Using All My Ink - Recommend A Pen Or Nib To Help Me Do It

amberleadavis

vintage Montblanc 342 / Monte Rosa 042 (basically the same, nibs are interchangeable) + (oblique / bouble) broad nib

basically any vintage pen + broad nib (e.g. Pelikan, Osmia, Mercedes, Kaweco, ...)

Sailor pen + zoom or music nib

Platinum 3776 + music nib

Pilot + FA / WA / music nib

I'm not familiar with the 042 / 342. Now I shall see what I can find.

I really want more than a BB or B wet nib. I want something that writes like my Sheaffer but bigger / wider closer to 1.5 than 1.1.

I like the really crisp lines.

PS: The cheap Sailor Fude De Mannen with their bent steel nibs or Pilot Parallel Pens are also a whole lot of fun!!!

I hate the fude nibs. I've tried to like them, but hate them. I like sharp crisp lines.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Arkanabar

• JulieParadise

• Tseg

Want to drop some coin?

Wahl doric adjustable nib. If you can find a stub, holy moly.

Even the normal adjustable nibs are ungodly good.

Less coin? hunt down a vintage pelikan 140 or 400NN with a BB italic. semiflex 14k, glassy smooth.

Or for new, a parker duofold big red, get parker to swap it for a BBB.

I've looked at the Wahl. I saw one from a friend. WOW. I just don't think I can justify that kind of coin on a pen that I can't take with me.

I have a custom Parker DuoFold with an insane nib, but it just isn't right. Maybe I'll send it again to my friend to see if he can look at again. It was a nib that a nibmeister goofed before I got it, but I never considered a BBB nib.

Now, as for the Pelikan, will those old nibs fit into a modern pen?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I second the suggestion for the Pilot Parallel pens, they are fantastic for using up ink. Compared to other calligraphy pens with conventional nib and feed setup that might need tweaking, the Parallels just freaking work, it's awesome.

I'm looking for a pen that is something I can carry with me in a briefcase and looks a little more formal. I will however keep using the Parallels, because how else can I show off glitter?

fpn_1589342827__de.jpg

Lamy 2000 obb.

HMMMM.......

I'm not familiar with the 042 / 342. Now I shall see what I can find.

I really want more than a BB or B wet nib. I want something that writes like my Sheaffer but bigger / wider closer to 1.5 than 1.1.

Oh, the ones I mentioned (at least the ones I own) are comparable to a 1.1/1.5 mm calligraphy nib, with a wide & crisp outline.

The older (O)Bs and (O)BBs were almost all stubbish and more or less crisp, aaaand mostly wet, as back then (in the 50s) dry Iron Gall inks were pretty common. So often you get something more comparable to a modern music nib, plus added softness if not even flex. :P

Just beware of K-nibs as K stands for Kugel = ball, round tipping for people who rotate their pens when writing and thus have problems with a crisper/flatter nib.

Is the Namiki Yukari Royale Medium available in something like a huge cursive italic?

Sorry, Namiki Yukari Royale only available in F, M & B... my Medium with (juicy) Pilot Blue ink writes nearly like a Western broad.

I have another idea...

...instead of only looking for massively broad wet nibs, perhaps you could enjoy your inks by using a variety of nib widths to create a series of carpet pages in your journals/correspondance?

ETA: actually, this link is far better.

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

If you like the Safari and have several, Lamy's 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9mm calligraphy nibs can be fitted to it, and are sold separately. The Vista you lent me had a very nice 1.5mm calligraphy nib. It's just a shame that it was on a body with a triangular grip.

Don’t most LAMY pens use those same nibs?

i.e. in order to get the nib, but on a round-sectioned pen, couldn’t one put the calligraphy nib from a Joy on to a Pur, Logo, CP1, Aion, St, Studio, Scala, Accent, Dialog, or Imporium?

Or even a nexx or abc.

Edit: maybe not the Aion; that actually has a different nib.

Edited again: LAMY’s online shop lists the Z50 calligraphy nibs as being compatible with all their fountain pens apart from the 2000. So they can be put on to an Aion :)

Edited again again: I’m an idiot - the abc & nexx have the tripod-shaped grips :headsmack:

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

@Mercian: The Logo is the Lamy I consider when I think, "I want a pen for those Lamy calligraphy nibs." But it's almost too slim for me, and I have enough pens, and I don't really like writing with a 1.5 (let alone with a 1.9), and I'm happy with my most recent 1.0mm stub from FPR, and ... you get the drift.

I mean, I recently inked up my Baoer 388 and found that it had become too slim for my tastes. As I've loaded up on FPR's pens, I have found my preference for a little extra girth has grown stronger. The CP-1 is even more slim than the Logo. The Pur might do better; I would want to hold one, or see the sort of detailed measurements that Goulet is rightly appreciated for.

I would recommend a Leonardo Momento Zero with 1.5mm stub nib. This is a c/c pen and is nicely lighter in weight and well balanced. I had both of my 1.5mm nibs tuned by Danny Fudge so that they are very wet.

I also get bored with the same ink, although I do love my piston fillers - but more for the nibs.

I recently acquired an MB JFK Special Edition with a BB nib. It is a very wet nib. I can't put J. Herbin Eclat d Saphir in the pen because it is too wet. But all of my Pilot Iroshizuku inks are terrific, and even my driest MB inks work very well in the pen.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Okay, I'm going to start searching. Thank you all for the advice.

fpn_1589512956__img_20200514_155520.jpg

I just wanted you to know that I did some damage last night. Using the 6.0, I had to refill no less than 6 times will addressing these envelopes with the little message.

I did go find a Kaweco Twin Nib at Cult pens. I also bought a small set of their shimmertastics. I goofed by not getting Winter Miracle ink too.

I noticed that no one suggested the Triple Tail from Noodler's.

Lamy 2000 BB or BBB. Uses ink like a V8 uses petrol.

Edited by thx1138

I've looked at the Wahl. I saw one from a friend. WOW. I just don't think I can justify that kind of coin on a pen that I can't take with me.

I have a custom Parker DuoFold with an insane nib, but it just isn't right. Maybe I'll send it again to my friend to see if he can look at again. It was a nib that a nibmeister goofed before I got it, but I never considered a BBB nib.

Now, as for the Pelikan, will those old nibs fit into a modern pen?

Yes ma'am!

any nib unit from a 140 or 400NN will unscrew right out and right into a modern m2xx or m40x. My m215 has a nib unit that I scored from an otherwise ruined 140 for $40. My 400NN has BBB italic (it's labeled as a BB but throws down a 1.4mm line) that is utter glass, never skips or hard starts, is the perfect balance of wetness and has some serious flex, and I got it for $87, just needed a ride in the ultrasonic to get the piston moving again.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

@Honeybadger

You suggested this in another thread.

If you like wider broad nibs, I can recommend getting any pen with a #6 bock unit like a tactile turn gist or ranga and ordering a bock 14k music nib for about $140. It's pretty amazingly soft and decently flexible, going from 1mm to a full 2mm with ease, though under normal writing pressures it just gives a lot of character and expression. Mine needed a smidge of tuning to get rid of the occasional hard start but I'm pretty smitten with it.

What do you think about this for me? I have a pen around here that does take #6. I have a Kara's Kustom Block #6 Broad Titanium. Should I get that stubbed?

I want something that writes like my Sheaffer but bigger / wider closer to 1.5 than 1.1.

The author of the UK Fountain Pens blog wrote,

22ND JUN 2019

I recently bought an Aurora 88 with italic nib. _...‹snip›...

My italic is very crisp, with maximum line variation. It writes a medium-dry line. It is smoother than some other Aurora nibs I’ve used. But the line is at least 1.3mm, perhaps 1.5mm — it’s about the same width as my Pelikan Italic Broad or JoWo 1.5.

so maybe that would suit?

I bought the Aurora 88 Cento Italia commemorative edition pen with an 18K gold Italic nib, but unfortunately that nib was defective and I had to send it back and get refunded, so I can't comment on how the Italic nib would work in real life. (N.B. The nib on the pen I returned also had the 'hammerhead' shape.) I only have two Aurora Stub nibs now, but they probably don't write broadly enough for your requirements:

fpn_1589943864__aurora_88_minerali_amber

The widest lines in the paragraphs at the top measure 1.0mm across.

I hate the fude nibs. I've tried to like them, but hate them. I like sharp crisp lines.

I love Sailor pens and nibs, but I too hate the steel Fude de Mannen nibs on the cheap models (with MSRP ≤¥2,200); they're atrocious. Can't comment on the 21K gold Naginata Fude de Mannen nib or make a comparison, since I've never handled one.

How about a Sailor with a Naginata Cross Music nib, which is still in production and available for retail sales?

cross_music.jpg

Source: Sailor Pen

I'm looking for a pen that is something I can carry with me in a briefcase and looks a little more formal.

Will this do?

pen01.jpg

Source: Sailor Pen

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.