The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Platinum 3776 (Century) Shiun

platinum pen platinum century platinum 3776 3776 century platinum 3776 century 3776 shiun platinum shiun

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 21:25

Platinum has a new LE or SE (no idea) out in their 3776 Century line, the Shiun.

The 4th in the Fuji Shunkei series.

Meant to symbolize the purple clouds (ie "Shiun") around Mt. Fuji, a symbol of luck since ancient times.

Diamond pattern on purple greyish resin, a demonstrator, as usual.

Pictures leaked from a Chinese site a few days ago, now Pen Chalet has it in their listing.

$470 (for now?!).

https://www.penchale...ntain_pens.html

First seen here

https://www.reddit.c...num_3776_shiun/

https://www.reddit.c..._next_platinum/

Edited by Olya, 13 May 2020 - 21:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 eciton

eciton

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:30

Luckily, I don't much like the colour or the rather spiky shape of the pattern. I know it's an LE, but the price seems high. I'm sure it'll end up at $800 like Kumpoo!

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

#3 Caeruleum

Caeruleum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:32

Thanks for the news.
It seems a bit expensive to mee. Do you know if there's something which makes it different from the red Shungyo or the lake series aside from the pattern?

#4 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 933 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:13

Thanks for the news.
It seems a bit expensive to mee. Do you know if there's something which makes it different from the red Shungyo or the lake series aside from the pattern?

I know as much as you do, but my guess is no, just colour + pattern, no glitter or new feed or whatnot.

All their pens are basically demonstrators, which is I suppose their thing.

The introduction of the laurel green and Chenonceau white were quite exciting, green a demo, but very dark, so not immediately seen as such and Chenonceau full white. I wish they'd do more of that, but I suppose they have their niche with demos.

The intro of fine glitter was then novel or different textures/patterns (eg the Rokka), so this one is a bit of an old trick with just pattern + colour.

And each new edition seems to become more and more expensive, I find the price too much, esp considering the normal 3776 Century is available for much less.

#5 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:49

These prices are steep. I now find that ebay is showing the truly gorgeous celluloid 3776s at much lower prices than, for instance, Rokka and Shiun.

The last new 3776s I really liked were the Lavande, Lilas, and Laurel - the latter sits very nicely with the also very dark Chartres and Bourgogne. 

Another triangulation? One shop I know has a nice Nakaya urushi pen for not a whole lot more than the Shiun, and you could now get two Nakayas for some of the Kumpoo prices I'm seeing. I'm not sure the Platinum offers value in that comparison....

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#6 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 14:11

OK. If this is the price, this is going to set us off and boycott Luxury Brands. From what I have seen from Platinum and Japanese pen retailers, the price is only 35000 yen. Charging an additional premium of 120 USD is daylight robbery.

Shall we all bombard Luxury brands to say that in the age of global e-commerce, this is not the way to form a relationship with your customers? Just another excuse to directly buy from Japan.

Edited by gerigo, 15 May 2020 - 14:13.

#7 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 21:57

My initial thought is this. Platinum already has a devoted following in the United States and other parts of the world. However, not every pen turns into a Kumpoo hit. It has to have the right color, design, creativity as well as performance. I believe those elements are what drive the desire for people to get one, not just the fact that this is the next limited edition in the series. So, why risk turning off interested parties by charging an inflated price? It's a risky corporate gamble that could be a turn off to followers. 

#8 ljz

ljz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:44

Here’s a picture of the real object I found.

Attached Images

• AE439EEA-16E1-4DE3-936E-572D1E7ADB0F.jpeg

#9 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:00

For the same price (or even less?!) I can get the Izumo covered in urushi, which for me is obviously a higher quality pen. I have three normal 3776s which I got for around $60 each, and this is basically the same thing so I am totally perplexed by the pricing. Their Izumos and regular 3776s are so reasonably priced so what's this nonsense with LE 3776s?? 

#10 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 933 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 18:19

Well we can make our own LEs/SEs, two 3776 Century pens and still much cheaper than the Shiun!

https://www.reddit.c..._for_less_that/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum pen, platinum century, platinum 3776, 3776 century, platinum 3776 century, 3776 shiun, platinum shiun

Sponsored Content

|