Standing Pen Case With Pen Pockets

flyingfox

I initially posted this in Chatter section, then realized.... oh, wait, this IS a relevant topic!

I made a pen case that can be used as a pen stand. It has 9 individual pockets, so that my pens can stay comfortable and nicely protected in their own compartment. I can slip in a small notepad in the middle section as well. I am happy with ho it turned out, for function as well as bragging rights LOL!

I have seen/ liked the idea of standing pen cases that have been popular in Japan for the past several years. Then I saw images of crochet pen case with pockets for pens, and I totally got intrigued. I found a YouTube tutorial, simplified the design quite a bit to fit my skill and patience level, and here it is. Original design has zipper-closure, for one thing. Crochet part is super-easy, but took FOREVER (a whole afternoon) to sew the pockets on. It was definitely a learning process.

fpn_1589602041__8b58c748-0743-4427-98e2-

fpn_1589602137__8182da40-45dc-4992-a3ab-

fpn_1589602574__161a3cd3-1867-4f85-abc5-

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flyingfox

• knarflj

• inkstainedruth

• KaB

Yes, very nice. Thanks for posting.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

A few weeks ago I found this in a used-goods store for 2 euros...

fpn_1589648081__7dac957b-2193-46c8-b174-

The slots in the glass are polished hyper-smooth and large enough to even house the Opuss 88 Demonstrator. I’ve no idea if this thing was originally intended to hold stuff like pens, pencils, scissors etc. It might just as well have been meant as a candle holder.

If the holes go through it could be a flower stem divider.

This is really cool! :thumbup:

Yes, very nice. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

A few weeks ago I found this in a used-goods store for 2 euros...

fpn_1589648081__7dac957b-2193-46c8-b174-

The slots in the glass are polished hyper-smooth and large enough to even house the Opuss 88 Demonstrator. I’ve no idea if this thing was originally intended to hold stuff like pens, pencils, scissors etc. It might just as well have been meant as a candle holder.

If the holes go through it could be a flower stem divider.

I think it is a flower stand as well. I have one as well, but mine is tilted, so that the pens fan out, looking like a hedgehog. Which would look gorgeous for flowers, but your work much better for pens!

Ooh, flyingfox, I like that! I have a wooden pen stand I love using at home, but my carry case doesn't stand up. Now you've got me wanting one like yours. :)

I wonder whether I could figure out how to adapt that design to knitting? Not that I don't have a few crochet hooks around the place, but I could use a challenge with all the time on my hands at the moment.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Ooh, flyingfox, I like that! I have a wooden pen stand I love using at home, but my carry case doesn't stand up. Now you've got me wanting one like yours. :)

I wonder whether I could figure out how to adapt that design to knitting? Not that I don't have a few crochet hooks around the place, but I could use a challenge with all the time on my hands at the moment.

Jenny

Thank you for your nice comment, Jenny!

I totally admire the people who can knit. I only know the very basic of knitting, and I do not trust my skill to make anything beyond a scarf LOL.

I am not sure if there is an existing instruction, but I am sure you can create a knit version. Actual knitting/ crochet part is just to make the parts anyways. The real work is sewing these parts together. Original, zipper-close version maybe easier though.

FYI, here are the dimensions, and the basic instruction pics I got from the internet for the official version...

Body= 7 in.x 12 in. (or make 2 of 3.5 in.x 12 in.)

Pocket= 3.25 in. x 10.5 in.

Bottom= 2.5 in. x 3.5 in.

fpn_1589676335__7dc8bf66-cc46-4efe-8836-

fpn_1589676232__82a842e7-2990-41d7-8594-

I changed things up a bit. I actually made the lower half first, and used twist ties in stead of straight pins to hold the pocket in place to sew it on. Real classy. Then I filled the pockets with my pens and made the bottom to fit.

Top half of my version is actually a modified clutch bag LOL. I made up to the 7th row of the top semi-circle (flap of the bag), and made it fit to the lower half by adjusting the number of the chains, then attached it to the lower half. I did not have a zipper at hand, so I improvised.

fpn_1589847785__6d439009-355e-4203-9e4a-

Hope it helps!

Wow! This is so cute :)

Compliments on the skills and patience!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thank you for your nice comment, Jenny!

I totally admire the people who can knit. I only know the very basic of knitting, and I do not trust my skill to make anything beyond a scarf LOL.

I am not sure if there is an existing instruction, but I am sure you can create a knit version. Actual knitting/ crochet part is just to make the parts anyways. The real work is sewing these parts together. Original, zipper-close version maybe easier though.

FYI, here are the dimensions, and the basic instruction pics I got from the internet for the official version...

Body= 7 in.x 12 in. (or make 2 of 3.5 in.x 12 in.)

Pocket= 3.25 in. x 10.5 in.

Bottom= 2.5 in. x 3.5 in.

I changed things up a bit. I actually made the lower half first, and used twist ties in stead of straight pins to hold the pocket in place to sew it on. Real classy. Then I filled the pockets with my pens and made the bottom to fit.

Top half of my version is actually a modified clutch bag LOL. I made up to the 7th row of the top semi-circle (flap of the bag), and made it fit to the lower half by adjusting the number of the chains, then attached it to the lower half. I did not have a zipper at hand, so I improvised.

Hope it helps!

Thank you, that will help! (And I like yours better than the ones in the pictures.)

Jenny

@ flying fox -- You know, of of course, what was going to end up happening when I saw the other thread.....

I was out shopping today and I ran across a magazine called "How to Crochet".... I blame you. Oh, and the woman in my choir who found a pattern on Ravelry of the "Venus of Willendorf" in crochet, and made one for one of the other altos. And of course now I want one of THOSE, too.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow! This is so cute :)

Compliments on the skills and patience!

Nice!

Thank you for your kind words!

Thank you, that will help! (And I like yours better than the ones in the pictures.)

Jenny

Thank you Jenny! Hope you will post pics when you make it!

@ flying fox -- You know, of of course, what was going to end up happening when I saw the other thread.....

I was out shopping today and I ran across a magazine called "How to Crochet".... I blame you. Oh, and the woman in my choir who found a pattern on Ravelry of the "Venus of Willendorf" in crochet, and made one for one of the other altos. And of course now I want one of THOSE, too.... :wallbash:

LOL I am so glad I can be so inspiring!!! *\(^0^)/*

Please post pics when you make one.

And OMG!!!!!!! Venus of Willendorf amigurumi!!!!! I sure need it... now I know what I will be doing over the weekend!!!

Thank you for your kind words!

LOL I am so glad I can be so inspiring!!! *\(^0^)/*

Please post pics when you make one.

And OMG!!!!!!! Venus of Willendorf amigurumi!!!!! I sure need it... now I know what I will be doing over the weekend!!!

Well, first I have to learn how to DO crochet....

I have done JUST enough to make picot cuff edgings on a pair of socks. Of course, I have no idea what HAPPENED to the socks since then. Which is kinda bad because they were made out of, IIRC, a cotton/iinen blend yarn, and it's going to be in the 80°s F around here next week....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I will do that, flyingfox, but it may take a while: I'm not only converting the crochet design to knitting, I'm trying to make it so I don't have to sew anything.

Mind you, I have told myself that it would probably be faster in the long run to just sew already, but it will be much more satisfying if I can overcome the no-sew challenge. :)

Jenny

Well for knitting, you could maybe do it in the round and sew or graft the pockets, like for the fingers on gloves (and even mittens have the thumb part).

Hmmm. This is one of those weird times wher weaving might actually be faster (once you got a loom warped up), and do the pockets in double weave -- one technique is to actually do two separate layers and interlace them at points along the warp as you're running the weft threads. You'd still have to sew it together, and figure out how to do the top section, but it would be a start....