Calculated Risk Or Beginers Mistake Pelikan 101N

Marijan

I bought this one based on few mobile phone photographs in the ad. It looked like it will need a loot of work and perhaps even new barrel, risky, but I thought it was promising enough, from first few shots. It wasn`t a loot of money - sort off (I took these when I got the pen), but.....

fpn_1589299426__1a.jpg

fpn_1589288491__4p.jpg

fpn_1589288503__5p.jpg

fpn_1589288545__8p.jpg

fpn_1589288560__9p.jpg

fpn_1589288679__13p.jpg

fpn_1589288695__14p.jpg

Edited by Marijan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marijan

• mana

• christof

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

Photos that where not available from the ad. Crack at the filler button and one on the cap (not large one but there it is) . I thought that complete cap, at least, is worth of risk. Seller did well, in combination with my carelessness. Well....

fpn_1589288642__11a.jpg

fpn_1589288518__6p.jpg

fpn_1589288613__16p.jpg

Consolation part. Old, rare four chicks logo. Reasonable well preserved nib. Working filling mechanism. Nice cap (despite the small crack). And it holds water/ink, it can write.... :unsure:

I did contacted some guys from UK and will contact some guys from Belgium, perhaps someone will find it to be a chalange.

What do you, repaire guys, think. I mean beside... call TW, or MS ....?

Give it a chance or SELL IT.

Edited by Marijan

Oooooooo-kay... looks like someone who did not know what they were doing attempted to "repair" that pen. Oh boy, breaks the heart to see an old bird treated like that. :(

First step would be to send that to someone who does not just repairs but actual reconstructions (for example, fountainbel).

The goop/glue needs to be removed, then the pen body and filling mechanism disassembled.

After that the most likely course of action would be to machine the old barrel out and fit in a new barrel... or depending, just try to get the binde of the barrel with other means (either whole or split it along the length and wrap it on a new barrel).

Problem with any of those approaches is the fact that the celluloid binde is not at all durable or flexible so there is a fair risk of that operation being destructive. The results might also vary but... you do not know until you do.

Section might be ok/reusable if the removal of that glue is successful.

Then would follow the repairs on the split parts (cap tube and binde). Maybe replate the trims...

That is a fair bit of work with not that great of a success rate. But well, it is good that you are consulting professionals, they will know more.

I dunno. That pen is unique! With huge, intense character and personality. Wacko that I am, I'd be inclined to keep much of that, whilst having someone lovingly making it fully functional.

A wabi-sabi hero.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I'd be heartbroken to own such a nice pen in that state, and probably would never have bought it in the first place.

If it were up to me, I would first ask on possibility to restore it, or else sell it even at a loss.

As the others have said, ask around.

Fountainbel and Mr. Zorn are both very talented people and will give you much better advice than we can.

I do believe that David Nishimura (hope I got his name right) and/or Rick Propas have made acrylic pen barrels for the 100.

I have also heard that there is a 'point of no return' for Pelikan bindes, (I dealt with this on my 140), so lets hope that your pen can be repaired.

What makes a 101N Tortoise special in comparison to common 100N's?
It's the cap and the binde around the barrel. But Both is defect and can not be built newly since the material is not available....
C.

Edited by christof

Nice pen. However, I'm happy with my new version.

fpn_1577273636__m101n_tortoise_uncapped.

fpn_1577273612__m101n_tortoise.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I started wrongly. I am in no position to complain really. I paid a decent nib price for it. I can still cap it and put it in display box if I want, no harm done. It is actually extremely nice pen, 101 tortoise in general, (those who had a chance to see one of those in person knows what am I saying) with great "fake" tortoise pattern. One of the kind, as each old time 101-101N tortoise was.

What I wanted to know is, do you, seasoned collectors take (sometimes), a sort of calculated risks, buying such a rare pen, despite that you did not have a chance to see it in person or the photos and descriptions are on the scarce side, and despite you know that there are damages that will need serious work.

You are right Christof, 2 of the 3 parts that define tortoise 101 are damaged. I imagine that someone repaired the filling mechanism unscrewing it without knowing that the treads orientation is reversed on this old Pelikans. I will clean up the mess on the section/ink window, to what happen there. It needs a new part anyway.

BTW: these are really close up photos. Damage/crack on the cap is small, more than reparable one. I have seen it on the photographs at first time. There is a number worst caps of this model, with multiple repaired cracks on hi dollar 101 pens. I wood not mind having this one on well preserved tortoise 101.

After a few chats, I decided that the pen will be repaired. I will send a shot or two after that. Till later, thanks.

Marijan, are you not going to tell us where you bought this pen?

As an aside (and with the greatest respect to anyone here from eastern Europe) I have noticed that, in recent years, there has been a increase of offerings on eBay of historic fountain pens (Pelikan, Osmia, all sorts...), being offered at (sometimes) outrageous prices. Many of these pens are in crummy condition and missing parts and they are coming from formerly-communist states; but I suppose they find suckers to buy or else they wouldn't be for sale (Sorry, Marijan: I'm not calling you a sucker!) Have others noticed this trend?

Sure. Eastern Europe - former communist country.

Edited by Marijan

Yeah, and there is also overall a marked shortage of vintage Pelikans in good (near mint/NOS condition) and the prices have kind of skyrocketed...

As an aside (and with the greatest respect to anyone here from eastern Europe) I have noticed that, in recent years, there has been a increase of offerings on eBay of historic fountain pens (Pelikan, Osmia, all sorts...), being offered at (sometimes) outrageous prices. Many of these pens are in crummy condition and missing parts and they are coming from formerly-communist states; but I suppose they find suckers to buy or else they wouldn't be for sale (Sorry, Marijan: I'm not calling you a sucker!) Have others noticed this trend?

I started wrongly. I am in no position to complain really. I paid a decent nib price for it. I can still cap it and put it in display box if I want, no harm done. It is actually extremely nice pen, 101 tortoise in general, (those who had a chance to see one of those in person knows what am I saying) with great "fake" tortoise pattern. One of the kind, as each old time 101-101N tortoise was.

What I wanted to know is, do you, seasoned collectors take (sometimes), a sort of calculated risks, buying such a rare pen, despite that you did not have a chance to see it in person or the photos and descriptions are on the scarce side, and despite you know that there are damages that will need serious work.

You are right Christof, 2 of the 3 parts that define tortoise 101 are damaged. I imagine that someone repaired the filling mechanism unscrewing it without knowing that the treads orientation is reversed on this old Pelikans. I will clean up the mess on the section/ink window, to what happen there. It needs a new part anyway.

BTW: these are really close up photos. Damage/crack on the cap is small, more than reparable one. I have seen it on the photographs at first time. There is a number worst caps of this model, with multiple repaired cracks on hi dollar 101 pens. I wood not mind having this one on well preserved tortoise 101.

After a few chats, I decided that the pen will be repaired. I will send a shot or two after that. Till later, thanks.

I have never owned any rare pens, however I have received vintage pens 'as not described'.

If the seller provided an inadequate description for the 100, you have every right to receive (at least) a partial refund for the pen.

Since you have paid a decent price for the pen, it is good that you have decided to repair the pen.

May I ask: do you know how will the pen be repaired? (The technical aspects of the repair?)

EDIT: And yes, it seems as though in the past 3 years or so., the prices for vintage Pelikans have increased to insane levels. I don't know if this is a result of their fragility or an increase in demand from countries that (previously) did not have easy access to these pens.

Edited by AL01

So, here it is. Done. Just some clip polishing needed. ;)

Much more presentable. Trusty sharp chisel. Still water tight. :huh: Epoxy (or...) seems to entered the the micro cracks, but those are still visible inside the ink window. Replacements needed in any case. God news is that celluloid sleeve is separating from the barrel when carefully inserting the scalpel tip in between, on the nib side. I think things will be savable on the other side too, and that original sleeve could be removed. Lathe is still best bet I guess if it doesn't fall of the barrel by itself ...

To ALO1: perhaps I didn't express myself correctly or perhaps you misread me. I said that I paid a price of a decent Pelikan nib, for this pen. Hardly overpaid in this case.

fpn_1589383832__ao3.jpg

fpn_1589383863__ap1.jpg

fpn_1589383912__ap2.jpg

Edited by Marijan

Please keep updating this thread. I would love to see this get fully restored. Its really nice looking overall

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.