The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Con-20 And Celluloid Pens

celluloid outgassing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 R_Bones

R_Bones

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:00

I have a Hakase in jade green celluloid. It can accept a CON-70 but for a variety of reasons I am not the hugest fan of that converter, and the CON-40 is pretty lacking in ink capacity.

I have always liked the CON-20; they have good flow and filling and cleaning them is a breeze. Should I be worried about outgassing though if I leave one in a celluloid pen? I am not sure what the sac material is made out of but I know that sacs were known to cause discoloration in older colored celluloid pens, which seems particularly noticeable in green celluloid pens. With that said this celluloid stock is considerably more modern than what those pens were made of and possibly more stable. The color is absolutely stunning and although I assume if it were to discolor it would be many years down the line, I would rather mitigate this as much as possible.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome!

Sponsored Content

#2 sebastel23

sebastel23

i'm not ham fisted. my hands are more bacon flat.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:51

why not refill the cartridges with a syringe?

in the end, it's less troublesome that cleaning a CON-70, and you have the capacity ...

#3 R_Bones

R_Bones

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 00:15

The cartridge refill is an option, it's just a bit of a pain. Two nice things with the CON-20 are they are super easy to clean out and they make flushing the nib and section out a breeze as it's a squeeze converter, so I was kind of hoping it would be an option.

I dug around a bit and it turns out there have been versions of other pilot squeeze converters that came in rubber (very bad) and PVC like the old 51 Aerometrics. The latex ones I know will outgas over time but I am not sure how the PVC ones would affect celluloid, if at all, and I am unsure what the CON-20 uses or even if it was ever available in both.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celluloid, outgassing

Sponsored Content

|