The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Repair Of Lip Crack - Onoto 6000 Bchr

onoto crack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Conradandhispens

Conradandhispens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:18

I have just bought two onotos, one is a 6234 plunger, and another is a very early BCHR pen. The BCHR is in great condition, except for the cap having a small lip crack (its a slip cap by the way) Im wondering how I can fix this? I am not sending the pen overseas to a repair man as Im confident I can do the repair, I just don't know how. Or if it cant be repaired Id buy a cap off of someone. Here's some pics. 

fpn_1589599065__20200516_150928344_edite

thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:59

Even though a slip cap is not under much pressure, it is usually enough to open an attempted glue repair. Part of the problem is how small is the surface available for glue, the cap being very fine there, quite apart from the difficulty of gluing hard rubber and the stresses in that position.

I have repaired a 3000 where after gluing, I put a couple of O-rings around the cap to provide some constant tension against any spreading effect. This seems to have been successful but is better suited to a workshop pen. The last time I looked the cap seemed tight without the O-rings but I am not betting on its longevity without them.

You could be successful with Loctite 480 if you also swage a ring firmly into the slot where it is missing.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#3 Conradandhispens

Conradandhispens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:14

Even though a slip cap is not under much pressure, it is usually enough to open an attempted glue repair. Part of the problem is how small is the surface available for glue, the cap being very fine there, quite apart from the difficulty of gluing hard rubber and the stresses in that position.

I have repaired a 3000 where after gluing, I put a couple of O-rings around the cap to provide some constant tension against any spreading effect. This seems to have been successful but is better suited to a workshop pen. The last time I looked the cap seemed tight without the O-rings but I am not betting on its longevity without them.

You could be successful with Loctite 480 if you also swage a ring firmly into the slot where it is missing.

thanks for the advice. for the meantime while I wait to do a repair should I drill a tiny wee hole in the end of the crack?

#4 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:00

thanks for the advice. for the meantime while I wait to do a repair should I drill a tiny wee hole in the end of the crack?

I would not, assuming it will be lying around waiting for repair. Separate the cap from the pen in your per-pen repair container. It will be happy as a pig in processed food waste.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#5 Conradandhispens

Conradandhispens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:04

I would not, assuming it will be lying around waiting for repair. Separate the cap from the pen in your per-pen repair container. It will be happy as a pig in processed food waste.

Yeah your right. Im thinking getting a new cap for this pen will be expensive... Ill wait to see if anyone here has one I could buy. Dont know if any repair can hold up to use.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: onoto, crack

Sponsored Content

|