Gutenberg Blue - 1930-Ish

Inked

Hello folks

I bought an old ink bottle because I love the old style of these shoe bottles.

I think it is from the late 1920's, early 30's based on the glass and Bakelite cap. Very similar to some of the earliest Montblanc caps.

If anyone has any other info on this company/time period please chime in as the great www is pretty void of info except for a few pics.

I revived a little of the dried powder in the bottle, and the results are below.

Enjoy,

Inked

fpn_1588896632__gutenberg_tank.jpg

fpn_1588897200__gutenberg_tank_tinte_blu

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inked

• mana

• AidenMark

• OMASsimo

Fun read. Thanks for sharing. I'd bet there's supposed to be more ink and less water, for a darker blue, but that's totally a guess. Enjoy your dried up ink! ;)

nice colour! reminds me of Noodler's Midway or Navajo Turquoise (both are very close to one another, but i find Navajo somewhat more saturated)

Thank you for sharing. now the next person who googles for the ink will at least find this thread and these pictures!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thanks for sharing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi,

great find! Very nice bottle, a nice blue.

They should revive that glass for their G10 iron gall ink (brown-black colored).

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

What an amusing bottle.

I wonder how this blue compares to modern Gutemberg inks, assuming it's the same company who used to make Montblanc ink's.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

This seems like a fun experience. I cannot read the label in your photo, unfortunately. The typography might help dating this old and beautiful bottle.

Fun read. Thanks for sharing. I'd bet there's supposed to be more ink and less water, for a darker blue, but that's totally a guess. Enjoy your dried up ink! ;)

Just for you .....more ink, less water......

fpn_1589138394__gutenberg_tank_tinte_blu

Inked

nice colour! reminds me of Noodler's Midway or Navajo Turquoise (both are very close to one another, but i find Navajo somewhat more saturated)

Thank you for sharing. now the next person who googles for the ink will at least find this thread and these pictures!

What colour does it remind you of now?

This was, as usual, the first place I came for info as well.

Inked

Just for you .....more ink, less water......

fpn_1589138394__gutenberg_tank_tinte_blu

Inked

Nice! I like this one even better. Sort of Diamine Misty Blue-ish, but not. :)

Thank you, I really like what came out from that first attempt, very soothing ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What colour does it remind you of now?

This was, as usual, the first place I came for info as well.

Inked

I'm not sure now... It's more of a true blue and far less of a turquoise. Nothing i have in my ink collection. I have turquoises and blue blacks. kinda looks like other peoples pictures of Serenity/Florida blue i guess.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Dear mana,

it seems... those are made for dip pens, but they have some inks for fp's with the classic Gutenberg logo: https://www.gutenberg-shop.de/anilintinte.html

You made me discover a new ig ink. Or is this relabled ESSRI?

https://www.gutenberg-shop.de/bibeltinte.html

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Dear mana,

it seems... those are made for dip pens, but they have some inks for fp's with the classic Gutenberg logo: https://www.gutenberg-shop.de/anilintinte.html

Ah, sorry, was supposed to post the other link... but the company is the same? ;) Anyway, I think the people who are actually interested in this can do the research themselves.

I think that is the shop of the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz. The ink they are selling is made by

GUTENBERG GmbH of Bergdorf near Hannover, who also made the shoe bottle in the OPs post.

"For over 80 years Läufer as well as Gutenberg, leading manufacturers and marketers of high quality products in the stationary trade."

They used to make Montblanc's inks but seem to have retreated now to a few basic school colours and a line of Notary inks. The colours are not very inspiring but, if it is still made in house, I would bet it is good quality ink.

The firm went insolvent in 2011 ( a bad thing for ink :)) and was restructured. This probably explains their now modest presence in the fountain pen ink market.

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi