The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today? 2020

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 MBDostoevsky

MBDostoevsky

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:31

this piston pump vacumetic filling is currently the easiest and most user friendly filling mechanism that any fountain pen new offered on the market , you basically just stick the pen into the ink bottle ( one handed ) and just pump the button a few times and then that's it ; it just work and work each and every time .. I've had no issue with them. Jut FYI , the following is my 601A ( Triumph nib ) with a solid no window barrel , both windowed and solid version exist for all colour choices ( except for the all Transparent and the Transparent Blue which clearly had no need for a window anyway )

Wing Sung 601A Battleship Grey, on Flickr

Thanks... pump does require a bladder doesn't it for the ink? its just like the 51 vacumatic filling system... 

Sponsored Content

#42 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:52

Delike Times with rosewood(?) finish. Obviously 'inspired' by the Faber-Castell Ondoro, but a cheap 'clone' at that, it was sub-optimal in more ways than one out-of-the-box. I fixed the most egregious issues (amateurishly), and it writes well enough, but I just haven't been using it much.

But then, I started doing this thing over here, and wanted to grab the one pen I remember was last filled with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan ink. It hard-started for a little bit, and then it wrote... sorta. Enough to do several test 'slides', and a couple of throwaway paragraphs on Rhodia paper when I was trying to establish whether it still worked or not.

I decided to refill the pen last night, with the same ink as before. On removing the converter from the section, I could see it was down to the last half a drop of ink; more than three-quarters of the converter's worth of liquid has evaporated since the last fill. Then I went to update my inking log book, and saw...

... that the pen was last inked mid-July in 2019, more than thirteen whole months ago; and, as I said, it still wrote and not just a few words. I was absolutely astounded by that.

So it gets to go out with me outside today, displacing other pens I could carry for the day.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#43 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• 4,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:06

A " LBT Long Tail Fountain Pen" a $5 copy of the Lamy Joy with a choice of nib sizes, I chose a 1.1 stub.  Nicely made.

----------------

Knowledge is the only wealth that increases when shared.

#44 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:52

Thanks... pump does require a bladder doesn't it for the ink? its just like the 51 vacumatic filling system... 

All that the pump do is to expel air out of the breather tube and create negative pressure when releasing the button ; Parker's original use a bladder but the 601 simply use a rubber piston with a tight fit barrel to do that ( similar to piston filler's ) and of course this type of setup far more serviceble and prove more robust than bladder. And it's kind of interesting to know even this replacing the bladder with a piston is nothing new. It was first used late 1950's by Beijing Jinxing ( Golden Star ) on some of their top end models

Edited by Mech-for-i, 25 August 2020 - 07:53.

#45 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:58

fpn_1598310420__jinhao_100_centenniale.j

Jinhao 100 Centennial (Deep Orange & Koi) - M. nib

No way , Clotted Cream Fudge I want one though I am sure my doctor will kill me for that

Edited by Mech-for-i, 25 August 2020 - 07:59.

#46 Antenociticus

Antenociticus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 23:38

Delike New Moon, one of the "new" ones – fourth iteration, I think. I love the mostly green resin but I didn't get on that well with the original EF nib. Have now replaced that with a Delike M nib I bought from Bobby and all is well.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

#47 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 14:31

No way , Clotted Cream Fudge I want one though I am sure my doctor will kill me for that

But the doctor will blame it on the fudge

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#48 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 14:47

Moonman M100 today

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#49 WJM

WJM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:39

Moonman M800, standard Moonman nib version, swapped for a PenBBS medium. 

img-20200901-082343-hdr.jpg
img-20200901-082437-hdr.jpg

#50 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2020 - 00:41

Jinhao 159 Silver/Gold - M. Nib  Ink:  Thorton's Oxblood

Jinhao Mako Shark (Green)- M. nib  Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green.

#51 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 00:15

Fine Writing International 'Planets series: Mercury' with a steel EF nib made by JoWo, writing in Robert Oster Flaming Blue ink.

fpn_1599351135__fwi_mercury_writing_samp

The nib is awesome, the lines it puts down are sufficiently wet but still precise, and the pen is comfortable to hold and use, and well-constructed besides. Pity about the three-and-a-half turns required to uncap the pen, making it impractical to use as an EDC or casual jotter.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#52 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 16:49

Fine Writing International 'Planets series: Mercury' with a steel EF nib made by JoWo, writing in Robert Oster Flaming Blue ink.

fpn_1599351135__fwi_mercury_writing_samp

The nib is awesome, the lines it puts down are sufficiently wet but still precise, and the pen is comfortable to hold and use, and well-constructed besides. Pity about the three-and-a-half turns required to uncap the pen, making it impractical to use as an EDC or casual jotter.

Like the looks of your pen.  For me it could easily be an EDC.

#53 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 18:07

Very nice pen indeed smug. It is not piston filled?

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#54 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:54

Very nice pen indeed smug. It is not piston filled?

Thanks. No, it's cartridge/converter-filled, but also designed to work as an eyedropper-filled pen and are already fitted with an O-ring in the factory.

I'd originally ordered the Fine Writing International Brass Age, which alas wouldn't ideally suit your requirement or preference for all-metal pens, because in spite of the metal gripping section, pen cap and end finial (which is more like a blind cap in length, but is not movable or removable), it still has a clear acrylic section. Anyway, after waiting for months, the retailer still couldn't get it into stock, so I cancelled the order. Out of the five models in the Planet series, Mercury would not have been nearly my first choice, but that was the one that was offered on special and so I took it. I suppose it isn't so bad when I put blue ink in its converter to fit with the "swirls of blue against a vast background of no colour" aesthetic, whereas I'd have put a reddish-brown or dark brown ink in the Jupiter, possibly as an eyedropper-filled pen.

By the way, there is no valve on the body of the pen, so I'd expect that it may burp if used as an eyedroppered pen.

#55 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:10

Crocodille 377 - M. nib.   Ink:  Diamine Syrah

Lanbitou 3059 - M. nib.   Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green

#56 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:22

Basic Black ink Cart in Selmy " Secret Note " Charcoal Grey ( with an EF nib retrofitted )

49961953978_25b102ebcf_k.jpgSelmy - Secret Note, on Flickr

#57 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 22:55

Hong Dian Blue Light of Hope - Ink::  Blackstone Australian Barrier Reef Blue (won in a giveaway)

Jinhao 9035 (Red Wood) - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Brandy Dazzle

Lanbitou 3059 - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green

Sponsored Content

|