The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fake Sonnets On The Internet

parker sonnet fake internet

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2020 - 16:07

There is a further issue that sellers may be using genuine Parkers in their ad, the pen that arrives may be different altogether.

It is foolish mentality, if the seller creates a plain clip and without Parker branding they could have a very good looking and saleable pen at close to Jinhao money.

Kaigelu make a very nice Sonnet look alike ball pen. It is clearly marked Kaigelu, made in China so is not pretending to be something it is not (they also make a Duofold look alike). Good pens at a very reasonable price and not trying to deceive. Sadly there are many who are not so honest.

Peter

Sponsored Content

#42 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2020 - 17:38

A friend at our pen club gave me a Baoer 388 that looks very much like my Sonnet, except for a smaller cap jewel and a narrower band. Even the nib is engraved Baoer and so is the converter. No attempt to deceive. Writes pretty nicely too.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#43 PeterR-C

PeterR-C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:39

This is all really interesting. thx1138, the pen you post photos of is out of stock - because it is the very one I bought!! I should have looked at the photos more closely. Next time... As you say, all the other sonnets this vendor shows also appear to be dodgy. Also the Australian ballpoint with the *glowing* reviews is definitely wrong. I have ordered a Baoer 388 for £5.99 for "educational purposes" to have a look at it alongside my sonnets. It hasn't arrived yet, but in the photo the feather appear to be pretty close to the real thing. If, as you point out, a different pen is used in the photo, then maybe the Baoer isn't that close. I've ordered the one that mimics the 1997-2003 deep red laque, which I have a genuine one of (I hope...).

I'll post photos of the Baoer cap when it arrives.

#44 cabbie

cabbie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 17:50

On a recent Facebook thread, someone claimed some fakes were authentic because China was licenced to make Parker pens. I thought this was just bunk but not educated about the topic enough to make a reasonable reply. I am aware that Luxor in India makes Parker's but I thought China had never been on the list. I am aware of the Parker/Hero attempt on 45s.

Edited by cabbie, 06 June 2020 - 17:52.

fpn_1543178351__apc_logo_bw_square-02__7

#45 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 00:57

Actually the Newhaven factory closed in 2010 and the last pens were made in 2009. But, of course, the Sonnet was never made in Newhaven.

Wikipedia has it as 2011.

So it goes.

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#46 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:55

Wikipedia has it as 2011.

So it goes.

Never believe everything you read in Wikipedia as they rely on input from the public which is often in error.

Peter

#47 ngekomo

ngekomo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:29

Are you sure this is a fake as that seller appears to be an authorised Parker dealer?

from the image i can confirm that it is fake

furthermore the model is not Tartan, but Sonnet 07 "Silver Lustre" shown with wrong nib and both tartan and silver lustre is (i believe) rhodium nickel/palladium over brass instead of sterling

found old image:

fpn_1502970677__sonnet.jpg

#48 PeterR-C

PeterR-C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 17:03

Finally the Baoer has arrived. Here are photos of the whole pen, clearly marked Baoer, alongside the Sonnet deep red laque, and also the caps. The sonnet feathers are very thin, taper towards each end, and give the appearance of having been incised. The Baoer feathers look as if they were stamped, although with pointier ends than the usual sonnet fakes, and after tat dipped in whatever gives it the glitzy shiny gold appearance.

#49 PeterR-C

PeterR-C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 17:09

deep laque red vs Baoer.jpg

#50 hankosaurus

hankosaurus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 23:03

Hello Forum.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and I appreciate the insights shared.

Inspired by others on FPN and partly out of curiosity I bought a red Chinese Sonnet.  Looked nice, and so I wondered if it might perform okay as an everyday, take me with you anywhere pen.  When the pen arrived I discovered that the nib was defective... more than a little.  Specifically, the capillary channel was very wide all the way to the tip of the nib.  If I held the nib up, ink would run out of the nib back to the frontpiece.  It was hard to start because the very tip of the nib had a V shaped end, an order of magnitude worse than what our fellow Forum Members call "baby butt."  See letter "a." in sketch below.

Letter "b." is a better representation of what I was hoping for but did not get.

Thinking "Well, I just got a lemon" I ordered one more, this time in black.  Same problem with the wide capillary channel to the end.  But this pen had one tine significantly longer than the other.  See letter "c." in sketch below.

It took a considerable amount of coaxing, grinding, and polishing to get these pens to work.  They are both serviceable, but I am sure that anyone who does not know anything about tuning nibs would be very, very unhappy with what I received.   I am now wondering if there is a source for replacement nibs that could be fitted to Chinese fake Sonnets (other than Parker's real gold nibs).  I haven't found any.

Finally, like some others, I came to this conclusion:  If one wants an affordable Chinese pen which was inspired by the Parker Sonnet, he/she should consider the Baoer 388.  It's under USD $3.  It looks great.  It works well.  Its standard No. 5 nibs are easily found and replaced. It takes a universal cartridge or converter.  It's not a shameless fake.  For the meantime the 388 is my take me with you anywhere pen.  It's the horizontal pen in the photo.

Attached Images

• IMG_7753b.jpg

Edited by hankosaurus, 10 August 2020 - 00:32.

Henry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, sonnet, fake, internet

Sponsored Content

|