Parker Vector, Unsung Hero?

Al-Nasser

I had picked up a translucent blue Vector rollerball a few years ago for a buck, in order to harvest the barrel as a temporary substitute for the cracked barrel on my first Vector. Unfortunately, the caps are sufficient different on the inside that I can't use that as well. (OTOH, the pen cost me a buck.... :rolleyes:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• NumberSix

• alexwi

• Olya

I had picked up a translucent blue Vector rollerball a few years ago for a buck, in order to harvest the barrel as a temporary substitute for the cracked barrel on my first Vector. Unfortunately, the caps are sufficient different on the inside that I can't use that as well. (OTOH, the pen cost me a buck.... :rolleyes:).

Hey Ruth!

The cap has a sticker on the top. Underneath there's a screw, which is all that holds the inner cap in place. Once you transplant the inner cap from the FP to the RB's body, you're all set.

You have to be careful removing the sticker, though, unless you want to replace it with something like electrical tape.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

No, I think you've misunderstood me. Because the nib is longer than the rollerball tip, the the caps are not interchangeable, without a lot of finagling. Easier to just put the replacement barrel on, and leave the original cap as is, since the crack is in the barrel (unfortunately, right at the threading, so not a cheap fix -- especially for a pen I paid nine bucks for to begin with).

I thought it would be easy to get replacement parts, not realizing that my pen was an unusual color (most of the blue Vectors I've seen are really more of a blue black; I do also have one that is a bright blue, more of an aqua color).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think that I understood you, but just in case, let me start from the top.

I got a vector fountain pen in a boring color. I then got a vector rollerball in a pretty design. Took the section from the boring one and screwed the pretty barrel to it. Then tried the pretty cap on the FP section and that didn't work.

The only difference is the inner cap, so I took apart the two caps and put the FP inner cap inside the pretty cap.

Isn't this what you wanted?

Alex

Edited by alexwi

Take out the inner cap from the FP and put it in the RB cap. Simple as that.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

I used to look down on steel nibs but now that I have several Parker 45s I think they are very nice in a tool pen. I also like the responsiveness and durability of steel nibs over gold nibs.

This tidbit might amuse y'all: I now have two Vectors. One is a dark red from the late 90s (I bought it NOS in the blister pack). The other is a black new one that I bought with a bottle of ESSRI.

I was curious is there was a difference in how the nibs wrote. However, before I could do a proper comparison, I had them apart for cleaning. And then after they dried, I realized I had forgotten which nib was which. I could very well have swapped them without thinking! :lol:

Anyway, they both write great medium lines. I have Quink carts in them, and they can be used in my Moleskine Cahier. I need to get used to the slimness and lightness of them, though. I am considering ordering a stainless one for hopefully just a smidgen more weight. (and it would pair nicely with a stainless Jotter BP)

I thought there was an issue of weirdness, like they were too smooth that it was distracting. (I have this issue with a P15 and have experienced it with Jotter FP, too) But I have let them sit for about a week and decided to give another go. Maybe they needed more time for the ink to saturate. Or maybe they didn't like my Apica paper I was testing them on. Either way, so far so good.

I thought there was an issue of weirdness, like they were too smooth that it was distracting.

My Vector also has this mesmerizing smoothness especially when it's saturated with ink. While mine is labeled as an M, it's a bit too wet and writes broad-ish.

My Vector also has this mesmerizing smoothness especially when it's saturated with ink. While mine is labeled as an M, it's a bit too wet and writes broad-ish.

You quoted me where I made a word error. Now I can't go back and fix it without everyone knowing. :lol:

The weird feeling is like it's not gripping on the paper at all. It's very difficult to describe.

Anyway, I had it with these two Vectors when brand new, which is why I put them aside. But they seem fine now.

:lticaptd:

Or not. Velveeta is gross....

Besides, it's a rollerball.

I know. It just makes me laugh. I saw lots of Vector Rollerballs with advertising on them. I wonder if someone makes them aftermarket? There's one with vintage Pepsi cans on it that I liked.

But I wouldn't want it if it's just someone printing a sticker and wrapping it around the pen barrel and cap. :angry:

But I wouldn't want it if it's just someone printing a sticker and wrapping it around the pen barrel and cap. :angry:

All the branded Vectors I've had and seen are properly printed and lacquered. They're produced by Parker Corporate Sales probably. One of them had a small clip attachment with company logo too. They were always proper Vectors with proper quality.

IIRC some of them were even steel ones.

IIRC some of them were even steel ones.

Yeah, early on I got a steel Vector with the imprint of some computer company, and a little shield with a lion's head design on the clip. Couldn't find any information about the company. UK production model, bought on eBay (I think from a seller in the Netherlands). Bought it for the medium nib as much as for it being stainless steel; the company imprint? Meh. I described the pen in my inventory file as a "skunk" (although *real* "skunks" are black Esties with company imprints on them, like the Bell Telephone ones, because the imprint is in white).

the nib design of the vector looks very well researched. I can see it being a component of a high end pen by just switching out the steel for a gold nib.

the nib design of the vector looks very well researched. I can see it being a component of a high end pen by just switching out the steel for a gold nib.

How so?

It's just a generic open nib..

It's the same nib as in the Jotter and the old style IM and Urban, just seated deeper in the Vector than the other models.

yes, but it is a rather nice looking nib to my eyes. There is a lot of beauty in how it is designed. The same with those steel Sheaffer inlaid nibs. Cheap pens but have so much character.

Here you go... https://parkerpens.net/parker88.html

Not Duofold or Premier high-end, but waaaay higher than the vector.

alex