The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Broad Nib List? Broader The Better!

17 replies to this topic

#1 cougarking

cougarking

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:18

Just wonder if any one had done a broad nib comparison chat/ List.

I have a couple of pens, waterman carene, Parker sonet, MB jonathan Swift. and Lamy Safari.

I really enjoy the 1.9m nib in the Safari, like big bold  writing! and just wonder what comparative options would be available.

Happy to consider different model and makes.

Many thanks for your times

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:04

Pilot Parallel pens. They come with 1.5mm, 2.4mm, 3.8mm and 6.0mm nibs. Fit them with either Pilot ink cartridges, or the (proprietary) CON-40 or the (discontinued) CON-50 converter, and they're bona fide fountain pens.

I have two packs of five(?) Chinese-made pens — obvious rip-offs of the Lamy Vista's design — with broad-edged nibs of different widths: 1.1, 1.5, 1.9, 2.5 and 2.9. They were "cheap as chips" at less than US$2 for each pen. I haven't inked any of them up yet; they just sounded good at the time.

The 18K gold Stub nib on my Aurora 88 Minerali puts down a 1mm line at its widest, and that's already way too wide for me.

You could try a three-tined Platinum or Pilot Music nib, I guess. I had one on a Pilot Custom 74 and I hated it; it's one of the few pens from my collection that I ever sold — too costly to just chuck out with the garbage, and too annoying to ever contemplate using again.

Or search for "poster nibs", it's all about the nib, irrespective of the mechanism by which ink is carried in the pen and supplied to the nib.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 21 May 2020 - 10:26.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#3 avlisyar

avlisyar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:40

The Franklin Christoph 1.9 Music Nib is broad and wet! Love it!

#4 Croma

Croma

quartz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:10

Hello:

A BB nib from Montblanc 149 Limited edition 75th Anniversary.

fpn_1590062921__estado_superficial_dscn8

fpn_1590062970__punto_dscn5379.jpg

fpn_1590062998__dsc_0028_redimensionado.

Regards.

#5 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 15:10

Waterman super six OBB (same nib as in the Le Man serie, only in 14k instead of 18k here). 

http://www.fountainp...-7#entry3903378

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#6 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 20:39

About ten years ago, I got a Parker 51 very large Broad from Parker51.com. When Tom "Old Griz" Mullane saw it, he said, "That's a HONKING broad nib". It might have been a double-broad. I found it too wide to use, and sold it on. 

I have found several "wider than medium" Parker 51 nibs on pens from the UK. Concluded that Parker Newhaven must have made their nibs a bit wider than Parker Janesville. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#7 cgreenberg19

cgreenberg19

Pen-Obsessor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 21:26

If you're willing to wait a bit, or go to a pen show Regalia has some neat stuff. I have one of their 9th Symphony nibs which is three Franklin Christoph music nibs stacked on top of each other and they it is the smoothest nib that I have ever used. Monty Winnfield is also making specialty and stacked nibs now and they have them in stock on their website. For a bigger brand, the Pelikan M800 comes in both an italic broad and a double broad.

Edited by cgreenberg19, 21 May 2020 - 21:29.

#8 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:02

The big problem with any nib, bigger than bold, is the price of the pens associated with them.

The exception being the Lamy calligraphy nibs and the Pilot Parallel pens, however those wide nibs are also sharp but cheap enough that they could be rounded, if one has the right equipment to grind nibs. 

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#9 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:37

The exception being the Lamy calligraphy nibs and the Pilot Parallel pens, however those wide nibs are also sharp but cheap enough that they could be rounded, if one has the right equipment to grind nibs. 

But why do they have to be rounded, if the user just likes putting down bold lines of ink on paper, and (nothing personal, but just as an example I came across recently, our own @amberleadavis) likes crisp edges on those lines of ink? Bold doesn't imply quick, and expressive doesn't imply carefree (or careless). I find I have to write more slowly and carefully with a wide nib, when I choose to use one for headings or special effects, to make the outcomes match my purposes.

In any case, I think I've already mentioned there are Chinese fountain pens for about US$2 a piece delivered that come with a variety of broad-edged nibs. For those prices, I think it's worthwhile for one to adapt to them and modify/refine one's technique in calligraphic writing to get the best outcomes on paper.

Edit: grammar

Edited by A Smug Dill, 23 May 2020 - 05:00.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#10 Sashku

Sashku

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:46

I second the Franklin-Christoph Music nib! :)

#11 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:16

I bought  a modern sonnet with a broad 18k nib. I would guess it is really a BB or BBB. Only a couple of hundred aussie dollars.

#12 cougarking

cougarking

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 18:37

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a list with the nib widths available from manufactures?

Cheers

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 19:03

Lamyhttps://www.lamy.com...lamy-nib-guide/
Parker — https://www.parkerpe...ib-exchange-pgm
Pilot — https://www.pilot.co.../pentopList.php
Platinum — https://www.platinum...00519_img-1.png; also http://www.fountainp...s/#entry4243150
Sailor — https://sailorpen.co.uk/the-nibs/

Aurora — Aurora's official web site seems to be having server problems right now, so I suggest you look at, say, the list of nib options Nibsmith offers for the Aurora 88 Himalayan Blue.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 31 May 2020 - 19:18.

#14 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:34

Check the tipping width chart on nibs.com

#15 josepllcs

josepllcs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:01

Hi,

I have a Pelikan 800 with an IB nib that writes very, very broad (supposed to be 1.5mm). These nibs can be bought on internet, and are easily interchangeable if you have a Pelikan 800.

Another option is to check Greg Minuskin web page. He customizes nibs, and creates the so-called monster nibs. I do have one mounted on a Parker 51.

Edited by josepllcs, 04 June 2020 - 05:03.

#16 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:49

I have a Parker Vacumatic Emerald Pearl that when I bought it had a problematic F if I recall correctly. I purchased a nib represented as a OM by the vendor. (Five Star Pens) Well if it is, it is the widest OM I have ever seen. It is physically wider than the OB on a Pelikan M200 I have, and as wide or wider than a couple of 1.1 italic nibs I have. (Lamy, TWSBI Eco) I have begun to think it might be a OBB.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#17 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:50

Platinum 3776 Music Nib. Lamy 2000 BB. Both lovely. 

#18 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 15:34

I have some wide nibs. I find my 1.5 Lamy Joy nib to be wide enough to easily see my mistakes when doing caligraphy. I would find a 1.9 to be way too big...see below.****

I have a Pelikan 500 with a guestamate OBBB....in the '51-54 nibs were not marked and the rolled gold piston cap would not be engraved with a width because it would look crappy.

It's a pure signature pen. A legal name takes up 2/3rds to 3/4ths a page.

*****My Manuscript (a cheap pen) BBBB is for heading only. I probably have only written six words with it.........way too big to use. Headers only was my guess to it's use.

I find BB and OBB to be wide enough....but I have them in semi-flex so can get the nib to write a bit wider by pressing harder.....ie Demanding Line Variation.

I have 4 OBB's. Two are vintage and semi-flex. Two are regular flex; the old W.Germany Pelikan 600 (same size as the 400) and same width of the vintage nib.

The post '97 1005 is like all the post '97 nibs but the 200 is a fatter blobbier nib. It is a half a width wider than the 600 because it's made to write like a ball point by those who don't know how to write with a fountain pen.

In German stubbed semi-flex if your Hand is light enough you don't max the nib all the time, you can get line variation On Demand. Your nib will go from 1 X to the 3 X max....where you want it to be.

So the important parts of the word can be made even wider if you wish.

I tend to only max my semi-flex out to 3 X on fancy decenders at the end of a paragraph.

I'd look more in vintage German stubbed semi-flex OBB or BB than in modern for some nice flair in your writing, with out doing anything.

Semi-flex is to add flair to your writing, it is not a calligraphy nib. Some folks really, really over stress their semi-flex nibs thinking it is a calligraphy nib.

A wide nail nib will not give you line variation with out it being made a stubb or CI.

Do look at a Lamy 1.5 or even a 1.2 nib to see if they 'write' better than your giant 1.9 nib.They only cost @ $7.00 to check them out. And it is not difficult to change a Lamy nib, from my reading on it. I don't fiddle with Lamy in they make nail nibs, and I gave two, a Safari (B) and a CPM-1 (M) away to hook someone on fountain pens. 

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|