Reusing Parker 51 Breather Tubes?

Conradandhispens

Hi, I'm still on the fence about whether or not i've done the right thing by keeping the original sterling silver breather tube in my 51 aero, previously on my other 51 aero i replaced this as it was snapped off. but i decided to keep the original in this pen because i had no breather tubes on hand and shipping them to my country takes over 2 weeks, and with the whole Covid-19 thing i fear it would have taken longer. about 3mm snapped off the end where it goes into the feed (i did get the broken part out, using Ron Z's method) but now the little breather hole is a little closer to the feed than before, is this ok and is the pen going to fill and empty fine? the breather tube is clear and has no signs of further deterioration. Thanks all. (this is the same pen I made a post about not being able to get the hood off lol, as you can see im still learning :D)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conradandhispens

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• gweimer1

• mitto

I'm not an expert, but I think as long as the little breather hole on the side of the tube is still outside of the feed, you will be fine.

As I understand it, it just won't fill quite as much as before, because it only fills to the top/back end of the breather tube.

The hole in the side of the breather tube near the feed is to allow excess pressure/air escape from the sac when nib up, for example in a pressurized airplane cabin. This stops the pen from pushing ink up into the cap and making a mess.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

more info here http://www.richardspens.com/ref/anatomy/51.htm

(Richard to the rescue as usual!)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

I'm not an expert, but I think as long as the little breather hole on the side of the tube is still outside of the feed, you will be fine.

As I understand it, it just won't fill quite as much as before, because it only fills to the top/back end of the breather tube.

The hole in the side of the breather tube near the feed is to allow excess pressure/air escape from the sac when nib up, for example in a pressurized airplane cabin. This stops the pen from pushing ink up into the cap and making a mess.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

more info here http://www.richardspens.com/ref/anatomy/51.htm

(Richard to the rescue as usual!)

thanks for that, I never knew it only filled to the top of the tube. thanks for the link to richards article, that is very helpful information. im not to worried about it not filling up completely, as long as it does no damage to the pen im fine.

You may also want to use a small guitar string or wire to be sure the breather tube is clear.

thanks for that, I never knew it only filled to the top of the tube. thanks for the link to richards article, that is very helpful information. im not to worried about it not filling up completely, as long as it does no damage to the pen im fine.

You’re welcome. When i need to know something about a pen my first store is Richard’s website. Then here.

You should put up some pics of the new 51 :)

You’re welcome. When i need to know something about a pen my first store is Richard’s website. Then here.

You should put up some pics of the new 51 :)

I will, I haven't posted pics yet so i'm still figuring out how to lol.

You may also want to use a small guitar string or wire to be sure the breather tube is clear.

yes i did check with some fine copper wire and it was clear so I think it will be fine.

Here are some pictures of my 51's, the burgundy coloured one is the latest one I bought, and the gold cap one was the first ever vintage pen I bought.

fpn_1588988813__20200509_134013311_edite[/url]

hope I have done his right, my apologies if the pictures are wrong.

Nice.

Caps look like they are in good condition too!

:)

Do you know who TF Anderson was?

Nice.

Caps look like they are in good condition too!

:)

Do you know who TF Anderson was?

Yes they are in good condition, when I bought the pen I didn't even know it had a name on it as the seller didn't add photos of it, I usually don't like pens with name engraving on them. I don't know who he or she was, but I know they would be happy that there pen is back in service and being enjoyed :)

:D

I have three with engravings

a Teal '49 Aero with William Jamieson on it with a well worn M/B nib. This was my first "51" and what got me hooked

a Black Demi aero with S Kates on it (and the most disturbingly smooth EF nib EVER!)

and a Black Vac with gold blue diamond cap that I got still working with JG on it, and on it's matching pencil in the original box

While I understand that for some the engravings take value away (and I understand why), for me it's like getting a discount on a pen that I wanted anyway :)

:D

I have three with engravings

a Teal '49 Aero with William Jamieson on it with a well worn M/B nib. This was my first "51" and what got me hooked

a Black Demi aero with S Kates on it (and the most disturbingly smooth EF nib EVER!)

and a Black Vac with gold blue diamond cap that I got still working with JG on it, and on it's matching pencil in the original box

While I understand that for some the engravings take value away (and I understand why), for me it's like getting a discount on a pen that I wanted anyway :)

I'd love to see some photos of your 51s' if you wouldn't mind, love me some p51 eye candy :D I just like to have pens how they were when they left the factory, its just me lol, but i still buy any p51 if the price is right.

This is about as good as I can do until I finally get around to upgrading the lighting in my basement

I have no idea who any of these people were :(

It looks to me as though JG was never coloured in

William Jamieson was almost completely lacking its colour when I got it, but I could see it had been filled with silver. So I filled it with silver crayon wax

S.Kates I'm not sure of. It MAY have been filled with white at some point. I haven't even polished this pen yet. I I cleaned it, filled it and marvelled at the INCREDIBLY smooth EF nib. :)

IMG_6118.jpeg

EDIT: oh wow.. the forum took a 2MB file and compressed it to 66k... it looks freaking terrible now... I mean, it wasn't great to start with but wow... it looks BAD now.

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

This is about as good as I can do until I finally get around to upgrading the lighting in my basement

I have no idea who any of these people were :(

It looks to me as though JG was never coloured in

William Jamieson was almost completely lacking its colour when I got it, but I could see it had been filled with silver. So I filled it with silver crayon wax

S.Kates I'm not sure of. It MAY have been filled with white at some point. I haven't even polished this pen yet. I I cleaned it, filled it and marvelled at the INCREDIBLY smooth EF nib. :)

attachicon.gif IMG_6118.jpeg

EDIT: oh wow.. the forum took a 2MB file and compressed it to 66k... it looks freaking terrible now... I mean, it wasn't great to start with but wow... it looks BAD now.

nice pens! I looove the parker 51 set, so nice, missed out on one exactly like that not long ago near me actually. BTW all my pics I just take outside in natural light with my phone, it seems to turn out better than artificial lights.

Thanks

I would go outside but:

1) It was cold and windy all day and we had blowing snow

2) is 4am and totally dark now :)

Thanks

I would go outside but:

1) It was cold and windy all day and we had blowing snow

2) is 4am and totally dark now :)

yeah that's the only downside lol. :) how many p51s do you have in total by the way?

15 + 3 I'm kinda sorta trying to sell.

When I crossed 700 mark a couple years ago I stopped counting.

very jealous.