The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

When Did R Mark Appear

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leftyFPlover

leftyFPlover

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 23:59

Happy quarantine! I've searched MOST of the 143 pages to this forum. About all I could turn up was the "early" J's didn't have the R (Registered) mark on the imprint, and that the R came "later".

Does anyone have any idea WHEN this might have happened? Not an exact date, but closer than "later" or "early"?

Thanks! Sorry to see the Forum so quiet lately!

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:40

The Paul Hoban book doesn't mention the ® that I could find, but the imprint did change from "R. Esterbrook & Co" to simply "Esterbrook" around 1944.  It could be that the registered trademark appeared at that time.

#3 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:24

Anderon's Esterbrook.net says the Dollar Pen two hole clip ran from 1934 to 1942. All of mine have the R. Esterbrook and no registration mark. So, 1943-44 sounds correct. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:34

The transitional J pens seem to be a dividing point, as well, since the barrels have been known to have both imprints, depending on the pen.

#5 leftyFPlover

leftyFPlover

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2020 - 18:53

That pins (pens?) it down much closer. Thanks, everyone!

#6 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 23:43

I think Mr. Anderson wrote an article for the Pennant (a number of years ago)  regarding the Esterbrook imprint and their chronology. My recollection is that he had accumulated a substantial amount of data on the subject.

Sponsored Content

|