The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dollar 717I - The Most Underrated Pen Ever? Written Review + Bonus Pictures

review piston filler demonstrator written

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sui-Generis

Sui-Generis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 22:08

PX3pkAg.jpg

8xT5LOv.jpg

nsksff1.jpg

rtexCH7.jpg

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 22:18

mine leaks... :(  :gaah:

#3 gillum51

gillum51

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:45

i've actually had one of these for years.  its a little small for my taste, but I filled it recently and it really writes very well. 

#4 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:36

I too have had one - a blue one, with a slightly different nib - for years, use it off and on. Nice enough pen. Two or three years ago I bought a box (10 or 12 inside) from Asapens, for a student project. They're cheap, sturdy, and easy to figure out for people not used to writing with fountain pens. The box were all clear demonstrators, which the kids thought was cool. And also helpful, to show capillarity in action...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 16:11

Thanks for the review. One of my go-to ink tester pens, and I believe, also used that way by a big pen show.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 20:34

Somebody gave me one a couple of years ago and it writes pretty well for being basically a $5 pen with a plastic feed.  But I have found that I have to keep adjusting the piston as I use up a fill, which is kind of annoying at times.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 20:40

Now i'm curious... a pen this cheap... and it works! (apparently pretty reliably...)

Thanks for the review

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#8 txomsy

txomsy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:46

Thanks for the review. That is a nice pen indeed.

#9 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 21:37

Yes, it's a good pen. If I'm not mistaken it's made in Pakistan.

It's almost a shame the pen is slightly small and that the plastic looks a little cheap, but it does it's job pretty well.

The one thing that strikes favourably is the nib, a surprisingly nice nib at this price.

I keep one in the office drawer as a back up.

#10 txomsy

txomsy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 858 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:33

Yeah, it is made in Pakistan. A dirty cheap piston filler, which marks it high above its average. It's been around for long and it certainly is very underrated, IMHO.

#11 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:52

A good pen indeed, I can't do anything but praise it. Dollar inks are equally good.

#12 Sui-Generis

Sui-Generis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:21

I'm so very glad everyone has enjoyed my little review. ^_^

I'm also glad so many people are enjoying the fountain pen hobby without it being 18k this and 'carved from the bones of unicorns' that!

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

#13 gillum51

gillum51

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:22

A good pen indeed, I can't do anything but praise it. Dollar inks are equally good.

I didn't know they made ink. I'll have to look for it.

#14 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:15

For how obscenely cheap they are...

Agree completely. They FEEL cheap, no doubts there. But I got a box of 12 and every single one of them wrote perfectly, so they're doing something right.

I didn't know a demo model existed. I like it a lot. Mine are all red or blue.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 30 June 2020 - 04:15.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#15 txomsy

txomsy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 858 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:28

How do they hold the ink? I mean, I've got a Serwex piston filler that seems to allow for a lot of ink evaporation. Does ink evaporate quickly in these pens?

#16 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 17:13

They are reasonably good, don't expect them to last forever, as they will dry out after 7-10 days unused, but that is not so bad for this type of pen.

As Honeybadgers says their big strength is the nib, they write well, no adjustments needed and they do it better that several other low cost pens which however still cost several times more...

fpn_1593709967__dollar_717.jpg

#17 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,063 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 13:42

They do write amazingly well for the price--much better than, say, a Kaweco Sport, which is many times as expensive--and are generally well behaved, although I've found that they start burping when the ink supply gets low.

#18 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2020 - 14:30

I use mine occasionally, and the nibs are rather good as stated by our fellow correspondents. That said, I think the piston can be a bit better: in the picture posted by sansenri, you can see the piston as fitted to the end of the threaded piston rod, which has only one piston ring to effect sealing against the internal cylinder. For mine, the piston can thus wobble a fair bit, which may or may not have some effects on an absolute air seal. If the piston has two rings, wobbling can be eliminated, giving a smoother action and extra assurance of reliability.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: review, piston filler, demonstrator, written

Sponsored Content

|