The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The G In Osmia Fountain Pens

osmia

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fcarbon

fcarbon

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 16:54

Does anyone know what the "G" stands for in the Osmia Supra 44 G for instance?

Thank you! 

Sponsored Content

#2 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 17:30

I will begin by admitting my ignorance of Osmia specifics, but offer the tentative suggestion that it may indicate a gold nib, as it does with Kaweco?

Cheers,

Ralf

#3 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 22:55

I think the "G" stands for "glatt", indicating a smooth, polished surface in contrast to a guilloche one. I'm not really aware of pre-war Osmias with original steel nibs and the 44 is a pre-war model if I'm not mistaken. If your question is about a specific pen, it would be helpful if you could post pictures here. 

Ralf's comment is correct for some post-war models, namely the Progress 55/66/77, which came as "S" with steel nib and as "G" with gold nib. (Not to be mixed up with the pre-war Progress models, which were completely different pens)

#4 fcarbon

fcarbon

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 19:28

Here it is. Presumably from 1938.
Thank you!

IMG_0323 (1).jpg
IMG_0325 (1).jpg
IMG_0326 (1).jpg
IMG_0328 (1).jpg

#5 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 22:30

Congratulations, this looks like an excellent example. Second half of 1930s should be right, original supra nib, presumably in Fine and the barrel is not guilloched as expected. My 44, an earlier version from the beginning of the 1930s, is one of my favourite writers.

#6 fcarbon

fcarbon

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:25

Yes this one is an excellent writer too with a rather flexy F nib. Thank you for the info!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: osmia

Sponsored Content

|