Efnir: Sailor Souboku

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Sailor Souboku

This is review #12 in my series, with 100+ to go... Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.SailorSouboku.jpg.bc7c26d7d00acd6412a098b4eafb7f50.jpg

(Quote is from The Peking Target by Adam Hall - forgot to write it during the review video.)

Scan of Completed Review:
large.SailorSoubokuS.jpg.66ec6009d079c5c1a57f11f6771cb6bb.jpg

Zoomed in photo:

large.SailorSoubokuZ.jpg.b7da1278a9f9652ebf4fb5e72f401737.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Rohrer & Klingner Salix.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Karmachanic

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the close ups. A great help in finding inks that will shade with EF/F nibs. :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thank you for the close ups. A great help in finding inks that will shade with EF/F nibs. :D

You're welcome! And those dark patches sometimes even have sheen - though it's hard to see, and I made no attempt at photographing it.

A question Liz

I don't see your reviews in the Index of Ink Reviews. I thought about that for a moment. Whilst they are ink reviews, they are, at the same time, pertinent to a particular audience; those who wield EF nibs. So it occurred to me that they might be archived in the nib section instead, as they are of more value to the EF loonies, than the lovely inky fanatics.

Speaking as a loonie fanatic.

Thoughts?

A question Liz

I don't see your reviews in the Index of Ink Reviews. I thought about that for a moment. Whilst they are ink reviews, they are, at the same time, pertinent to a particular audience; those who wield EF nibs. So it occurred to me that they might be archived in the nib section instead, as they are of more value to the EF loonies, than the lovely inky fanatics.

Speaking as a loonie fanatic.

Thoughts?

To me, they're ink reviews. If I came to the site and searched a specific forum for ink reviews, I'd want these to be there. It would never occur to me to go to the "Of Nibs & Tines" or even "Japan - Asia" forums to search for ink reviews... If there were an explicit "All Things EF" forum, then, yeah, it might make more sense to put these there, but we don't have (unless I'm missing something) nib-size-specific forums.

Maybe they're not indexed because whoever does the indexing hasn't had time. But if they're not indexed because of some feature absent from the reviews, I still think they're better off here. If the mods think these belong elsewhere, they'll need to move the existing ones and let me know so I can put future ones there.

Ah, here are rules from the index post:

Please Note: The following are not, generally, included in the Index of Reviews:

1. Comparisons, sample scans, and water tests (these go in the sub-forum--the link is below Ink Reviews link on main page.)
2. Reviews with a link to an external site, or otherwise, in order to view the "main body" of the review, including any images.
3. Reviews that are done more than 1 to a topic. Please, only ONE review per post!

My images are linked to an external site, as well as the video on an external site, violating rule #2. I guess I could try to figure out how to get the images uploaded here - I forget how, but apparently there's some way other than attaching them directly to the post (where I'm out of allowed space) which by-passes the size limits.

The question is, would that satisfy the mods, or is the YouTube video sufficient to keep them out of the index?

To me, they're ink reviews. If I came to the site and searched a specific forum for ink reviews, I'd want these to be there. It would never occur to me to go to the "Of Nibs & Tines" or even "Japan - Asia" forums to search for ink reviews... If there were an explicit "All Things EF" forum, then, yeah, it might make more sense to put these there, but we don't have (unless I'm missing something) nib-size-specific forums.

Maybe they're not indexed because whoever does the indexing hasn't had time. But if they're not indexed because of some feature absent from the reviews, I still think they're better off here. If the mods think these belong elsewhere, they'll need to move the existing ones and let me know so I can put future ones there.

My twisted logic. I'll continue to enjoy them where they belong.

My twisted logic. I'll continue to enjoy them where they belong.

The world would be boring if we all saw things the same. :) Please continue to share your twisted logic. As long as search engines work, we'll be OK. :D

Great review as usual... Looking forward to your next review... :)

Edited by yazeh

Great review as usual... Looking forward to your next review... :)

Thanks! Next one is on Thursday this week - KWZ Brown Pink. :)

:) So many blue-blacks, so little time.

True . . . but if you had to choose one . . . :wub:

(My avatar gives it away)

Hmmmmm....my kinda color, a bit wary however of pigmented inks. Thanks for the review! They're always fun to watch. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hmmmmm....my kinda color, a bit wary however of pigmented inks. Thanks for the review! They're always fun to watch. :)

You're welcome! And if you're gonna go pigmented, I'd say to go with Sailor's - I've never had trouble with them. I'm guessing Tas has used this one more than I have and could tell you all about cleaning it from various pens. ;)

True . . . but if you had to choose one . . . :wub:

(My avatar gives it away)

Yes, I remember your rambling about it! That was what convinced me to just go straight for the bottle rather than a sample. (Love those ramblings.)

Go on . . . what's the worst that can happen? :)

You're welcome! And if you're gonna go pigmented, I'd say to go with Sailor's - I've never had trouble with them. I'm guessing Tas has used this one more than I have and could tell you all about cleaning it from various pens. ;)

Yes, I remember your rambling about it! That was what convinced me to just go straight for the bottle rather than a sample. (Love those ramblings.)

Yay! Delighted my rambling persuaded you to buy a bottle and chuffed to bits you like it too :D

I've had Sou Boku in my Namisu Nova EF for well over a year now. I rinse the pen every few top ups and have NEVER had an issue. Writes first time every time. One of my "married" combinations as I call them.

I've also had Sei Boku in my Pilot Custom 91 F (same drill) for even longer with the same result.

I was wary a long time ago when a strange Parker of mine clogged solid with a sample of Sei Boku in it. Thing is, that pen was always problematic and I was kind of glad to be rid of it.

A good pen, with reasonable care, should hold no problems. I've Platinum's Carbon Black in my 3776 and have no intention of swapping that out in the forseeable future. What a combo, the pair glide across every page :wub:

Go on . . . what's the worst that can happen? :)

Yay! Delighted my rambling persuaded you to buy a bottle and chuffed to bits you like it too :D

I've had Sou Boku in my Namisu Nova EF for well over a year now. I rinse the pen every few top ups and have NEVER had an issue. Writes first time every time. One of my "married" combinations as I call them.

I've also had Sei Boku in my Pilot Custom 91 F (same drill) for even longer with the same result.

I was wary a long time ago when a strange Parker of mine clogged solid with a sample of Sei Boku in it. Thing is, that pen was always problematic and I was kind of glad to be rid of it.

A good pen, with reasonable care, should hold no problems. I've Platinum's Carbon Black in my 3776 and have no intention of swapping that out in the forseeable future. What a combo, the pair glide across every page :wub:

:) Thanks, Tas! I haven't used Seiboku or Souboku as much, but I've had good experience with both too.

A couple years ago when I discovered fountain pens I was looking for a fast drying blue-black. I ordered several samples, one of which was it's lighter and older sibling Seiboku. I loved everything about that ink except the color wasn't what I was looking for. Then along came Souboku, and I ordered a full bottle based on pictures and my Seiboku sample, and it is wonderful.

I like experiencing different color inks so this isn't always in a pen, but if I could have only one ink then Souboku might very well be it. I don't actually think Souboku is perfect at any one thing, but it is very very good at just about everything. Except maybe for halo: I think a halo is nice, and I don't recall a pen/paper combination which got a halo from Souboku.

A couple years ago when I discovered fountain pens I was looking for a fast drying blue-black. I ordered several samples, one of which was it's lighter and older sibling Seiboku. I loved everything about that ink except the color wasn't what I was looking for. Then along came Souboku, and I ordered a full bottle based on pictures and my Seiboku sample, and it is wonderful.

I like experiencing different color inks so this isn't always in a pen, but if I could have only one ink then Souboku might very well be it. I don't actually think Souboku is perfect at any one thing, but it is very very good at just about everything. Except maybe for halo: I think a halo is nice, and I don't recall a pen/paper combination which got a halo from Souboku.

This is a good assessment, IMO. It's unlikely that any ink will ever be perfect for anyone. But it can be the best possible for some.

I don't see your reviews in the Index of Ink Reviews.

When I asked about my ink reviews once, ages ago, I was told the index HTML page only gets updated by a moderator once a month.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.