Need Dry Blue-Black Ink

markh

As others have mentioned... R+K Salix most likely check mark all your requirement for a blue/black dry ink.

Dry writing ink.

Does not darken to black -- different shade/shading of the blue will be dependent on nib size/type. I personally find that the blue is more prominent on stub and italic nibs. The color does fade (or age) to a very dark gray over time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• markh

• TSherbs

• Mercian

Some years back I frequently used Salix until I realized it fades a lot. :gaah:

Some years back I frequently used Salix until I realized it fades a lot. :gaah:

Yeah, did the same for me.

Yeah, did the same for me.

It is true that Salix fades, but in time so will I ;).

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I guess I should have been more detailed in my original request.

Afaik, Pelikan BB is an iron-gall ink "for documents". It certainly behaves like one going on blue and turning grayish/black.

I was looking for something different. The pen in question is a Pelikan M1000 - the combination of the large feed and soft nib makes for nice writing, but a lot of ink on the paper.

I was filled with Aurora blue, but that was too wet.

I had heard that Visconti ink was in the dry side, but I don't think they make a BlueBlack ink.

I just filled it with Lamy BB ink, which someone recommended as lower flow... jury is still out. Based on recommendations here I might try Stipula ink, but have none around.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Platinum (Classic) Blue-Black can be a good choice for a wetter pen. This is an IG type ink made with tea leaves rather than oak galls. At least that's what the Platinum ink info states on their website. For years this ink seemed to be the only readily available IG ink made in Japan.

I have been using this ink as my go-to medium blue "permanent ink for the last five years. Just today I ordered a back-up bottle of PBB, as I'm almost half way through a bottle I opened in January.

A reliable ink for official use or everyday writing.

This blue/black starts in the mid-blue colour range & only darkens a little with time.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Platinum (Classic) Blue-Black can be a good choice for a wetter pen. This is an IG type ink made with tea leaves rather than oak galls. At least that's what the Platinum ink info states on their website.

Tea leaves? Really ?? A little caffeine might really pick up my writing :)

I have a bottle labeled:

Platinum Blue-Black

Water-based dyestuff ink for fountain pens

Two out of four sides have Japanese writing on them. I don't remember where I purchased this, but probably from Jetpens.

I don't think this matches your ink. A pointer (if its available in the US would be appreciated.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I guess I should have been more detailed in my original request.

Afaik, Pelikan BB is an iron-gall ink "for documents". It certainly behaves like one going on blue and turning grayish/black.

I was looking for something different. The pen in question is a Pelikan M1000 - the combination of the large feed and soft nib makes for nice writing, but a lot of ink on the paper.

Wanting something different other than IG-like properties with the color transition from blue to ligher blue/grayish, I would suggest KWZ IG Blue #x-x, they hold their color well over time. They are however really wet for IG inks. So that is out of the question...

Another different drier contender would be Sailor Seiboku. It's pigmented ink so there will be ZERO color fading. Not as dry as all the other inks mentioned in this post, BUT it does put down a consistent slimmer line than a lot of inks.

Straying away from Blue-Black try looking into Sailor Storia Blue Night. Another pigmented ink. Again not as dry as other mentioned inks on this string.

If all else fails... got to compromise somewhere? Different paper? Middle ground between a less dry ink for ink color properties you prefer? ETC.

Edited by Kasyll

Tea leaves? Really ?? A little caffeine might really pick up my writing :)

I have a bottle labeled:

Platinum Blue-Black

Water-based dyestuff ink for fountain pens

Two out of four sides have Japanese writing on them. I don't remember where I purchased this, but probably from Jetpens.

I don't think this matches your ink. A pointer (if its available in the US would be appreciated.

If you go into the Platinum web-site, under inks, close to the end (pen maintenance, I believe) is where I read about the tea based ink. Tannic acid in tea?

Edited by tinta

If you go into the Platinum web-site, under inks, close to the end (pen maintenance, I believe) is where I read about the tea based ink. Tannic acid n ea?

No, tannic acid is from oak galls, not tea (that is tannins). So, it is an iron gall, but like many others, a modern formulation.

Edited by silverlifter

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Platinum (Classic) Blue-Black can be a good choice for a wetter pen. This is an IG type ink made with tea leaves rather than oak galls. At least that's what the Platinum ink info states on their website. For years this ink seemed to be the only readily available IG ink made in Japan.

I have been using this ink as my go-to medium blue "permanent ink for the last five years. Just today I ordered a back-up bottle of PBB, as I'm almost half way through a bottle I opened in January.

A reliable ink for official use or everyday writing.

This blue/black starts in the mid-blue colour range & only darkens a little with time.

I stand corrected.

I went back to the new Platinum website & looked up: Information about Ink. At the end, section #6 is about their Blue Black ink. ink.https://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/e_about_ink.html

In this section it is noted that blue dyes & ferrous tannic acid are combined to make Platinum Blue Black. They do not explain the source of the tannic acid but most likely it may be derived from oak galls.

Now, as far as tea is concerned, true it doesn't contain tannic acid per se.

Yet I was still racking my old brain to figure out where I read "tea" connected with Platinum inks. Was it mentioned on an insert that I may have thrown out when I discarded an ink box?

By chance I found the box for a recent arrival, Platinum's Cassis Black. On the one side of the box there is Japanese printing, on the other it said this in English: "Classic Ink

It is a water soluble ink made by blending ingredients derived from plants such as tea leaves with iron. It penetrates the paper & solidifies due to oxidation; therefore, it is suitable for preserving the documents for an extended period..."

So, while Platinum Blue Black is a true ferrogallic ink, the Classic series that are often referred to as iron-gall are made with the tannin from tea.

If you like greyish-blue black another option other than Diamine Archival Registrar's is Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I don't really like the very saturated blue-blacks, nor the teal blue blacks and Pelikan fits the bill. Dryish but doesn't dry out and nor hard start.

If you like greyish-blue black another option other than Diamine Archival Registrar's is Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I don't really like the very saturated blue-blacks, nor the teal blue blacks and Pelikan fits the bill. Dryish but doesn't dry out and nor hard start.

I like it too.

I like it too.

As I've mentioned on here frequently, 4001 B-B is my favourite ink of all time. Hence the avatar!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

4001 Blue Black is undoubtedly a great ink, and well-suited to ‘taming’ pens that ‘write wet’, but...

I have a pen which writes too wet. For black ink, Pelikan black would probably be a good choice.

I'm sure Pelikan blue/black would work, but I don't like the color. I don't like the way it darkens to almost black.

...the OP said that he dislikes its colour.

Which is why nobody has yet suggested the lovely Pelikan Edlestein Tanzanite blue black.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

4001 Blue Black is undoubtedly a great ink, and well-suited to ‘taming’ pens that ‘write wet’, but...

...the OP said that he dislikes its colour.

Which is why nobody has yet suggested the lovely Pelikan Edlestein Tanzanite blue black.

I have some, but it never occurred to me it would be a dry ink. Most of the inks with intense color (like Edelstein) have added surfactant so they will flow through the pen.

I will give it a try.

thx,

I have some, but it never occurred to me it would be a dry ink. Most of the inks with intense color (like Edelstein) have added surfactant so they will flow through the pen.

I will give it a try.

thx,

Tanzanite is ‘dry’ in as much as it was designed to work well in Pelikan Souverän pens, but I don’t think that it’s as ‘dry’ as R&K Salix.

More importantly, given that you said that you don’t like the colour of 4001 Blue Black, I think that you’ll find Tanzanite to also be too dark on the page.

It is, unsurprisingly, a very similar colour to 4001 Blue Black.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

No votes for the old school Montblanc Blue-Black ink? Pretty much my favorite day to day ink.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

No votes for the old school Montblanc Blue-Black ink? Pretty much my favorite day to day ink.

The "old" MB B-B ink was an iron-gall ink.

I thought it was a terrible ink - though it certainly would solve flow problems.

A half full bottle, after a little while of being exposed to the air, would completely stop flowing. I remember talking to a MB repair person (this would be many years ago) who told me he would never use it.

I haven't tried the new MB. I did try the MB Permanent ink. Not an iron-gall ink, but adhering to an ISO standard for permanence. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember that the flow characteristics were really nice - not too much, not too little.