Need Dry Blue-Black Ink

markh

I have a pen which writes too wet. For black ink, Pelikan black would probably be a good choice.

I'm sure Pelikan blue/black would work, but I don't like the color. I don't like the way it darkens to almost black.

Any suggestion for a blue/black, or maybe midnight blue ink that writes with a little less flow.

thx,

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• markh

• TSherbs

• Mercian

Diamine registrar’s. But it does darken significantly

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Stipula Dark Blue (Notturno Gianetra) is not only a beautiful color that finally made me fall in love with blue-black, it's dry (like the other Stips I've tried). I use them to tame my Pelikans, especially the Souverans. They don't dry quickly on the nib, either, another plus. It *is* dark, though.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

R&K Salix. Like most iron galls, on the dry side, but retains much of it's blue colour when dried.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

R&K Salix. Like most iron galls, on the dry side, but retains much of it's blue colour when dried.

+1

Right. It doesn't go to cold black. A blue-blue-black!

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Paltinum Blue-Black - In my opinion, just a decent dark blue. Well-behaved but I still prefer 4001!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

+1 for this. Not sure why i didn’t think of it. :P

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

+1

very dry, this will tame it

Another +1 for Salix.

It has a good degree of water-resistance and it also shades beautifully :)

Its only ‘de-merit’ (for me) is that it is not much more lightfast than Count Orlok.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Pilot blue black. Dry nice and not IG.

I like the looks of Pilot Blue-Black but was under the impression that it is a wet ink and may be too wet for my juicy Pelikan nibs. I like the performance of Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ink and wonder how Pilot Blue-Black would compare. Do you use the Pilot ink in wet-writing pens without excess flow?

Rumpole

My choice would be Platinum (Classic) Blue-Black & Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black. IMHO Pelikan is the driest of the two.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I liked Aurora Blue-Black but it is hard to find in my country, so I use Diamine Tavy, the blue is never lost in the background...

yes

yes

I too would add R&K Salix or Scabiosa to the list. They help stem fire-hose pens.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Another vote for Salix. It's not my favorite IG blue-black (that would be a tossup between KWZI IG Blue-Black and IG Blue #3) but if you need dry, Salix would be the one I'd reach for (and did, with the TWSBI 580-ALR with the firehose 1.1 mm. stub nib.

Diamine Registrar is probably even drier, but I didn't have a good experience with the sample I got -- it only oxidized to a washed out blue-grey. Lots of shading, but that's about all that could be said on its behalf....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lamy Blue-Black. It's a middle-of-the-road BB (balanced between blue and black tones) that runs to the dry side. It's ironically too dry in my Lamy 2000 with F nib.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I like the looks of Pilot Blue-Black but was under the impression that it is a wet ink and may be too wet for my juicy Pelikan nibs. I like the performance of Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ink and wonder how Pilot Blue-Black would compare. Do you use the Pilot ink in wet-writing pens without excess flow?

Rumpole

pilot blue black is definitely not a wet ink...it is one of the most consistent ink i've used and it dries quickly.

pilot blue black is definitely not a wet ink...it is one of the most consistent ink i've used and it dries quickly.

Good to hear. Thank you. I think my next ink will be a bottle of Pilot blue-black.

Rumpole