:04

KyoNoOtoAonibiZ.jpg

Very nice and subtle.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

Edited by Inked, 25 May 2020 - 18:04.

#27 nibtip

nibtip

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 18:28

IMG-1029.jpg

IMG-1030.jpg
IMG-1031.jpg
IMG-1032.jpg
IMG-1033.jpg
IMG-1034.jpg

#28 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 18:41

Very nice and subtle.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

You're welcome!

[Pelikan v Aonibi pics]

Thanks for the added reference, nibtip! :)

#29 nibtip

nibtip

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 18:45

Two amongst my favorite inks. And with the right pen don't feel  dry at all.

Blau Schwarz has good water resistance, Aonibi has none.

#30 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 19:13

Nice!  This one makes the inks look a lot more similar.  But I'm strong!  I will resist.  Resist, I say! ;)

Don't worry. It only shades on Tomoe River. :)

And my guess is that it'll turn your EF into a Fne/Medium  with no shading on other papers.....:)

#31 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 19:43

Don't worry. It only shades on Tomoe River. :)

And my guess is that it'll turn your EF into a Fne/Medium  with no shading on other papers..... :)

:thumbup:   Thank you!

#32 GreenMountain

GreenMountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 21:31

IMG-1029.jpg

IMG-1030.jpg
IMG-1031.jpg
IMG-1032.jpg
IMG-1033.jpg
IMG-1034.jpg

Wow...in comparison, Blau Schwarz looks purple and Aonibi blue.  Whereas on the caps Aonibi does look more teal.   Thanks to LizEF and Nibtip for the info.  Now I'm torn!

I'll have to think of a really unpleasant job that when completed will merit the purchase of yet another Blue-Black!  How about sorting out a chicken coop full of stored papers?  (Racoon got the chickens many years ago so it turned into yet a storage shed.)

#33 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 21:44

Wow...in comparison, Blau Schwarz looks purple and Aonibi blue.  Whereas on the caps Aonibi does look more teal.   Thanks to LizEF and Nibtip for the info.  Now I'm torn!

Samples are your friends. :lol:

Sponsored Content

|