What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

The other brand sections have this kind of thread, and I couldn't believe we don't have one for Parker. So here we go.

What Parkers have you added to your collection lately? We have 100 years worth of pens with the Parker name, and some of us are addicted to gathering them up.

I have a number of items on order, both vintage and modern, and I will mention those as they arrive over the next few weeks. But to get us started, here's the ebay photo of a P45 I just scored:

147497894_147496848_s-l1600.jpg

Burgundy Parker 45, 14k Medium - described as NOS. In fact, that's how I found it. I was searching for gold P45 nibs. I had to grab this one because:

1. I don't have this color yet. (I am hoping it's not the same color as my red one.)

2. A gold Medium nib is my P45 sweet spot. (I do have a 14k broad nib unit on the way, too, to upgrade one of my two steel Fines.)

3. That squeeze converter alone could cost half of what I just paid for this pen, and I only have one of those. My other P45s use carts or one of the modern twist converters.

So, now it's your turn. Let's keep this one going, shall we?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my second '42 Parker 51. It was sent to Parker51 to be restored.

fpn_1586901184__new_51.jpg

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

sent to Parker51 to be restored.

Ooh, tell me more about this. I might need such a service in the future.

I recognize that I was quite fortunate in my beloved Vac 51, an ebay purchase which works perfectly. Might not be so lucky with a 51/Special/21 next time. . .

No pix yet (Real Life™ has invaded with a vengeance). But since Christmas (when I got a Parker Vector Geometric -- I really need to take pictures to see if someone can read the date code because it's sort of difficult to make out what the letters and # of dots are), I picked up a Parker 75 Ciselé with a broad nib that I'm liking very much. And I don't know where he's stashed them, but my husband picked up a Burgundy Parker 51 Special and what I think is a Teal 51 Demi (the later hoop-filler style), as well as some unidentified Waterman, all at a booth at an antiques show we were at a couple of months ago -- and he paid four bucks apiece for the three pens! I had been waffling a bit -- I don't know enough about Watermans in general, and already have a burgundy 51 Special, and a full size Teal Aero, but he said "Oh, for that price...." and scooped them up. But I have no clue what's happened to them since.... :huh:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

But I have no clue what's happened to them since.... :huh:

:lticaptd: Easy come, easy go?

I wish I had so many $4 vintage Parkers that I could afford to misplace them. Or that I had someone to blame, if I did misplace them.

I think that, apart from my 1980's jotter BP, the age-as-yet-unknown P25 I ebay'd this weekend, and the brand new modern red Jotter FP I ordered yesterday, I haven't paid under $40 for any of my Parkers. I need to shop where you shop. :P

As I'm getting into expanding my ink collection to try colours other than blue I have looked anew at the 45s that were my everyday school pens some 40 plus years ago, 3 black Arrows and a black Classic, as the 45 has the advantage of being easier to clean for a colour change that the 51s and 61s that I've been using.

Of course, putting a couple of these back into use led to a quick look at Ebay, just for interest you understand, which has resulted in a job lot purchase of 3 more 45s (all user grade) which arrived last week:

• a Midnight blue Arrow with a gold medium nib but no converter;
  • a Midnight blue Classic with a gold broad stub (nib code W) and squeeze converter; and
  • an Olive green Classic with steel medium nib and squeeze converter;

and 3 more in the post from another 2 Ebay purchases. I must learn self control !

And also some parts of Parkers have arrived from purchases from pen shops (again as a result of my exploration of inks):

• a steel medium italic nib (code D); and
  • a gold broad oblique (code Z).

Must learn self control ! :wallbash:

I've been using the italic this week and really enjoying the look, my previous experience being limited to fine and medium nibs.

Next week I shall ink my new Midnight blue Classic with the W nib for use, having decided to use a different pen and ink each week for my notes as I work from home during the C-19 lockdown.

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

Must learn self control ! :wallbash:

I fear my creating this thread is not going to help you. It's certainly not going to help me with the same struggle!

Ooh, tell me more about this. I might need such a service in the future.

I recognize that I was quite fortunate in my beloved Vac 51, an ebay purchase which works perfectly. Might not be so lucky with a 51/Special/21 next time. . .

So, my first 51 was nicely restored, but not so with the second. The seller either was dishonest or inept. Anyway, I contacted Parker51 via email and a very nice gentleman responded that he did re-restorations. I felt like $35 was more than affordable. I don't think from the time I mailed the pen until it returned was more than 10 days.

http://parker51.com/index.php/repairs/

Edited by Estycollector

So, my first 51 was nicely restored, but not so with the second. The seller either was dishonest or inept. Anyway, I contacted Parker51 via email and a very nice gentleman responded that he did re-restorations. I felt like $35 was more than affordable. I don't think from the time I mailed the pen until it returned was more than 10 days.

http://parker51.com/index.php/repairs/

Fantastic! I shall bookmark this site. It also gives me a bit more comfort when viewing auctions on the usual "sold as found; not tested" auctions for this model, knowing I could clean it up for that small fee.

Fantastic! I shall bookmark this site. It also gives me a bit more comfort when viewing auctions on the usual "sold as found; not tested" auctions for this model, knowing I could clean it up for that small fee.

One wonderful thing about our hobby is being able to switch on a day to day basis from one iconic brand to another. Tomorrow I will be using a circa 1932 Esterbrook "Dollar" with a 3556 flat feed nib coupled with a circa correct Dollar mechanical pencil.

For me the enjoyment is getting into the weeds and being able to use for a practical daily purpose of communication.

A 1928 Sr. Duofold user grade with an extra-fine Duofold nib. Feed appears to be a Vacumatic style.

And I don't know where he's stashed them, but my husband picked up a Burgundy Parker 51 Special and what I think is a Teal 51 Demi (the later hoop-filler style), as well as some unidentified Waterman, all at a booth at an antiques show we were at a couple of months ago -- ... But I have no clue what's happened to them since.... :huh:

Sooner or later they will come to you. ;)

I recently got hold of a nearly mint 75 Spanish Treasure and I have just ordered a Jotter Jubilee 50th Anniversary silver ballpoint cap to upgrade an old jotter that I had in a drawer.

Peter

Further to my earlier post, here's a couple of pictures of the new arrivals!

E7D63A04-564E-49BC-8D33-AC0EDD894911.jpeg

D81A35CC-E8B5-4910-8148-C4C69057C9B6.jpeg

The Arrow has its first owners name engraved on the barrel.

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

Further to my earlier post, here's a couple of pictures of the new arrivals!

Fantastic! The Arrow looks pretty good.

*looks over notes*

I have 9 Parkers on the way now, of various models, some new and some vintage. Plus a 14k B nib unit to upgrade one of my P45s - I am tired of my two Fine and one EF. And my order of 5 twist converters yesterday almost cleaned out Pen Chalet's inventory. (I emailed first, and she told me they had 6-8 on hand) So if anyone goes to that site looking for Parker converters, I apologize. :P

I'll take some pics as things begin arriving this weekend. (a couple of pens are coming from England, so they'll be awhile)

I think I am good for the moment. But I have been eyeing some lovely P75's and feeling interested in getting a P51 Demi. :gaah:

Nine! At least I don't feel so bad now!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the new arrivals.

In the last month:

my first 45 - a 1970s ‘Flighter’ with a steel ‘M’ nib, and;

a 1954 aerometric “51” in Burgundy that came to me with a Lustralloy cap that has the long clip, so is presumably from 1948-9.

The sac of the “51” is still totally clear, so it has either been replaced, or the pen has hardly ever been used. From the clarity of the imprint on the barrel, I presume the latter.

It will be getting a lot of use by me! :D

ETA: I’m in the UK. Both of my ‘new’ Parkers have imprints that proclaim that they were made in England.

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

:lticaptd: Easy come, easy go?

I wish I had so many $4 vintage Parkers that I could afford to misplace them. Or that I had someone to blame, if I did misplace them.

I think that, apart from my 1980's jotter BP, the age-as-yet-unknown P25 I ebay'd this weekend, and the brand new modern red Jotter FP I ordered yesterday, I haven't paid under $40 for any of my Parkers. I need to shop where you shop. :P

Well the Waterman (some lever filler but with an inlaid nib) had the cap for one of the Parkers on it, and the cap for it was on the corresponding Parker.... That helped, I suspect. Sometimes people just don't realize what they've got, and/or are just trying to unload it. B)

I think it's hilarious that "Mr. Bic Fine Point" is the one who scooped them up. I didn't really need a second Burgundy 51 Special, know very little about Watermans, and was trying to make up my mind about the 51 Demi as to whether it was Teal or Midnight Blue; and figured that it was early enough in the morning I could work my way around the other rooms (the show was at a country club) and then go back and see if they were still there). What he's done with them since then, though, is anyone's guess (and given that I had to tell him three times this evening what my PIN number for my cellphone is, because he's been having really bad allergy attacks the last couple of days, he may not know either.... :wallbash:

Of course, you wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near me the time a couple of years ago in a multi-building antiques mall north of me wanted $295 US for some vintage Waterman where the nib was bent at about a 90° angle.... :o Made me hurt just looking at it. And the woman who opened the case wasn't overly happy when I told her that it was not worth anywhere NEAR that price because of the condition....

As for cleaning a place out of converters I did something similar at Christmastime, picking up 4 of the twist converters at Fountain Pen Hospital; discovered that several of my Vectors didn't have converters in them (I could have sworn they had, until I went to fill them... :huh:).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."