Are Fountain Pen Ink Manufacturers Legally....

Patrick L

@OP -

Here in Nevada, I can tell you that legally the manufacturer can name a product any name that is not on the no-no list. So for example, an ink can be named Dragon's Napalm when you know it contains neither Dragons nor Napalm. However, the description of the ink must be correct - in that it must be ink with whatever chemicals are in ink and not a completely different liquid - say beer. I hope that helps.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• BaronWulfraed

• inkstainedruth

• LizEF

Thanks for all your replies. It transpires that it depends on the country's laws. Having said that,I would not be happy if I purchase an ink bottle called "Profound Black" and when I open the ink bottle I see a yellow ink.

Take care

Patrick

Thanks for all your replies. It transpires that it depends on the country's laws. Having said that,I would not be happy if I purchase an ink bottle called "Profound Black" and when I open the ink bottle I see a yellow ink.

Take care

Patrick

Sometime, last year I think, I had to replace the yellow cartridge in my printer. Somewhere, that cartridge must have gone bad. There was NO yellow in it -- it came out a washed out charcoal grey.

Fortunately, my other spare yellow was okay.

Yeah, that would be... disconcerting....

I just read some of the comments in this thread to the husband and dug out the old ink review journal with my very first "red" ink (the aforementioned Platinum Mix-Free Flame Red) and yeah, the color really still is that hideous.... I gave the bottle away to the guy who runs the Steel City Nibs email list these days to use for grading (he's a math professor). He then gave it away to my friend Karl. Dunno if Karl still has it or has palmed it off, er, "gifted it" to someone else; but I live in dread fear that there will be a "mathom party" some day and the bottle will end up back in my possession again..... :o

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It can be any color they want.

I've a bottle on my desk of an ink sold as a brilliant red. It's at best an orange, and a paper towel chromatograph is pink and yellow.

If I name an ink Sapphire, which color should it be? If I told you that every stone in the picture is a sapphire, from the water-clear to the blue, to the pink, to the wine red, would that change your answer?

saphirs-de-couleurs.jpg

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

It can be any color they want.

I've a bottle on my desk of an ink sold as a brilliant red. It's at best an orange, and a paper towel chromatograph is pink and yellow.

If I name an ink Sapphire, which color should it be? If I told you that every stone in the picture is a sapphire, from the water-clear to the blue, to the pink, to the wine red, would that change your answer?

saphirs-de-couleurs.jpg

No, it wouldn't change my opinion about ink colors, but it does make me want to hunt down some of these gems. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Quick answer: no

Just look at the difference between Pelikan Royal Blue and Diamine Royal Blue...

Not to mention some fancy names, like Waterman Mysterious Blue (for the old blue-black that was more a dark blue green) or Diamine Eau de Nil.

What I have seen in the last 20 years is a change from actual names to fancy names, looks like calling an ink "dark blue" is not so fancy as calling it "Night sky in an exotic place".

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I dunno. I kinda like some of the "fancy" and evocative ink names.... In particular the names of some of the Noodler's inks because there's always some sort of story behind the (people complain about the "political" ones but there are also a lot of "historical" ones that make me want to learn more about the subject matter). Then there's a lot of the "famous people" relabeled De Atramentis inks (even when I disagree about the color relating to the person); the Colorverse inks (which tend to have astonomical and/or scientific-themed names; and the Birmingham Pens inks which tend to have a hometown Pittsburgh focus (I mean, who WOULDN'T want ink named after the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning or one of the city's oldest and most iconic bridges? :D)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Some ink names may have a reason, others to me are nothing else than marketing tools to sound different from competitors.

At the end, we have plenty of good inks to chose from, and it seems that this is becoming a good business for small companies, so a facncy name is part of the game.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

LOL I know. I was thinking the crazy blue-green and red-oranges that are actually not overly expensive. :)